Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Apr 13, 2002, 11:11 AM   #1
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
OS X Rising...

MacWorld UK has an excellent article about Mac OS X and developer support.

Kerris confirmed that Mac OS X is attracting a new wave of developers. Former Unix, NeXT and Java developers are moving in, and threatening to shake-up the industry.

The article continues with developer testimony about OS X as a development platform, as well as in Production houses and studios... Of note, they report that Sony is considering porting it's in house Unix apps to OS X.
arn is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2002, 11:18 AM   #2
King Cobra

Send a message via AIM to King Cobra
I am glad to hear that so many developers are going to support Mac OS X. The more Applications, the better.

Now if only Strata would make an OS X native version of their 3D software, and if Pacific Tech could release an X version of their Graphing Calculator, then I would be set.

Yes, I know...Photoshop should be around the corner.

Any time is a great time for iPod.
King Cobra is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2002, 11:49 AM   #3
elgruga
macrumors 6502

OSX - doing what Linux didnt?

This article suggests that OSX is going to go where Linux has gone - only much further.

That "Pros" will use OSX, and that its equally OK, and usable, for us mere mortals(!) is VERY good news for Apple.

Putting the best user interface on to a modern UNIX may turn out to be the best thing Apple ever came up with.

Perhaps the only problem for a 10-15% market share is the inability of the UNIX crowd to build their own hardware with OSX......
elgruga is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2002, 01:02 PM   #4
kishba
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to kishba
reading articles like this one makes me happy to be part of the mac community... there's a whole new world opening up as the "underdogs" are being empowered by apple... many small companies and individuals are pumping out some incredible apps--apps that rival large & well known programs (take internet browsers as an example)

each time i read an article about unix gurus switching over, i feel like i should join them and try to program for the mac... then i realize how crappy of a programmer i am

some day i will give cocoa & objective c a go, but not right now... web programming (php, mysql) is enough for me!

good luck to all the programmers working hard for apple!

"I personally don't give a shiza what Intel is at and personally i'm tired of hearing about them. Intel based machines don't run OS X or Final Cut Pro. End of story." - nuckinfutz (60)

amen.
kishba is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2002, 01:14 PM   #5
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
MDR

I just got the Developers Tool Kit on CD in the mail yesterday and I haven't had a chance to play with it, hopefully sometime this weekend. Its nice to see the Mac being considered more and more as a development platform. For so long the PC market has been much larger and overshadowed Apple. I'm all for a Mac Development Revolution!

Old Apr 13, 2002, 06:13 PM   #6
buffsldr
macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X brought me to Apple. Consumers and pros alike find many attractive features with OS X. It will be an exciting year to see if it actually affects AAPL
buffsldr is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2002, 06:21 PM   #7
D0ct0rteeth
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to D0ct0rteeth Send a message via MSN to D0ct0rteeth Send a message via Yahoo to D0ct0rteeth Send a message via Skype™ to D0ct0rteeth
jeez.. you think with all these developers i could scan something in OSX...

C-

D0ct0rteeth is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2002, 06:45 PM   #8
Choppaface
macrumors 65816

speaking of that, are there any TWAIN softies that I could perhaps use with my 8 year old scanner?
Choppaface is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2002, 07:40 PM   #9
Zaren
macrumors member

Wink Sony?

Sony's going to being porting their dev apps to osx? Wonder if that means anything else will be going to osx

-------------------

Do you have the way out?
http://www.cafepress.com/thewayout
Zaren is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2002, 09:53 PM   #10
eric_n_dfw
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to eric_n_dfw Send a message via MSN to eric_n_dfw Send a message via Yahoo to eric_n_dfw Send a message via Skype™ to eric_n_dfw
Scanner

Quote:
Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth
jeez.. you think with all these developers i could scan something in OSX...

C-

Check out www.hamrick.com, Viewscan is pretty cool, especially the latest versions.
eric_n_dfw is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2002, 09:57 PM   #11
buffsldr
macrumors 6502a

can you verify that url? i got a server not found error
buffsldr is offline   0
Old Apr 14, 2002, 01:43 AM   #12
eric_n_dfw
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to eric_n_dfw Send a message via MSN to eric_n_dfw Send a message via Yahoo to eric_n_dfw Send a message via Skype™ to eric_n_dfw
Quote:
Originally posted by buffsldr
can you verify that url? i got a server not found error
www.hamrick.com

Sorry, the "," after it got glommed onto the link in my earlier post.
eric_n_dfw is offline   0
Old Apr 14, 2002, 11:48 AM   #13
Newborn77
macrumors newbie

Re: Scanner

Quote:
Originally posted by eric_n_dfw

Check out www.hamrick.com, Viewscan is pretty cool, especially the latest versions.
I agree with you, Viewscan is a great app.
Except that it doesn't support my UMAX 2200 scanner. I don't mind since it's a shareware app developed by a single person. And I know that programming is not an easy task. And according to the author this particular UMAX model (along with many others) has a chipset or something that is very very hard to program for.
The question is. When will UMAX take some action and develop the damn OS X drivers for their own scanners?!?!?
I emailed them for this same reason and received a reply saying they were not sure if OS X drivers/app would ever be developed for my scanner. Which is less than 2 years old!
Newborn77 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)