Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
MacWorld UK has an excellent article about Mac OS X and developer support.

Kerris confirmed that Mac OS X is attracting a new wave of developers. Former Unix, NeXT and Java developers are moving in, and threatening to shake-up the industry.

The article continues with developer testimony about OS X as a development platform, as well as in Production houses and studios... Of note, they report that Sony is considering porting it's in house Unix apps to OS X.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I am glad to hear that so many developers are going to support Mac OS X. The more Applications, the better.

Now if only Strata would make an OS X native version of their 3D software, and if Pacific Tech could release an X version of their Graphing Calculator, then I would be set.

Yes, I know...Photoshop should be around the corner.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
OSX - doing what Linux didnt?

This article suggests that OSX is going to go where Linux has gone - only much further.

That "Pros" will use OSX, and that its equally OK, and usable, for us mere mortals(!) is VERY good news for Apple.

Putting the best user interface on to a modern UNIX may turn out to be the best thing Apple ever came up with.

Perhaps the only problem for a 10-15% market share is the inability of the UNIX crowd to build their own hardware with OSX......

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
reading articles like this one makes me happy to be part of the mac community... there's a whole new world opening up as the "underdogs" are being empowered by apple... many small companies and individuals are pumping out some incredible apps--apps that rival large & well known programs (take internet browsers as an example)

each time i read an article about unix gurus switching over, i feel like i should join them and try to program for the mac... then i realize how crappy of a programmer i am :)

some day i will give cocoa & objective c a go, but not right now... web programming (php, mysql) is enough for me!

good luck to all the programmers working hard for apple!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
MDR

I just got the Developers Tool Kit on CD in the mail yesterday and I haven't had a chance to play with it, hopefully sometime this weekend. Its nice to see the Mac being considered more and more as a development platform. For so long the PC market has been much larger and overshadowed Apple. I'm all for a Mac Development Revolution!

:D

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Mac OS X brought me to Apple. Consumers and pros alike find many attractive features with OS X. It will be an exciting year to see if it actually affects AAPL

Newborn77

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
Caracas, Venezuela
Re: Scanner

Originally posted by eric_n_dfw

Check out http://www.hamrick.com, Viewscan is pretty cool, especially the latest versions.

I agree with you, Viewscan is a great app. :D
Except that it doesn't support my UMAX 2200 scanner. I don't mind since it's a shareware app developed by a single person. And I know that programming is not an easy task. And according to the author this particular UMAX model (along with many others) has a chipset or something that is very very hard to program for. :eek:
The question is. When will UMAX take some action and develop the damn OS X drivers for their own scanners?!?!? :mad:
I emailed them for this same reason and received a reply saying they were not sure if OS X drivers/app would ever be developed for my scanner. Which is less than 2 years old!:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.