Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Fedex just delivered my beautiful MBP. Unfortunately Leopard wasn't preinstalled, but it did come with the disc.

My question: Do I "Upgrade" or "Erase & Install"?

Haven't set up accounts or anything; booted from Leopard DVD as soon as I saw the Tiger welcome video. Don't want to lose iLife apps that come installed (no disc for those, I don't think).

On hold w/ AppleCare - can y'all help me first?!

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
I suggest an upgrade. If you do an erase and install you're going to lose all the iLife apps and any other freebies that got bundled on the Mac. Then you'll have to dig out those discs from the packaging and install the apps all over again.

Best bet is to just do an upgrade.

Cuckoo

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
The Netherlands - Utrecht
I reccoment an erase and install, chose the stuff you wish and forget the rest. A mac comes with a ******** of printer files, language files and software.

you can save serious amounts of drivespace... just pick what you need, if you mis something, you can always install that part at a later point

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Survey says...

Ok, just talked to Apple, they said Erase & Install, then use Tiger discs to install iLife. A bit of a pain, but hell, I've waited this long, another couple hours won't kill me.:rolleyes:

freewill

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
Ok, just talked to Apple, they said Erase & Install, then use Tiger discs to install iLife. A bit of a pain, but hell, I've waited this long, another couple hours won't kill me.:rolleyes:

That's exactly what I did and process went without any problems. Leopard install took 45 minutes or so (most of which was the DVD installation disk performing a self-check before actually installing Leopard). Installing iLife apps took another 10-15 minutes or so. Really couldn't have been easier from my point of view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.