Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dho

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
California
I think it will be interesting to see what has changed in this build. How much would they fix/add while panther is right around the corner?

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
Cool, cool. Does Apple have a typical timeline, or period between when they seed a build and when the final update is released to the general public? I suppose this will be the last Jaguar update until Panther comes along, eh?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
As someone else post (Arn, maybe?), not everyone will move to Panther, so Apple still has to maintain Jag for a while yet.

The changes were in the same areas as the last 10.2.8 update (6R57), i.e. audio, LDAP, Safari, fw, usb, graphics, Finder and a couple I can't recall.

trog

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2003
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
Anything that gets me out of 10.2.6 will be welcomed. Actually on my ibook, I went back to OS 9 because I was sick of all the trouble with .6.
You went from 10.2.6 all the way back to OS9???
Good lord, if you have car trouble what do you do, rent a horse?

m_gerbik

macrumors member
May 27, 2003
The Big Scrapple
Anything that gets me out of 10.2.6 will be welcomed. Actually on my ibook, I went back to OS 9 because I was sick of all the trouble with .6.
Just curious. What problems are there with 10.2.6? I've been using it since it's release with no problems on a DP450 and two new iBooks. Maybe there are problem that I don't know are specific to 10.2.6?

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by trog

First of all, it is 9.2.1 ;) I figured that when i get panther i was going to nuke the whole thing anyway. besides, i like running os 9 for nastalgia sake.

concerning the other other post, 10.2.6 is very sluggish. startup time is slower, i get the beachball opening folders, programs react slower, menus slide down slower. these are all issues that don't occur in .1-.5.

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
What problems are there with 10.2.6? I've found it to be a great improvement over the previous Jaguar updates. Hopefully though, I'll only have to have 10.2.8 for a week before Panther is released! :D:D:D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
First of all, it is 9.2.1 ;) I figured that when i get panther i was going to nuke the whole thing anyway. besides, i like running os 9 for nastalgia sake.

concerning the other other post, 10.2.6 is very sluggish. startup time is slower, i get the beachball opening folders, programs react slower, menus slide down slower. these are all issues that don't occur in .1-.5.

That sounds more like a lack of RAM where the updated video card drivers are a bit bigger and forcing more work from virtual memory and your hard drive.

Do you have less than 512MB?

I hope that Apple fixes the FTP problem they introduced with the FTP security update.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by bousozoku
That sounds more like a lack of RAM where the updated video card drivers are a bit bigger and forcing more work from virtual memory and your hard drive.

Do you have less than 512MB?

I hope that Apple fixes the FTP problem they introduced with the FTP security update.

i have 384 but like i already said, these issues only happen with .6

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I'm running OS 9.2.2 and the only time I ran OS X on my PowerBook was way back in 10.0, so when I get my new PowerBook running Panther, it will be one hell of a jump forward. It will suck with the bootup times, though. I spent a lot of time tweaking to get to my 10-15 second "from power button to clickable Finder" start times. The main reason I never bothered to switch to X, though is purely from the "snappiness" standpoint. OS 9 is instantaniously snappy. OS X felt like driving a Kia Rio after spending all week in a twin turbo Porsche 911. From what I hear about Panther, the speed will hopefully be closer to the OS 9 side, which will make me one happy camper.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I'm running OS 9.2.2 and the only time I ran OS X on my PowerBook was way back in 10.0, so when I get my new PowerBook running Panther, it will be one hell of a jump forward. It will suck with the bootup times, though. I spent a lot of time tweaking to get to my 10-15 second "from power button to clickable Finder" start times. The main reason I never bothered to switch to X, though is purely from the "snappiness" standpoint. OS 9 is instantaniously snappy. OS X felt like driving a Kia Rio after spending all week in a twin turbo Porsche 911. From what I hear about Panther, the speed will hopefully be closer to the OS 9 side, which will make me one happy camper.

exactly.

airmac

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2003
Originally posted by trog

I totally agree with Powerbook G5!!!

And what a dumb comparison trog..you really think the horse is useless?!...:rolleyes:

myrdred23

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I'm running OS 9.2.2 and the only time I ran OS X on my PowerBook was way back in 10.0, so when I get my new PowerBook running Panther, it will be one hell of a jump forward. It will suck with the bootup times, though.

Actually, OS X bootup times are much faster than of Classic Mac OS. The only time you might get a slow (and this one would be a very slow) bootup, is right after a kernel panick (which happens very rarely in the first place).

-Myrd

jim_reed

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2003
Saudi Arabia
Sluggish OS X (10.2.6)

WonderBoy, it sounds like you have a Disk Permissions proble, or Directory Structure issue. I've had this come up several times, especially after an inadvertant power loss. Usually, running Disk Utility sorts it all out.

10.2.6 on my PB G4/500/1GB gets along well. It also goes just fine on my 500MHz Classic iMac with 768MB, compared to OS 9.2.2.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Thanks, but...

I appriciate the advice and suggetions, but the fact is, I have run disk utility, nuked the hard drive, and the same problems happen only with 10.2.6. maybe im crazy and look for problems with .6,im not sure. all i know is that panther will be a solid step up from any previous OS's.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Re: Sluggish OS X (10.2.6)

Which iBook do you have? I have an iBook 700Mhz with 384mb of ram. And Mac OS 10.2.6 runs faster then the other versions. In fact boot up time is faster in OS X then OS 9 (I have both OSes on the machine since I still use some OS 9 only apps on the iBook).

When you went from 10.2 did you use the control panel update or did you download the combo updaters? From what I have ready or MacFixIt the stand-alone updaters are better then using the Update Control Panel.

Just my 2 cents....

-Hugh

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
i have a 600mgz 385ram. also, i update through the control panel. actually now that i think about it, i upgraded only to 10.2.5.. when i wanted to use updates only for .6, then i upgrade to .6 through SU, but as a stand alone. could this be my problem?

ABassCube

macrumors newbie
Re: Problems with 10.2.6

I've also had issues with 10.2.6, thought not as serious as Wonder Boy seems to have it. There are definitely issues with it. Ever since I upgraded to 10.2.6 the default window size/position of my main hard drive window keeps reverting to this stupid position under the Dock. No matter how many times I try to reset it by putting the window in the position I want and immediately closing the window, it always reverts back. If I log out and log back in, I can set the window size/position normally again. This has happened on at least one other computer as well with 10.2.6, and did not happen with 10.2.5. Also there is the annoying Palm syncing bug. With my Tungsten, in order to get it to sync with the cradle you have to start with the cradle unplugged from USB, start the sync, and then plug it back in a second or two after the sync starts. This is a known bug that many people have and it works fine with 10.2.5, and I'm told it's fixed on the developer previews of Panther.

10.2.6 definitely has issues, but I've never seen or heard about extreme sluggishness or hanging. Maybe try reinitializing Wonder Boy? Actually, at this point, you're probably better off just waiting till Panther comes out and either reinitializing or doing an Archive & Install then.

Adam

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
i have a 600mgz 385ram. also, i update through the control panel. actually now that i think about it, i upgraded only to 10.2.5.. when i wanted to use updates only for .6, then i upgrade to .6 through SU, but as a stand alone. could this be my problem?

It is very possible that is what your problem was. You used the Update control panel to bring your 10.2 up to 10.2.5.

Like I said, there where reports on MacFixIt that people where having problems after using the Update Control Panel, but after doing a fresh start and using the Combo updaters they didn't have the problems any more.

But this point, you might want to wait until Panther is released.. Unless you have nothing to lose execpt for time then you could reformat your drive and reinstall Mac OS 10.2 then use the Combo updaters.

-Locutus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.