Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windwaves

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 21, 2002
manhattan
I saw this at MacBidouille:
http://macbidouille.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2003-09-14#6623

Quite incredible, but honestly I am not sure what it really means. They mention that a script in FCP computes some performance cost as a fucntion of bus speed and processor speed. Not clear to me what that represents. It refers to a folder named "FCP RT Software DV Enabler". May be someone here would have a clue ?

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
It's charts like this (and there seems to be more of them popping up) that make you question the purchase of a 1.6 or 1.8 G5.

Compare the 1.25 dual G4 and the 1.8 G5. Their perormance is about the same. The 1.25 is less expensive and the G4 is stable and proven. The G5 is new and will most likely have bugs or flaws in it. But it does offer the latest technology (USB 2, Firewire 800, PCIx , 8x AGP, more RAM).

The choice for me is a no brainer - G5. :D
But the carts will make you think twice.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Originally posted by Fender2112
It's charts like this (and there seems to be more of them popping up) that make you question the purchase of a 1.6 or 1.8 G5.

Compare the 1.25 dual G4 and the 1.8 G5. Their perormance is about the same. The 1.25 is less expensive and the G4 is stable and proven. The G5 is new and will most likely have bugs or flaws in it. But it does offer the latest technology (USB 2, Firewire 800, PCIx , 8x AGP, more RAM).

The choice for me is a no brainer - G5. :D
But the carts will make you think twice.
Well I can't make much of those charts and what's written below them since it's all in French, but I have trouble believing anything I see in these charts after seeing the tests Mac Addict did on the new boxes vs. the G4 boxes. They all seem to perform pretty averagely until you dump a bunch of RAM into them.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Originally posted by MattG
Well I can't make much of those charts and what's written below them since it's all in French, but I have trouble believing anything I see in these charts after seeing the tests Mac Addict did on the new boxes vs. the G4 boxes. They all seem to perform pretty averagely until you dump a bunch of RAM into them.

The wonders of the google bar "translate to english" function...

now onto building my tower of babel...

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
but...the 1.4 g4 is dual and the 1.6 and 1.8 g5 is not...

does that mean nothing??

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
the g5 just needs some time to stretch its legs

for any pc folks around here.. you should remember when the P4 first came out.. it was running at like 1.4ghz i think or something like that.. at that time the p3 was running at like 1ghz .
and clock for clock the p3 was faster then the p4. but the p3 couldnt scale mhz wize and it was left at its meager mhz rating while the p4 got faster and faster

the same is true with the g5.
if you take a 1.4ghz g4 (single) and a 1.4ghz g5 (single) i bet the g4 will be faster. the g5 has longer pipelines enableing higher clock rates.

so sure now the benchmarks may not be that far off.. but in a year. when the dual 3ghz+ chips are out. well no one will want a g4 anymore.. maybe just in emacs.. or something

give it some time.. and dont be so quick to bash something new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.