Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I am a new Mac convert (September 2007) and I have a 24" iMac @ 2.4Ghz.

For many years I have been using Turbo Tax for Windows, and it has been adequate for my needs. When I switched to the Mac I bought a copy of Quicken/Mac to replace my copy of Quicken/Windows. What a disappointment ! The Mac version seems to be about 3 years behind the Windows version. Thanks, Intuit.

Having said all that; I am considering Turbo Tax for the Mac with some reservations, based on my Quicken experience. I can afford to be annoyed with the outdated Quicken/Mac, but I cannot use a tax program that might be equally outdated.

My question: Is anyone using TurboTax/Mac; and, if so, what are your observations?

Thanks for your comments.

DerekS

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
I always just use the web-based version, which has traditionally worked great on Macs.

There's little value to installing an app that you will use once, then remove.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I always just use the web-based version, which has traditionally worked great on Macs.

There's little value to installing an app that you will use once, then remove.

I have always been a little uncertain about an online app for taxes, because all of one's financial information could be compromised. I'm sure they claim to have adequate safeguards, but we are constantly made aware of the fact that someone has stolen thousands of computer records; I think the last major theft was from the SSA.

Am I just paranoid ?

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I have used TurboTax for Mac for my taxes last year. It had a major bug that the customer service rep had no idea how to fix even though he tried as best as he could. I don't think he had access to a Mac. Anyways, apparently the bug affected only a small number of install CD packages and I was one of the unlucky customers. Once I got everything sorted out, the program ran well, so I would not worry about the quality of TurboTax. I'd probably use it again.

PS: I managed to fix things by using some not-so-well-known UNIX commands, but I don't think that would be easy for most customers. The bug prevented not only the program from working properly, but also prevented me from uninstalling it. It was quite a headache for a few hours. It seems it was a one time problem for them, so I am cutting them some slack. However, it is clear they did not have as much experience programming for UNIX variants such as OSX.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
I have used TurboTax for Mac for my taxes last year. It had a major bug that the customer service rep had no idea how to fix even though he tried as best as he could. I don't think he had access to a Mac.

That's the problem that concerns me. I suspect that the Mac business produces a small portion of Intuit's revenue; therefore, they don't devote much in the way of resources.

Other than "on line" tax preparation, does anyone know of an alternative program?

Thanks for your help.

dirtleg

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2006
St. Louis
I have been using TurboTax for years on Mac's. Never had any problems, perhaps I have been lucky. The only glitch I have run into is that I have never been able to get the data transfers for W-2's or Quicken to work. But my tax situation is a fairly basic affair. I do itemize and use the regular long form, and I have used the State program as well with no problems. I have also used the electronic filing the last three years. I can't help you with a comparison to the Widows version as we have always been a Mac family.
If you are one to do your own taxes, I recommend it. I have been doing my own taxes for many years and intend to keep on doing it myself and using TurboTax as long as a Mac version is available.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
I used the PC version for Tax years 1999 through 2003, and the Mac version for 2004 through 2006. I'll be using the Mac version again for 2007. I haven't had any problems installing or using any of them, including electronic filing. From memory, the look and feel is virtually identical on both platforms.

Also my first Mac version in 2004 imported my 2003 PC file with no issues, and transferred all of my data seamlessly.

winterdude010

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
New York
TurboTax for Windows and Mac are identical in features, etc. There is no "slacking-off" in terms of the Mac version. It's a great tax program, and the support team is able to help in most instances, theBB's problem did not affect everyone, and its not like that happens every year, and besides its either that, the online version, or H&R's crap software...I love TurboTax for my taxes..you won't be disappointed by purchasing it.

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Many thanks for your inputs. I will try TurboTax/Mac in April and report the results here. Since I have used the Windows version for many years, I can fairly compare the two.

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
I've used it.

It worked OK. But I decided that it was actually easier to spend some extra Money and go to a Tax Place to get it done... The Low Tech method I found is much easier because you give them all your paperwork and they type the data in much more easier then you will... They also know the laws better so where you may have tried to itemize your Mac as an expence they may go to you and and ask you carefully what you use it for In my case I couldn't because although I use it for Work and School, I don't need to use it because Work would provide me with the computer if I needed it.

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2006
I have used the Mac version the last few years and the Windows version prior to that. No differences or problems for TurboTax.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
I have always been a little uncertain about an online app for taxes, because all of one's financial information could be compromised. I'm sure they claim to have adequate safeguards, but we are constantly made aware of the fact that someone has stolen thousands of computer records; I think the last major theft was from the SSA.

Am I just paranoid ?

I don't think you're being paranoid at all. Every company who has ever had data stolen did so while claiming to their customers that their system was safe.

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
I've used TurboTax for 15 years on the Mac - back when it was Macintax.

I have no complaints. I have been manually entering in my data, not using their web-based or Internet partners to get "my" data. I do use the import from last year function. That saves a lot of time re-entering demographic information.

My taxes have gotten increasingly "complicated" (read - I bought a house, got married, had kids, own some stock, etc.) over the years. I can still hit within $100 on the back of an envelope, but Turbotax does everything for you. When you want to see how a change will affect your taxes, it is easy to add it in and take it out. I have had no problems with its accuracy.

I find the Turbotax recommendations and insights relatively useless, although reinforcing the obvious is probably never bad.

The best part about Turbotax is the free state download they give you. Basically, you do your federal taxes and then it moves everything into your state taxes. It asks a few more questions and you are done with both. This is great.

If you continue to use Turbotax, it has a 5-year tax average for you. That is a nice feature as well.

I'm waiting to see if I get hit by AMT this year. Of course, Congress is going to "fix" that "soon" (because it was the dirty little secret of the Bush Tax Cuts). With online updates in Turbotax, all the new forms will just flow straight into my computer and solve the calculation problems for me right away. Lots better than doing it by hand.

lena

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2006
Colorado
Since I got my first Mac (almost 6 years ago), I have used TurboTax and have been happy (have used both the online version and the installed version) - go for it! :)

mjc63

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
Turbotax Needs Os X 10.4

I've used Turbotax for 15 years, 6 on my Mac until now. They never advertised you need 10.4 until you go on their site (turbotax.com) and dig around. I was holding off upgrading OS due to financial things on my computer, but now I have to risk it. Ugggh.

ToddBurger

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
Turbotax 2008 for MAC Not What It Claims To Be

Intuit has been shortchanging MAC users for years. I dumped Quicken for the MAC as it went without meaningful support for stability problems and progressively lost features made available in the Windows version (I use MoneyDance and have never looked back). But after being dissatisfied with TaxCut last year (It will not import Fidelity data, while TurboTax does), I decided to give Intuit's Turbotax another try. After confirming on the Turbotax website that Turbotax could transfer in my data from TaxCut2007, I purchased TurboTax 2008. Immediately after purchase I ran into trouble trying to do the transfer (TaxCut file grayed out and not accessible). I reached out to Turbotax support and was provided as a "resolution" direction to this hidden gem on their support site: "You can't transfer from TaxCut or TaxACT to TurboTax for the Mac. If you want to transfer from these products, try one of our TurboTax Windows desktop products." Intuit seems intent on maximizing sales and screwing MAC users. If they are not going to support the platform, and continue to mislead consumers that their products function fully on the MAC, then I say we boycott the company's entire product line.:mad:

StingerT125

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Dutchess County New York
I've used TurboTax for 3 or 4 years on my PC previously and then switched to a Mac and used that version last year and had no problems.

I will be purchasing it and using it this year on my Mac again.

TexAg

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2010
I just switched to mac this year. If I download TurboTax for Mac, will it automatically detect my TT files from last year (pc format)? Or do I need to convert last year's files to a mac format first?

GregPQ

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
Massachusetts
I'm about to try this myself. I think that all you need to do is copy the PC file with extension .tax2008 to the Mac. Probably best to do before you install Turbotax 2009 on the Mac. The intuit website provides quite a bit of such PC=>Mac help.

Greg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.