Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmccarten

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
After a problem-free week of Leopard on my MBP, I have suddenly been afflicted with constant internet connection loss via my airport. The connection is excruciatingly slow (15-30 kbps instead of my usual 300+kbps), and it literally fails every 25 seconds or so (i.e., clicking on a link and opening a new tab "fails to open the page" about 50% of the time). To get it working again, I just have to click refresh until the connection resumes...

My other computer (running Ubuntu) has no problems with the internet, so it isn't the ISP or my modem/router hardware.
Has anyone else experienced this? Are there ways to make it work again? Can we assume that this is something which will be addressed in 10.5.1?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
If the network were just randomly dropping out, I'd say it was a software issue, but the behavior you're describing sounds a whole lot more like interference.

Your router may be fine, but are you sure there's nothing between it and your Mac that could be screwing with the signal? Or perhaps the Mac is closer to some source of interference than the other computer?

If you haven't already experimented with this, you might try standing right next to the base station when it starts happening and see if that helps, see if turning Interference Robsutness on makes any difference at all, and/or try switching the network to another channel.

I was having a lot of intermittent dropped connection problems with Tiger (though these were straight-out drops, not poor quality connection) that were resolved by changing the channel of the network--it was apparently fighting with a neighbor's router that wasn't on all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.