Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
So, the text has become outlined in on my Weather and Calendar dashboard widgets (per the picture):

widgets.jpg

It's been like this for a few months, but it's really starting to bother me now. I tried clearing out my user caches and Dashboard caches. I'm all out of ideas. Help?

kostia

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
You have a different Helvetica active than the Helvetica.dfont these widgets are expecting.

This used to happen to me all the time (with the text being on a much higher baseline, as in your temperature reading. Do you maybe have a Helvetica Outline font, or some other version of Helvetica, in your ~/Library/Fonts folder? Move it out of there if so, and if you're in print/design use Suitcase or FontBook to activate your production fonts only as needed.

It's been my experience that if Helvetica.dfont is the first/only Helvetica the system has active at the time Dashboard is first launched, or when you log in, you can safely activate other Helveticas for work without having the widgets screw up again.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Thanks! Worked perfectly. That was bugging the hell out of me.

guttedmullet

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
Outlined Text

Thank you so much. Finding this post has scratched an itch that's been bugging me for far too long!
Sweet relief

birdington

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
thanks--was a problem in osx 10.8.5 too

This was a problem in my old 10.4 imac and became a problem again in 10.8. I never figured out the problem and thought i was going crazy when it happened again! Thanks so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.