Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Nov 4, 2007, 09:55 PM   #1
Colin Hoernig
macrumors newbie

Read/Write access and permissions

Hey there, first post here where I ask for help, but here goes!
I recently upgraded to Leopard, and I love it. I have one problem though, and that is, my read/write access is wrong. I am the only user of this computer (Macbook Pro) and I have the Administrator account. I first noticed when I was trying to save a photoshop file I was editing, and it told me I didn't have read/write access. Then I noticed when I tried to open FCP and it told me the scratch disks didn't have read/write access. It wasn't like this when I first installed Leopard, so I assume its my fault and I screwed something up, but I went through preferences and tried to change permissions but I haven't fixed it. Is there a way I can just reset all read/write permissions since I actually am the only user and Administrator of this computer?

Thanks,
Colin Hoernig
Old Nov 4, 2007, 09:58 PM   #2
EricNau

Have you tried repairing permissions?

Go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility, and click "repair permissions."

(I'm not on my Leopard computer at the moment, so I hope those directions are still correct.)
EricNau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:01 PM   #3
Colin Hoernig
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNau View Post
Have you tried repairing permissions?

Go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility, and click "repair permissions."

(I'm not on my Leopard computer at the moment, so I hope those directions are still correct.)
I should have mentioned that, yes I have tried that.

When I open FCP, it tells me "One or more of the scratch disks you have specified does not have read/write access." and it's telling me that "/Users/colinhoernig/Documents/Final Cut Pro Documents" doesn't have permission, which is my home folder, weird.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:18 PM   #4
roblogic
macrumors newbie

Leopard uses different group permissions for normal users than previous versions, and the installer doesn't change them properly - basically you need to recursively change the group permissions on your home directory to 'staff'.

sudo chown -R [username]:staff ~

See this thread on the apple support forum for details.
roblogic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 02:58 PM   #5
Colin Hoernig
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblogic View Post
Leopard uses different group permissions for normal users than previous versions, and the installer doesn't change them properly - basically you need to recursively change the group permissions on your home directory to 'staff'.

sudo chown -R [username]:staff ~

See this thread on the apple support forum for details.
I tried that just now, logged out, logged back in, opened up FCP and got the same error.

If you could, please write the exact steps I have to do. This is really a pain in the butt.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 03:05 PM   #6
yellow

It should be noted that "Permissions Repair" doesn't decend into one's User directory, so it would have no baring on this issue.

What you have encountered is one of the reasons that I gave up on Leopard and went back to Tiger on all my Macs.

It should also be noted that I chown'd and chmod'd all my directories and STILL was told that I didn't have the permissions to write to them. IMO, the ACLs that Leopard uses are totally ****ed up in conjunction with POSIX permissions.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 07:45 PM   #7
Colin Hoernig
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow View Post
It should be noted that "Permissions Repair" doesn't decend into one's User directory, so it would have no baring on this issue.

What you have encountered is one of the reasons that I gave up on Leopard and went back to Tiger on all my Macs.

It should also be noted that I chown'd and chmod'd all my directories and STILL was told that I didn't have the permissions to write to them. IMO, the ACLs that Leopard uses are totally ****ed up in conjunction with POSIX permissions.
So there's no LEGIT fix for this?

I paid good money for this OS and I'm still a teen, money doesn't grow on trees for me! Haha, hopefully an update will fix this?
Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:10 AM   #8
env1sion
macrumors newbie

so a friend of mine upgraded to leopard. their original username got erased from the login list and a new one was automatically created called "test" with admin priveleges. her user folder still exists on the harddrive however only her user name had access to theese files and folders. is there any way i can log in under her user name?
env1sion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 05:07 PM   #9
LaDirection
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow View Post

Leopard has nothing to do with this. I'm currently having the exact same issue with Tiger. My FW800 drive can no longer be read by FCP for some reason.

I just solved it: deleted everything in user/preferences/final cut pro user data.

Last edited by LaDirection; May 2, 2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: added info
LaDirection is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X