Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I'm trying to figure out what SMSdaemon is and how to remove it. Is it a vital system process or something malicious? It can hog up a ton of ram and when I kill it, it comes back. Help? Thanks!

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
It's a Unix process that allows the sending of SMS messages (to cell phones). I have no idea why it'd be taking up a bunch of resources, or be running at all, do you have an SMS widget or something installed? Might try removing that if you can, assuming that you do.

jW

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I don't have any SMSwidgets running at all. They have all been deleted. The SMSdaemon slowly takes up memory and every time I kill the process, it comes back.

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Got it, found the source of the process by using "inspect" on Activity Monitor... apparently it was an application support script that went awol. Killed and quickly deleted the script before it could start up again... vola!

soundsgoodtome

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Los Angeles
Got it, found the source of the process by using "inspect" on Activity Monitor... apparently it was an application support script that went awol. Killed and quickly deleted the script before it could start up again... vola!

Wow -- this is exactly the problem I'm having. You mentioned what you did, but didn't mention how you did it!

How does one "kill and quickly delete the script"?

soundsgoodtome

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Los Angeles
Help...

Well, I identified a couple of items in Application Support that were supposedly the problem -- so I deleted them and logged out/back in. But now, Console reports that something is repeatedly attempting to launch the items I deleted, so obviously there's more I need to do.

The following messages are regenerated in Console, non-stop, every few seconds:

Wed 10.01.08 10.01.08 10:07:57pm com.apple.launchd[1] (com.app4mac.CheckUpAgent[708]) posix_spawn("/Applications/CheckUp.app/Contents/MacOS/CheckUpAgent", ...): No such file or directory
Wed 10.01.08 10.01.08 10:07:57pm com.apple.launchd[1] (com.app4mac.CheckUpAgent[708]) Exited with exit code: 1
Wed 10.01.08 10.01.08 10:07:57pm com.apple.launchd[1] (com.app4mac.CheckUpAgent) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

Wed 10.01.08 10.01.08 10:08:04pm com.apple.launchd[109] (com.micromat.SMSDaemon[709]) posix_spawnp("/Users/merv/Library/Application Support/Syphone/SMSDaemon", ...): No such file or directory
Wed 10.01.08 10.01.08 10:08:04pm com.apple.launchd[109] (com.micromat.SMSDaemon[709]) Exited with exit code: 1
Wed 10.01.08 10.01.08 10:08:04pm com.apple.launchd[109] (com.micromat.SMSDaemon) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

How do I stop this?

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hi,
I dint know much about OSX but when I read "SMS" it made me think about the "Sudden Motion Sensor" present on Apple's notebooks. Isn't this related to it ?

Tex

puhsitch

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
Syphone

Just to keep this year-old thread going...

FYI, Syphone uses a daemon called SMSDaemon. Do you use that to back up text messages from an iPhone? If you prevent the process from ever running, your texts won't automatically get transferred to your Syphone database anymore.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I also was wondering what SMSDaemon was because it was leaving an entry in my console every minute that looked like this:

Code:
SMSDaemon[179] Located known iPhone 'Touch', serial no. 'XXXXXXXXXX'.

It was indeed related to Syphone which I had tried a while ago, but was no longer using. To remove it I deleted the following plist file and Application Support folder (probably just removing the plist file would have been enough to stop it):

Code:
~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.micromat.SMSDaemon.plist
~/Library/Application Support/Syphone

efengle

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2007
Deleting an App

As much as it hurts to say this. OSX is very similar to Windows when deleting software. When you drag XXX.app to Trash Can, you are not removing everything that was installed initially. Mainly, you are removing the .App folder and all that is contained inside. Most of the time, you are leaving App preferences and daemons in their respective locations. This is similar to Windows in the sense that when you uninstall programs entires are left in the Registry (I hate that word) and also in C:\Program Files, etc

Might I suggest AppCleaner when removing/uninstalling Apps. It will remove all .plist and daemon files as well. Not to mention a very nice interface.

oceandamion

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
Similar problem

I have had a similar problem. I have tried deleting application support and also launch agents but this does not seem to have helped.

18/01/09 3:26:15 PM com.apple.launchd[64] (cn.com.zte.usbswapper.plist[3037]) posix_spawn("/Applications/Vodafone Mobile Connect/Vodafone Mobile Connect.app/Contents/Resources/Specific/Mac_SwapperDemon.app/Contents/MacOS/Mac_SwapperDemon", ...): No such file or directory
18/01/09 3:26:15 PM com.apple.launchd[64] (cn.com.zte.usbswapper.plist[3037]) Exited with exit code: 1
18/01/09 3:26:15 PM com.apple.launchd[64] (cn.com.zte.usbswapper.plist) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    277.8 KB · Views: 405

robfol

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
London UK
SMSDaemon & App Cleaner

Thanks all for above thread, helped me ID and get rid of this mad daemon.

Just note that APP CLEANER while very nice, does not remove the Launch Agent as in ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.micromat.SMSDaemon.plist

Thanks to NILK for pointing out that this has to go to!

dmbream

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2002
I have had a similar problem. I have tried deleting application support and also launch agents but this does not seem to have helped.

18/01/09 3:26:15 PM com.apple.launchd[64] (cn.com.zte.usbswapper.plist[3037]) posix_spawn("/Applications/Vodafone Mobile Connect/Vodafone Mobile Connect.app/Contents/Resources/Specific/Mac_SwapperDemon.app/Contents/MacOS/Mac_SwapperDemon", ...): No such file or directory
18/01/09 3:26:15 PM com.apple.launchd[64] (cn.com.zte.usbswapper.plist[3037]) Exited with exit code: 1
18/01/09 3:26:15 PM com.apple.launchd[64] (cn.com.zte.usbswapper.plist) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

oceandamion: requires a restart after deleting the daemon

wwwluckyro

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
Romania
@dmbream

It appears I am in the same situation as oceandamion. I didn't manage to find the file in the LaunchDaemons or Agents (both system and user).

What I did was to open Terminal and type
Code:
launchctl list | grep [Ss]wapper
It found
Code:
-	1	cn.com.zte.usbswapper.plist
Then I typed
Code:
launchctl remove cn.com.zte.usbswapper.plist

After the error didn't appear in the Console anymore, I thought it was gone. So I restarted and it's back. What should I do to remove this process?

That error is plain annoying (dam you Vodafone and your crappy app). I don't know much (nothing) about Terminal and what I typed is information I gathered from Google searches.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Well the checkup agent "CheckUpAgent" is part of the CheckUp program.
http://www.app4mac.com/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=7
It's only there because the USER installed it. :) If you hate it's 10sec. checks
that max the CPU and flood the logs then just uninstall it. ;)

I installed it about 4 weeks ago and it's just now beginning to slap me in the
face with just how daftly it's written. :( If it weren't such an intrusive annoyance
I wouldn't need to say it quite that way but it is. The Application is pretty
interesting otherwise however. :p

PS: Theses guys seem to think you have to go further in order to uninstall it
but I tested this by running the Uninstaller and I think they're whacky. :)
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1482106&tstart=18
It uninstalled and reinstalled just fine for me.

cdiller

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2009
FYI-

AppZapper seemed to delete the .app folder and all relevant support files. I am no longer getting "SMSDaemon[179] Located known iPhone 'Touch', serial no. 'XXXXXXXXXX'. " in my log...

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I understand that this is a very old thread, but I have a quick question.

I recently used an app deleting program to get rid of something and it took SMSDaemon with it. Is that a component that comes with OS X? If so I would like to put it back where it came from. What folder does it go in?

I wish I were running Snow Leopard so I could have the put back command...

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I understand that this is a very old thread, but I have a quick question.

I recently used an app deleting program to get rid of something and it took SMSDaemon with it. Is that a component that comes with OS X? If so I would like to put it back where it came from. What folder does it go in?

I wish I were running Snow Leopard so I could have the put back command...

No it doesn't come with OS X. I think it's installed as part of TechTools (the disc that comes with AppleCare). If you look above at someone's logs, the sig of SMSDaemon is com.micromat.SMSDaemon. Micromat make Techtools...well, it's my educated guess anyway.

You won't miss it.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
No it doesn't come with OS X. I think it's installed as part of TechTools (the disc that comes with AppleCare). If you look above at someone's logs, the sig of SMSDaemon is com.micromat.SMSDaemon. Micromat make Techtools...well, it's my educated guess anyway.

You won't miss it.

Ah Thank you very much. Deleted :)

dmbream

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2002
I also was wondering what SMSDaemon was because it was leaving an entry in my console every minute that looked like this:

Code:
SMSDaemon[179] Located known iPhone 'Touch', serial no. 'XXXXXXXXXX'.

It was indeed related to Syphone which I had tried a while ago, but was no longer using. To remove it I deleted the following plist file and Application Support folder (probably just removing the plist file would have been enough to stop it):

Code:
~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.micromat.SMSDaemon.plist
~/Library/Application Support/Syphone

Yup.

It was Syphone.

http://www.micromat.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=190

Awsm

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Thx

Hi there,

just wanted to say thx and to state/confirm that this SMSdaemon thing took half a GB of my RAM!!! :mad:

And maybe it was the course for several beachball-restarts, but I have to obeserve this first.

BR,
Awsm

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I really need help getting rid of this SMSDeamon

Its taking up 81% of my CPU and 228mb of memory.

I installed Syphone months ago and can't stop this activity as it just restarts, also can't find 'Syphone' on my machine.

Help!

Piercey

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
I also need help getting rid of this. I've done everything in the thread and it keeps coming back....

Help! And thanks in advance!

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.