Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Nov 4, 2007, 06:30 AM   #1
Halcyon
macrumors 6502

Folder and File in Trash can't be deleted

After doing some spring cleaning I ended with a file within a folder in the trash that can't be deleted. I've tried about everything I can think to get rid of it. Restarted computer, used some file utilities to "investigate" what this file was all about, etc. I can't change the file's name, move it out of the folder or do anything with it.

The folder's name is "Legal" and the file within is "Tiếng Việt.html".

Any suggestions on getting rid of this corrupted file?

TIA

PD - I doesn't affect the proper functioning of the machine or any software, it's just bothersome to have them there and not being able to get rid of them.
8GB iPod Touch
Halcyon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:58 AM   #2
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

You can try deleting it from Terminal (command line). Just go to the trash can: cd ~/.Trash then delete the files rm *.* Then you may need to hit y to confirm.
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Halcyon
macrumors 6502

Problem solved

Thanks Angelwatt, but already tried that and it did not work.

Found an older thread on the same precise subject and solved the problem. It seems that this file is a pesky one because it was the same exact file (same name at least) that many other users had problems getting rid of it.

It seems this file belongs to Adobe's CS2 suit and if you don't properly unisntall it when upgrading, or for whatever reason, this pesky file is not deleted. Funny thing is I upgraded to CS3 weeks ago and have not deleted my CS2 Photoshop and Illustrator yet...go figure!

Proceedure:
1.- Restart in Safe Mode (press shift while restarting).
2.- While booted in Safe Mode drag folder and file to trash and delete.
3.- Restart like you normally do.

That's all folks :-)
8GB iPod Touch
Halcyon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:51 PM   #4
celine
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
After doing some spring cleaning I ended with a file within a folder in the trash that can't be deleted. I've tried about everything I can think to get rid of it. Restarted computer, used some file utilities to "investigate" what this file was all about, etc. I can't change the file's name, move it out of the folder or do anything with it.

The folder's name is "Legal" and the file within is "Tiếng Việt.html".

Any suggestions on getting rid of this corrupted file?

TIA

PD - I doesn't affect the proper functioning of the machine or any software, it's just bothersome to have them there and not being able to get rid of them.
I have the exact same problem, with the exact same file-name! i hope your method will work.
celine is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X