Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Hey. I reinstalled Jaguar today (mostly for fun). I'm a bit of a security geek, so I have always had my routers set for 128-bit encryption, not to broadcast the SSID, etc. etc.

Well, one of the things I always disable is the DHCP server. I have always configured my IP addresses manually. However, since the reinstall, I have to leave DHCP on, or I can't connect to the DNS. I get the shtick about being unable to find server "macrumors.com" or whatever.

I'm perplexed on this issue. I really prefer to have manual IP addresses, but it seems I currently have no choice. :confused:

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
perhaps jaguar is set up to expect the DHCP server to supply DNS values, too?

have you tried manually setting your IP and filling in the DNS values?

MCPeck

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2003
Linksys routers DO transmit DNS entries with the DHCP, as do most DHCP servers. You will have manually enter the DNS server IPs if you don't wan't to use the DHCP server in the router.

If you check the STATUS tab on the router configuration page, it will tell you the DNS IPs for your ISP under the WAN thing...

No worries, it's hell easy. =)

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Re: DHCP settings on Linksys router

Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
Hey. I reinstalled Jaguar today (mostly for fun). I'm a bit of a security geek, so I have always had my routers set for 128-bit encryption, not to broadcast the SSID, etc. etc.

Well, one of the things I always disable is the DHCP server. I have always configured my IP addresses manually. However, since the reinstall, I have to leave DHCP on, or I can't connect to the DNS. I get the shtick about being unable to find server "macrumors.com" or whatever.

I'm perplexed on this issue. I really prefer to have manual IP addresses, but it seems I currently have no choice. :confused:
I've had this problem on PCs, and I would assume you're having the same problem on your Mac.

You're entering a static IP on your Mac, right? You also want to enter the Linksys router's IP (192.168.1.1 by default) as the main DNS server in your Mac's TCP/IP settings. Try that and see how it works. The same thing happened to me, and this fixed it.

I'm trying to get to the Linksys support page to give you the link on this topic, however that part of the site seems to be down right now.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Re: Re: DHCP settings on Linksys router

Originally posted by MattG
You also want to enter the Linksys router's IP (192.168.1.1 by default) as the main DNS server in your Mac's TCP/IP settings.

the router IP in the DNS box? mine's in the 'Router' field.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Re: Re: Re: DHCP settings on Linksys router

Originally posted by zimv20
the router IP in the DNS box? mine's in the 'Router' field.
Yes, you want it in both. At least you do if you're having this problem.

I'd show you the article but Linksys' knowledge base is down right now. You want the router's address in both the "Router" field and the field for the DNS server. I don't know why, but it just works.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Re: Re: Re: Re: DHCP settings on Linksys router

Originally posted by MattG
Yes, you want it in both. At least you do if you're having this problem.

kooky. daveman -- did it work?

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I didn't put the router in the DNS server box. I went into the connection information on the router control panel and looked up the DNS servers there. Then I tossed them into the System Preferences DNS box. It works well. Now the secure half of my mind can let my crazy go nuts half...

Well, my crazy go nuts half can do something crazy go nuts, I suppose. :p

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe
I didn't put the router in the DNS server box. I went into the connection information on the router control panel and looked up the DNS servers there. Then I tossed them into the System Preferences DNS box. It works well. Now the secure half of my mind can let my crazy go nuts half...

Well, my crazy go nuts half can do something crazy go nuts, I suppose. :p
Cool. Either way it would have worked. Linksys probably tells you to put the router's address in there because it probably forwards those requests to your ISP's DNS servers anyway, and this way in case the IP's of those servers were to change (unlikely), you wouldn't have to mess with these settings again.

Anyway, glad it's working!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.