Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Nov 6, 2007, 12:50 AM   #1
Habusho
macrumors 6502

Alternatives to Little Snitch?

Hi, I was wondering if there were any other ways to stop outgoing connections from specific programs besides using Little Snitch, which doesn't work with Leopard anyway.
Habusho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 01:03 AM   #2
tersono
macrumors 68000

The little snitch 2 beta IS Leopard compatible.

There's not really anything else like it available for OS X. You can duplicate _some_ of its functionality with an external firewall, but that still doesn't give you the reporting facilities.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 01:14 AM   #3
VoodooDaddy
macrumors 65816

Seemed to work just fine for me in leopard
VoodooDaddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 10:18 AM   #4
newfoundglory
macrumors regular

NetBarrier X4 10.4.3 also works with leopard. I installed it and turned anti-spyware on.... then selected ask with deny on timeout. Will ask you the first time app connects to web, ip addy and port number/service being connected to.

Personally, I prefer NB over little snitch.

I have to ask myself.... why does calculator.app need to connect to Apple???? i just dont understand it.....

Also, if there are any firewall issues with leopard.... i'm not using the leopard firewall!
newfoundglory is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 10:23 AM   #5
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

I installed NB once the sheer amount of crap it put all over my computer and the hassle of getting rid of it means i will never use it again, ever.
xUKHCx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 10:26 AM   #6
michaelmcgaw
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfoundglory View Post
NetBarrier X4 10.4.3 also works with leopard.
I have to admit that I'm skeptical about NetBarrier X4. I've licensed Intego's AV solution and it has worked so poorly for me (on Tiger, admittedly) that I've been loathe to try any of Intego's other software.

The current Little Snitch beta on Leopard works quite nicely and the beta product is a VERY nice step up from the previous version.
michaelmcgaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:24 AM   #7
Habusho
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmcgaw View Post
I have to admit that I'm skeptical about NetBarrier X4. I've licensed Intego's AV solution and it has worked so poorly for me (on Tiger, admittedly) that I've been loathe to try any of Intego's other software.

The current Little Snitch beta on Leopard works quite nicely and the beta product is a VERY nice step up from the previous version.
I've been hearing that it uses up a lot of resources including CPU cycles.
Habusho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 01:52 PM   #8
michaelmcgaw
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habusho View Post
I've been hearing that it uses up a lot of resources including CPU cycles.
I do believe that the "UI" component (I forget the full component name) does have a memory leak right now, from appearances, that is. Since the product is in beta, I've reported what I've observed to the developer.

On the other hand I haven't noticed any problem with CPU cycles, but I'll have to admit that I've not been watching that. I'll have to check CPU usage and see what's happening there. I've certainly not noticed any response issues with Little Snitch or my system while LS is doing its thing.
michaelmcgaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X