Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
May in you in peace Johnny Cash. My prayers go out to his family and friends. I greatly enjoyed his singing voice and songs. There will not be another like him!

SumDumGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2002
Loserville
Johnny Cash was a truly talented man. He was just recently named the greatest man in country music on CMT. I no fan country music, but I liked Johnny Cash. He will be missed.

My name is Sue! How do you do! Now you gonna die!

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by SumDumGuy
Johnny Cash was a truly talented man. He was just recently named the greatest man in country music on CMT. I no fan country music, but I liked Johnny Cash. He will be missed.

My name is Sue! How do you do! Now you gonna die!

Johnny Cash was the truest manifestation of rock 'n' roll. Where the kids of the day, limp bizkit, linkin park, kid rock, et. al. can't get it right, Johnny never failed.

They *think* they're rockin' but they're so fluffly. Johnny Cash, now there's a star. Humble and true, with more talent than all of n'sync combined, with more passion than any musician in any popular music could imagine.... johnny cash.

The man wasn't country. He wasn't rock 'n' roll. He was music. He was truth. Honesty. Life.

It's impossible to say that he was country, rock, folk, anything. Just music. And wonderfully poignant, sometimes sad, often menacing and always insightful music at that. True talent need not be measure in how many notes you can play. True success need not be measures in the records you sell. True success is topping the ethereal, the esoteric. Johnny is the man who did it. All the time. Everytime. So many years and NEVER a bad song.

The raspy voice never grew tired, even at 71. The youthful abadoned turned into aged wisdom. There's no artist in music today who can even hold a candle to this man. Not dylan, not mcartney, not JT, not the boss. It's all good in some respects but it's still not and will never be Johnny Cash.

We'll never have another... but we have his legacy. We have his adventurousness. We have his ESSENCE, his life and his breath on every album he's ever recording. On every show caught on tape, on every pluck of that big ol' Gibson Hummingbird.

We have life on record. On CD. On mp3 even. We've been lucky to have him. We'll never see that talent again, not in music, not in poetry, not in art, not in theatre or film. There will never be another Johnny. No one on this earth will ever embody that much realness and be able to transfer it to a medium everyone can relate to.

If there's a god, he's wearing black today. And if there's angels, they've set aside their white frocks and wings in exchange for black suits and traded their horns for hammond organs and gibson acoustics, awaiting the man to pass through the gates. After signing tons of autographs first, methinks. :)

000111one111000

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2001
DeKalb, IL
The second I saw this news, I almost wanted to cry. I'm normally a metal/electronica kind of guy, but I frickin loved Johnny Cash.

And in case you haven't seen it yet, you should go see the video for his cover of Nine Inch Nails' song "Hurt."

Hurt

Probably one of the best videos I think I've ever seen.

Take a gander at some of the other videos too. Mark Romanek is an amazing director.

Goodbye Johnny.

Jason

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Oh man, Johnny Cash is dead, that's not even remotely fair, he was a god amongst mortals, a genuine original.

I grew up listening to him, my dad loved his music, I have "I walk the line", "Boy named Sue", "Folsom Prison Blues" and many others on the iPod. He was the only C&W singer I had any time for.

This is sad news, he will be sorely missed.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Of note:

Hurt by Johnny Cash is today's top song on the iTunes Music Store and his album American IV - The Man Comes Around is the top album.

Thanks Johnny...

Java

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
Marin County (where else?)
simply beautiful

Originally posted by SilentPanda
Of note:

Hurt by Johnny Cash is today's top song on the iTunes Music Store and his album American IV - The Man Comes Around is the top album.

Thanks Johnny...

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread today.

johnny_cash.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.