Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeZMacGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Mansfield, CT
What could be next for the MacBook Pro, could it end up being more of the Pro Desktop, or come macworld will it have a little upgrade, heres what i think is maybe a more likely and what i like to see....

More likely

2.8-3.0GHz Core 2 Extreme
Geforce 8600M GT 256MB-512MB
2GB DD2 (or DD3) Memory (Option of 4GB)
200GB 7200-RPM (option of 250GB 5400-RPM or 300RPM 4200-RPM)

What i like to see

Quad Core
Geforce 8800M GT 512MB-768MB (option of 8800 GTX)
4GB DD2 memory (option of 8GB)
500GB 7200-RPM 2x250GB 7200-RPM (option internal Disc Drive/or 2nd Hard Drive)
Black Screen outlining like the imac
OLED Screen
HD Option in 15-inch
eSata Plug

What do you think????

PowerBook G4 1.25GHz 768MB (Ready to upgrade)

Attachments

• Macbookpro 2008.jpg
    Macbookpro 2008.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 3,802

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
What could be next for the MacBook Pro, could it end up being more of the Pro Desktop, or come macworld will it have a little upgrade, heres what i think is maybe a more likely and what i like to see....

More likely

What i like to see

Quad Core
OLED Screen
HD Option in 15-inch
eSata Plug

What do you think????

OLED isn't ready for large screen sizes yet, and lifetime is still too short. Quad core will happen eventually, but it will be awhile. Dual disk option won't happen.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
that would great and would make me really pissed that I just got one this summer. :p

why?!? theres always an upgrade coming, dont get all pissed that 6 months after you bought one they put something better on it, how about apple never make any updates to it would that make you happy?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The first option is what I think will happen, so yeah... I agree. The processor will top out at 2.8GHz, the RAM at 4GB. The HDD will most likely be the same 160GB 7200 rpm but maybe across the line instead of just in the higher end models. The 200GB 7200 will be BTO and they will probably add the 320GB 5400 as BTO. I don't think it will get the black outlined monitor like the iMacs, it would be tacky IMHO, but I would like to see a black MBP as an option for the same price as the MB.

It would be nice to have a removeable optical drive bay instead of something that was more definite. That way I could prepare for my job by removing the optical bay and putting in a second HDD, and just use an external burner or use the optical bay as an external burner, that's just dreaming though. I don't think it would go that far though.

The only case redesign I would love to see in the MBP would be the latching system... just use the overly successful one from the MacBook, and possible the keyboard. There is nothing wrong with the one now... nothing at all, but Apple has put the MB keyboard into a desktop version and it's in the MacBook, so I have a good feeling it will be in the Mac Pros once they get updated (hopefully they will keep the old ones as Pro versions) and if they do they should put it in the MBP to keep things consistent at the very least.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I love your mockup, but I also don't have a problem with the present design.

Wombert

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
What I'd like to see is a display hinge that's not designed for midgets. My G4 Powerbook tilts back to around 135 degrees, which is just enough for me to be able to use it on the lap (I'm 1.93 / 6ft4in). The first MBPs only opened to around 120 degrees, and the LED backlit ones just about 110. That is unacceptable for a laptop in that price range. Huge design flaw. I cannot believe that this would be impossible to fix.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
What I'd like to see is a display hinge that's not designed for midgets. My G4 Powerbook tilts back to around 135 degrees, which is just enough for me to be able to use it on the lap (I'm 1.93 / 6ft4in). The first MBPs only opened to around 120 degrees, and the LED backlit ones just about 110. That is unacceptable for a laptop in that price range. Huge design flaw. I cannot believe that this would be impossible to fix.

that is my one biggest complaint for my MPB

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

that is my one biggest complaint for my MPB

I can understand, but I hope you guys aren't looking for the BIG design flaw that PCs have were the hinge bends back 180 degrees? Those machines are fat and ugly because they put it hinge on the top of the machine, instead of the back. I don't have any issues with the current design myself, although I am neither a midget or a freakishly huge giant, and I have never found a situation where I can't use my 15" MBP on my lap or anywhere for that matter.

Wombert

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
I can understand, but I hope you guys aren't looking for the BIG design flaw that PCs have were the hinge bends back 180 degrees? Those machines are fat and ugly because they put it hinge on the top of the machine, instead of the back. I don't have any issues with the current design myself, although I am neither a midget or a freakishly huge giant, and I have never found a situation where I can't use my 15" MBP on my lap or anywhere for that matter.

Of course not. My Powerbook proves that it can be done. I have no clue why they messed that up for the MBPs. I could barely use it even when it's sitting on a desk! I have no clue what I'd do if Apple released new MBPs with that same issue. I'm currently waiting for new models that go back to the old 135ish degrees...

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
it looks unmacish

yes that is a word

my GF has an HP that looks just like that, silver keyboard black LCD outline

I don't think so. I can totally see Apple releasing something like that. It looks pretty classy - but as I said, I prefer the current design.

Josheua

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
United States
Everyone has talked about hardware boost and such. Does anyone see upgrades to the screens? I for one would like to see the 15.4 inch set standard (or at least given the option) for a 1680x1050 screen. Sure the current resolution isn't bad, but I still think a WSXGA+ screen would really make Leopard's effects pop.

Also crossing fingers for a black anodized aluminum shell, 3rd USB port, and multi-touch features in the trackpad, but to be honest, all we can do is wait and see what Steve has up his sleeves come January 2008.

MacOSXuser

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto

More likely

What i like to see

Quad Core
OLED Screen
HD Option in 15-inch
eSata Plug

What do you think????

when will they put 256mb GPU for the low end model? is it going to be in Jan?:confused:

MacOSXuser

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto
if they are going to update 256mb GPU for their low end MBP, then I am definitely going to wait for it. If not, I'll just buy it now:confused:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Everyone has talked about hardware boost and such. Does anyone see upgrades to the screens? I for one would like to see the 15.4 inch set standard (or at least given the option) for a 1680x1050 screen. Sure the current resolution isn't bad, but I still think a WSXGA+ screen would really make Leopard's effects pop.

Also crossing fingers for a black anodized aluminum shell, 3rd USB port, and multi-touch features in the trackpad, but to be honest, all we can do is wait and see what Steve has up his sleeves come January 2008.

USB... YUCK!!!!

Give me eSata or a second Firewire 400 or 800 port. Give the USB 2.0 to the MacBook users that need it.

Josheua

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
United States
I am not the only person that has complained about the macbook pro not having enough USB ports. And who is to say they can't add another firewire port and another USB port.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
Hmm, that screams "HP" to me, IMO. I've seen a ton of those around campus lately. Maybe the upcoming revised MB everyone's been talking about.

Even four year on, I'm still in love with the aluminum PB/MBP case design. It doesn't look outdated, though I'd like to see the MB magnetic latch, as well as it's "integrated feet" design instead of the current MBP's attached ones that can fall apart. I'd like to see them adding 1 more USB port too.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
I am not the only person that has complained about the macbook pro not having enough USB ports. And who is to say they can't add another firewire port and another USB port.

ok and where would you like them to put them? OH WAIT i know!! we can make it another inch thicker, that would give us plenty of room:rolleyes:

open up your mbp and you will see that there is not a single waste of space, there is simply no where to put any other external connectors they already did away with the phone jack to add an extra USB plug and people are whining and complaining about that, i can hear it now.."they took out the full size DVI port just for ONE MORE USB CONNECTOR...OH THE HUMANITY"

come on people apple knows what they are doing

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Not that you can't say you want one, just that I also have the right to think they are a bit over rated and not needed on a Pro machine as much as eSata or FW. :D

Besides, the 17" has three, and I barely use the two on the 15". If I got a wireless mouse then I would only use the one when I connect my iPod to my MBP which I rarely do. Honestly. The iPod should go back to FW, and PC vendors need to start putting full sized FW ports on their laptops like Apple does. Transferring 80GB to my iPod was grueling.

ok and where would you like them to put them? OH WAIT i know!! we can make it another inch thicker, that would give us plenty of room:rolleyes:

open up your mbp and you will see that there is not a single waste of space, there is simply no where to put any other external connectors they already did away with the phone jack to add an extra USB plug and people are whining and complaining about that, i can hear it now.."they took out the full size DVI port just for ONE MORE USB CONNECTOR...OH THE HUMANITY"

come on people apple knows what they are doing

Actually, they took out the modem and the S-Video port on the switch from the PowerBook to the MBP. They left off the FW800 for God knows what reason in the first edition of the book, then put it back on after some engineering magic that we will never know the half of. I don't think they took away or added and USB ports. To my knowledge, every Apple laptop model with the Aluminum/Polycarbonate case has had two USB ports sans the 17" model and the early iBook models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.