Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Hi,

I'm writing on behalf of a friend who purchased a MacBook this summer in the U.S. but lives here in Egypt. The machine won't boot at all, I've tried all I can, and think now there may be a hardware problem. A few questions...

1. A MacBook warranty is international yes? Can anyone show me somewhere on the Apple site that actually confirms this?

2. We have an Apple Authorised Service Provider here in Egypt, but they are refusing to repair it under warranty, saying they are not obliged to accept warranty repairs for machines purchased elsewhere. Can this be true? Instead they quoted him approx. $1300 for a new logic board!

3. If (2) above isn't true, what can he do short of flying back to the U.S.? Is there anything that says they HAVE to accept a warranty repair?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

PatMack

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
The applecare protection plan is worldwide. Period.

Any authorized apple service center has to service it, as long as they aren't denying the service due to voiding of the warranty (Opening the laptop, physical abuse), your friend has every right to get it fixed free.

I would call Apple USA and tell them your story. Ask them to look up service centers in your friends area. If the shop in question is listed, Im sure Apple will have a word with them about providing your friend with service.

I hope that helps!

Pat

PatMack

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
http://images.apple.com/legal/warranty/docs/cpuwarranty.pdf

OBTAINING WARRANTY SERVICE
Please access and review the online help resources referred to in the documentation
accompanying this hardware product before requesting warranty service. If the product is
still not functioning properly after making use of these resources, please contact the Apple
representatives or, if applicable, an Apple owned retail store (“Apple Retail”) or AASP located
using the information provided in the documentation.
When contacting Apple via telephone,
other charges may apply depending on your location. When calling, an Apple representative
or AASP will help determine whether your product requires service and, if it does, will inform
you how Apple will provide it. You must assist in diagnosing issues with your product and
follow Apple’s warranty processes.

AASP = Apple Authorized Service Provider

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Thanks all - we'll go back to them and try again, armed with this info.
Regards,
Ben

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
They did accept the warranty.... but charged him for the shipping cost & import duty on the new parts (if I remember correctly - it was a while ago).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.