Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asessinox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
Wondering if you guys could help me out.

Recently got a new LCD and a good quality 5.1 sound system, and was thinking of getting an Apple TV as a method of streaming music to the system.

I'd want to utilize the Apple TV and the LCD for changing the music from the room, as opposed to going to my Mac. I'd get a HDMI cable into the LCD from the Apple TV, then take an optical audio out from the LCD, into the sound system.

Now I've heard that the Apple TV doesnt support 5.1? What's the story there? And also, will the quality be adequate to take advantage of the sound system?

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys.

kjr39

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
The AppleTV doesn't handle 5.1, but it doesn't have to. It does send a 5.1 signal to your receiver for it to decode though... So, yes, it does work with 5.1.

The quality will be fine as it is a digital signal.

Do a search, there's alot of stuff on 5.1 and AppleTV.

tronic72

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
What a load of crap!!!

The AppleTV doesn't handle 5.1, but it doesn't have to. It does send a 5.1 signal to your receiver for it to decode though... So, yes, it does work with 5.1.

The quality will be fine as it is a digital signal.

Do a search, there's alot of stuff on 5.1 and AppleTV.

If I see one more person incorrectly say Apple Tv supports 5.1 surround I'll scream! Bottom line is; it is currently NOT possible to watch movies with surround sound on the Apple TV. Specs aside, I don't care if it "technically should or will" the bottom line is it doesn't play surround sound at the moment!

By the way kjr39, do you actually have an Apple TV???

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If I see one more person incorrectly say Apple Tv supports 5.1 surround I'll scream! Bottom line is; it is currently NOT possible to watch movies with surround sound on the Apple TV. Specs aside, I don't if it "technically should or will" the bottom line is it doesn't play surround so at the moment. Be wary!

Will it handle 6:1 then? :p
I couldn't resist.

tronic72

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Ha Ha !!

Will it handle 6:1 then? :p
I couldn't resist.

Actually, according to a post/thread about the "SPECS" of the Apple TV. The chip that controls the sound (I forget the name, it's a common chip brand used in Windows PCs) is listed as a 6.1 surround sound chip :p

Sorry to fly off the handle but i think there's a lot of miss information about surround sound and the Apple TV. Should is NOT the same as DOES.

My 2c

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
If I see one more person incorrectly say Apple Tv supports 5.1 surround I'll scream! Bottom line is; it is currently NOT possible to watch movies with surround sound on the Apple TV. Specs aside, I don't care if it "technically should or will" the bottom line is it doesn't play surround sound at the moment!

He's correct.

It is possible it may be added in the future. The hardware has the potential to handle 5.1 output but the software currently doesn't.

tronic72

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Thanks for the support

He's correct.

It is possible it may be added in the future. The hardware has the potential to handle 5.1 output but the software currently doesn't.

Thanks for the support. I'm sick of people misleading others by quoting the machines specs and saying "yes it does" when currently it doesn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.