Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enigmatic2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
When I try to set up Time Machine, I only have the choice of one of my two external drives (NOT the one I want to use for it, of course). Is this because they are daisy-chained? It's the only thing I can think of. Very odd.

MyMac8MyPC

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Is it a Intel Mac? If so then the ext. drive needs to be formatted as GUID. Try un-daisy-chaining it and see if TM sees it then...

TheZA

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
I'm having the same problem. What is GUID format? I have a LaCie external with two volumes. It is not daisy chained.I've erased the volume I want to use and formated in apple extended journaled. Help!

TheZA

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
It's for Mac Intel machines.

OK thanks. I realized my external was not in GUID. I partitioned my Mac HD using leopard, booted off Tiger on my external, then cloned Tiger onto the partition on my Mac HD. I then reformatted my external with GUID partition. ***** Time Machine still won't recognize. I've erased, I've reformatted, I've rebooted. It shows in Finder and I can copy to it.

I give up. Time Machine sucks, because of that Leopard sucks, I've had it.

And yes, I'm on Intel C2D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.