Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slabwax

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I received and unlocked my I phone last night. First of all it was a 4gb referb came with 1.1.1

The unlocking was pretty easy. But one things I'm unsure of.

1: When I miss a call and it goes to voice mail the phone has a pop up that says "call failed" . Is this normal? My voice mail is working fine Everything is as it should be except the pop up. Please help

Dean

Tico-iPhone

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
You better check this out!

If you see "Call Ended" and then "Call Failed" immediately after trying to dial out from your iPhone.....

There probably is no problem with the phone. I had the same thing happen to me - iPhone 1.1.4

Just remember these 2 steps:
1) Settings > General > Date and Time > (Here, switch off "Set Automatically" and manually select your hometown). Then manually set the date and time.

Apparently the SIM and carrier wont work if date and time aren't set well, make sure date and time are the current ones

2) Settings > Phone > Show My Caller ID > Switch ON

Usually people who virginize or upgrade or even first time unlockers - forget to change the default Location setting - which is Cupertino. If you dont change it, you will not be able to make outgoing calls. But the wierd part is, you will still be able to receive incoming calls.

Hope that helps!

TGibson810

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
If you see "Call Ended" and then "Call Failed" immediately after trying to dial out from your iPhone.....

There probably is no problem with the phone. I had the same thing happen to me - iPhone 1.1.4

1) Settings > General > Date and Time > (Here, switch off "Set Automatically" and manually select your hometown). Then manually set the date and time.

Apparently the SIM and carrier wont work if date and time aren't set well, make sure date and time are the current ones

Usually people who virginize or upgrade or even first time unlockers - forget to change the default Location setting - which is Cupertino. If you dont change it, you will not be able to make outgoing calls. But the wierd part is, you will still be able to receive incoming calls.

Hope that helps!

It sure helped me!! Thank you SO much!! I was about to get irate on some poor innocent Apple Tech, haha, works like a charm now!

odysseus

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008

I get "call failed" when someone calls and I don't pick up the phone. The steps you indicated don't make a difference. Any suggestions?

fallsguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
call failed message fix

After talking to Rogers iphone support about my failed calls:confused:, the simple fix is to power off the phone using the slidebar at least once a week. This will clear up any connection issues to your local towers. By powering off it re-sets something in the phone that clears up multiple issues. Hope this helps. It worked for me. Cheers.......:)

jonasdalhoff

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2008
I have a 3g version and every time i try to make a call it says Call ended and then call failed.
I have tried to set the time manually and my caller id is on, but greyed out.

Still I cannot make a outgoing call.

I bought the phone in italy (live in denmark) unlocked.

does anybody have a clue of what to do?

Lozza

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
U.K.
Call Failed

I have a 3g iPhone, running 2.2 on O2 network here in the UK. Until yesterday, this phone was working fine. The next day I turned it on and found I was unable to dial out. Each time I tried, I'd automatically get a Call Failed message. If I hit Retry, the phone would freeze requiring a reboot to turn off/start up again.
(Reboot being holding down the home button and lock button at the same time, until a white apple shows on the screen again). :apple:

I also can't receive calls - it rings as it should, however when I slide the 'lock' over the screen to pick up, the phone again freezes and neither party can hear one another.

Strangely enough the rest of the phone works - SMS, Safari on the wifi network at home, camera etc... But not the 'phone' part!

A call to O2 and Apple support had me turning on/off 3G, Airplane mode, reseting network settings, trying the SIM in a different handset, restoring through iTunes, restoring through iTunes using a new profile and not my backed up one - but no joy. Dead.

Bought in July '08 at the launch of the 3G model, I'm let down with a device less than 6 months old. :(

Options are return to high street O2 store - where they will send it away for repair (7-10 business days is what they're quoting), where it will get repaired or replaced, depending on what's up with it.

Oh, they're out of loan phones too, so I'll be out of contact during that period. And no, they won't reimburse my account accordingly.

Bearing in mind it's New Year and a weekend coming up, the timing just couldn't be better...

Returning the device to a high street Apple store is no different, they're quoting even longer times without it.

Great service eh!? :mad:

DMoney0023

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
hey when talking on the iPhone sometimes, it will say "call failed" in the middle of the conversation. Does that mean it was my phone that lost the connection or the other line??

Lozza

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
U.K.
Call Failed

Right then, further to my last post on Dec 30th, I handed in my iPhone at the local O2 store on the high street, on Mon 5th Jan. I'd tried all I could think of to get it to make and receive calls, and so had Apple Support - but to no avail...

O2 boxed it up in front of me and said it would be sent to their approved Apple repairer - 'expect 7-10 business days'.

On Thu 8th Jan I get a call from the store telling me that my NEW iPhone is ready for collection!

They didn't bother repairing my original and have replaced it for new.
Fair enough. Shame they didn't tell the store what the fault was so that they could tell me...

Plugged into iTunes, restored my back up and we're up and running again.

It's nice to have you back! :D

Sonya74

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Call failed when calling abroad.

Hello, I hope someone can help.

I have an Iphone 3G and my contract is with O2. I am living in the UK and when I try to make a phone call to my home country Italy the phone always gives me the message "Call failed" :confused:.

I called customer services at O2 and they said that there is no "block" on my contract that restricts me to do calls abroad.

So there is something going on with my Iphone!!!!! Can you help me please .... I wanna be able to call my mama :p in Italy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help guys,

Sonya.

Lanatus

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2010
SBSettings Caller ID toggle

I'm on 3GS IOS4.1 (JB). Encountered call failed problem as well.
Caller ID switch was greyed out in iphone setting. Found one solution which allow me to toggle the "show my caller Id" switch again by installing "SBSettings Caller ID toggle" via Cydia.

JoeVane

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Thanks!

Caller ID switch was greyed out in iphone setting. Found one solution which allow me to toggle the "show my caller Id" switch again by installing "SBSettings Caller ID toggle" via Cydia.

Thank You!!! I was going crazy and just about to restore my Iphone (4.1) unlocked with the gevey card ... I could not make any calls, but after turning off and then on the caller id option using "Caller ID SBSettings" it worked!!!

I had to make an account just to thank you.

Regards!.:D

fish1973

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
Call Fail

Help needed:

I'm facing the Call fail problem since a couple of days, I have tried all the steps below. It helps but temporarily works for about 6 hours or so.

I have noticed that this is happening when im on an active call and if there is a call waiting and the the whole thing gets mixed up, Mute button & face time button is highlighted even i don't press it.

I have tried speaking with the service provider and all they can say is my sim is working fine and there is no problem with it. Also they disagree that its a coverage issue.

I have updated my iphone to the latest software and have restored it several times.

Would appreciate if anyone could help.

Hope that helps![/QUOTE]

fish1973

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
Help needed:

I'm facing the Call fail problem since a couple of days, I have tried all the steps below. It helps but temporarily works for about 6 hours or so.

I have noticed that this is happening when im on an active call and if there is a call waiting and the the whole thing gets mixed up, Mute button & face time button is highlighted even i don't press it.

I have tried speaking with the service provider and all they can say is my sim is working fine and there is no problem with it. Also they disagree that its a coverage issue.

I have updated my iphone to the latest software and have restored it several times.

Would appreciate if anyone could help.

Thank You!!! I was going crazy and just about to restore my Iphone (4.1) unlocked with the gevey card ... I could not make any calls, but after turning off and then on the caller id option using "Caller ID SBSettings" it worked!!!

rajiv.gandhi

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
Thanks !!

This worked for my iPhone4 also. I was struggling to get some help from last 20 days, I was about to reinstall iOS but this helped me in just 30 seconds.

My iPhone details are :
iPhone 4
iOS version 4.0
Unlocked and Jailbroken
Using Vodafone India Sim

I just created accunt to thank for this post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.