Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Nov 5, 2007, 02:40 AM   #1
skasol
macrumors 6502

Please help very loud Fan noise

I have tried the different solutions here in the forum and nothing seems to help, I tried resetting the smc, I checked the optical drive cables, I also tried different memory, my fans are extremely loud and I don't know what to do, they are very loud, not a little noise but very loud. please help, they don't seem to idel down, specially the rear one, it just sounds like a hovering or a turbine, I am not exagerating, it's extremely loud, at just idle, I am not doing anything with it at all.

any help would be appreciate it, it's a 2.66 mac pro with 1gb of ram and a 500gb hd.
skasol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:54 AM   #2
mikee1979
macrumors newbie

Do you have the ati x1900 card? I thought mine was loud but realised it was only loud on graphic intensive stuff mainly games and realised it must be the card, so I replaced it with an artic cooler (only£11) and now it's quiet. also try zapping PRAM (forget the keys something like alt+command+P+R at the starup) that helped make my DVD drive quieten down maybe it could help your fans.
mikee1979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:18 PM   #3
skasol
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee1979 View Post
Do you have the ati x1900 card? I thought mine was loud but realised it was only loud on graphic intensive stuff mainly games and realised it must be the card, so I replaced it with an artic cooler (only£11) and now it's quiet. also try zapping PRAM (forget the keys something like alt+command+P+R at the starup) that helped make my DVD drive quieten down maybe it could help your fans.
I actually took it to the apple store for repair, they said something about my motherboard. thanks for the help
skasol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Luis Ortega
macrumors 6502a

I had some Mac Pros at work which had fans that went into very loud overdrive and then started to have kernel panics. The IT people had to replace the ram which was faulty and in one case they also had to reinstall the system. In our case it wasn't the motherboard.
Luis Ortega is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro