Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Nov 3, 2007, 07:25 AM   #1
sonyc148
macrumors newbie

How to integrate Objective C 2.0 help in XCode 3.0?

Hello,

I installed XCode 3.0 yesterday, from my Leopard up-to-date dvd, and I saw that there is no objective C help directly accessible through XCode. There is documentation for API, but not for the Objective C language specifications.

For example, if I want to get help on the @property keyword, I can't do it directly in XCode, but I must do it in Safari/Firefox, and go look to the apple website or other resources on the Web.

Does anyone know how to integrate this kind of help file in XCode? Something like the http://developer.apple.com/documenta...tiveC/ObjC.pdf pdf available on apple website maybe, but directly in XCode help window, and searchable?
sonyc148 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Help==>Documentation, has the API references for things like NSString etc. etc. You can do different searchs using the search bar. So for an API reference such as NSString you use the "API" option on the right hand side, but if you want to find some text in a specific file you can change it to full-text.
Eraserhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2007, 07:28 PM   #3
sonyc148
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply Eraserhead.

Unfortunately, this is not exactly what I'm looking for. Getting help about API references is not the problem, as I'm already using it extensively.
The problem is that the API help files can't provide any help when it comes to languages keywords.

For example, try getting help about the @property keyword, which is a new keyword in Objective-C 2.0. It seems there are no help topics related to the @property keyword, so how am I to know what are the possible attributes possible in a property declaration?

The only way to get this kind of information that I know of, is by investigating the developer.apple.com website (for example, the answer for property attributes can be found at http://developer.apple.com/documenta...02974-CH4-SW31).
Old Nov 3, 2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Nutter
macrumors 6502

Do an exact, full text search for "Objective-c 2.0" in Xcode's documentation browser. There's no way to jump to help topics directly from keywords, I'm afraid.
Nutter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 01:36 AM   #5
sonyc148
macrumors newbie

Well, thanks for your reply

Maybe Apple will decide to integrate this kind of help at a later point.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 04:30 AM   #6
Nutter
macrumors 6502

Since all of Apple's Objective-C documentation is in a single document, I don't see why this is a big deal.
Nutter is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming