Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 6, 2007, 06:03 AM   #1
XheartcoreboyX
macrumors 6502a

Quicktime PRO Edits videos in seconds! How??

so i purchased QuickTime Pro .. and im tottaly shocked !!

i grap the markers on the both sides and choose a part-a BIG part- of the playing video..then "trim to selection" and saved the video...and it took like less than 2 min and the video is saved with high quality !!??

whats the secret behind that??

in iMovie it takes like FOREVER !!

can someone please explain this to me ??

thanks !!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 06:18 AM   #2
sammich
macrumors 601

It is a very useful feature, combine with frame by frame skipping, it's totally invaluable.

The trimming feature is simply like cropping a photo. Select the part you want, copy it, make a new file, save it. It will save it the original encoding (audio, video, subtitles, etc.).

iMovie always re-encodes it. Ie: small, medium, large etc. So there is the overhead of converting the video.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 06:50 AM   #3
XheartcoreboyX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammich View Post
It is a very useful feature, combine with frame by frame skipping, it's totally invaluable.

The trimming feature is simply like cropping a photo. Select the part you want, copy it, make a new file, save it. It will save it the original encoding (audio, video, subtitles, etc.).

iMovie always re-encodes it. Ie: small, medium, large etc. So there is the overhead of converting the video.
thanks alot !!

thats tottaly useful ,,

so the result video will be the exact same quality as the original ??!!
Old Nov 6, 2007, 06:57 AM   #4
l33r0y
macrumors 6502

Yes, it is not re-encoding it.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:12 AM   #5
XheartcoreboyX
macrumors 6502a

Well, i got a question ,,

what if i want to join 2 videos together(like cd1 + cd2 of a movie) ..

can i choose to add the next video after the first ends ??
Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:38 AM   #6
motulist
macrumors 68040

Is it actually trimming the video file, or just placing a new start-time and end-time marker in the video file? Meaning, if you have a 1 hour 600 mb movie and crop it down to 1 minute, will it now be a 60 mb file, or still a 600 mb file?
motulist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:46 AM   #7
XheartcoreboyX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by motulist View Post
Is it actually trimming the video file, or just placing a new start-time and end-time marker in the video file? Meaning, if you have a 1 hour 600 mb movie and crop it down to 1 minute, will it now be a 60 mb file, or still a 600 mb file?
The result video is smaller in size ..

in my case i trimmed a music video (74mb / 00:4:10 ) and what i got is (63.6mb / 00:3:38 ) ..

what kinda excites me is that the result video is ".mov" the original is ".avi" ..does it really matter ??
Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:49 AM   #8
sammich
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by XheartcoreboyX View Post
Well, i got a question ,,

what if i want to join 2 videos together(like cd1 + cd2 of a movie) ..

can i choose to add the next video after the first ends ??
It works like select/copy does in preview. Simply place the braces around the part you want (or you can press command-a for select all), then make a new movie (command-n) then paste. The pointer is where the pasted section will go, so you can paste the two movie sections in any order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motulist View Post
I guess it will be in proportion to the length of the cut section (not precisely, but very close). So a cutting 1 min out of a 100 min movie (1000 mb) will make it a 10 meg movie.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 07:52 AM   #9
sammich
macrumors 601

Quote:
The result video is smaller in size ..

in my case i trimmed a music video (74mb / 00:4:10 ) and what i got is (63.6mb / 00:3:38 ) ..

what kinda excites me is that the result video is ".mov" the original is ".avi" ..does it really matter ??
.avi is simply a container file for movies, like .mov is for QT and .mkv is for open source.

I used to have a problem with .mkv movies playing in VLC, so all i do now is opening it QT Pro, when save it when it has read the entire movie (QT does this to .kv movies for some reason). It saves it as .mov and it plays fine everywhere.

Last edited by sammich; Nov 6, 2007 at 08:03 AM.
sammich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 02:51 PM   #10
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
If you want to watch a .mov file, you'd probably need QuickTime to be installed. No problem on Macs, but not every Windows machine might have it.
theBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store