Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holybatfart

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2007
Johio
Will Call of Duty 4 Modern ware fare come to Mac, or should I just get it for Xbox 360?
Aspyr hasn't even announced that they are working on making a port of CoD4 so you might just wanna get it for the 360. Besides, you'll be missing out on a fantastic game if you wait.:)

CamRan

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
I only wish, i'm reinstalling vista for the sole purpose of playing this game.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Anyone tried this on a low-spec Alu iMac (2.0 with 2400XT GPU and 3GB RAM)? If so, how does it play? I saw the trailer for the first time this evening and it looks a bit good :)

h1ggins

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2007
Installed XP and have been playing it on my 20inch 2.4 iMac....runs great...multiplayer rocks...

hey, ive got a macbook 2gb ram, i was thinking if i donwloaded and installed paralells or whatever to run xp, is there anything else i need to do like install graphics drivers or would it run simple as?

my flatmate has it on ps3 in hd, im so jeaous i wanna ruin his life by owning him online :p

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I've been playing it since it was released via Boot Camp/ Windows XP. Beautiful game, multiplayer is a blast. It runs VERY fast on my Mac Pro/x1900. 1344x1024 on my 30" ACD with everything turned on and 4x antialiasing still never chokes - I even increased MaxFPS to 90 and I've never seen it lag, even on 32-person servers in the thick of the action.

I didn't try COD 4 on Parallels, but other games that need Direct X won't run for crap that way.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I've been playing it since it was released via Boot Camp/ Windows XP. Beautiful game, multiplayer is a blast. It runs VERY fast on my Mac Pro/x1900. 1344x1024 on my 30" ACD with everything turned on and 4x antialiasing still never chokes - I even increased MaxFPS to 90 and I've never seen it lag, even on 32-person servers in the thick of the action.

I didn't try COD 4 on Parallels, but other games that need Direct X won't run for crap that way.
Unless you are running this at low textures, lighting and effects - then this is totally impossible. An x1900 BARELY plays this game at 1280x1024 with any type of AA on. I have a 1900xtx with a dual core 2.7ghz processor, 2GB RAM in XP and it will hover in the low 30's at 1280 maxed out. The 1900xtx is the faster version of your card, and quad core on your MacPro is certainly not going to make up the difference. And your MacPro or any other Mac is not some magical device. Call of Duty 4 taxes even the latest GPUs.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Unless you are running this at low textures, lighting and effects - then this is totally impossible. An x1900 BARELY plays this game at 1280x1024 with any type of AA on. I have a 1900xtx with a dual core 2.7ghz processor, 2GB RAM in XP and it will hover in the low 30's at 1280 maxed out. The 1900xtx is the faster version of your card, and quad core on your MacPro is certainly not going to make up the difference. And your MacPro or any other Mac is not some magical device. Call of Duty 4 taxes even the latest GPUs.

Sorry, no offense meant but you don't know what you're talking about. 90 FPS - no lag. Several hours just today. Textures, lighting, shadows all set at normal (options are either "low" or "normal"). Screen resolution 1280x1024. 4x anti-aliasing. I was mistaken about screen resolution - 1344x1024 is what I have set for CoD 2 on the Mac partition. The X1900 is driving two 30" ACD's although the other one only shows the reduced resolution window of the Window background whle the game is loaded.

I've been playing online FPS since Quake I. I'm sensitive to the video, was apprehensive about FPS on this monitor and machine. CoD 4, CoD 2 (Mac version), Quake IV, QW:ET demo, BF 2142....all of 'em just rip along no problem. Oh, and Quake III too, my all-time favorite.

YOU may think it's impossible, but I'm actually doing it. Post back when you load up your new 3 ghz 4-core Mac Pro...tell me if I'm right or wrong.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Sorry, no offense meant but you don't know what you're talking about. 90 FPS - no lag. Several hours just today. Textures, lighting, shadows all set at normal (options are either "low" or "normal"). Screen resolution 1280x1024. 4x anti-aliasing. I was mistaken about screen resolution - 1344x1024 is what I have set for CoD 2 on the Mac partition. The X1900 is driving two 30" ACD's although the other one only shows the reduced resolution window of the Window background whle the game is loaded.

I've been playing online FPS since Quake I. I'm sensitive to the video, was apprehensive about FPS on this monitor and machine. CoD 4, CoD 2 (Mac version), Quake IV, QW:ET demo, BF 2142....all of 'em just rip along no problem. Oh, and Quake III too, my all-time favorite.

YOU may think it's impossible, but I'm actually doing it. Post back when you load up your new 3 ghz 4-core Mac Pro...tell me if I'm right or wrong.
I know exactly what I'm talking about, your MacPro system isn't some magical source of power. The game is HEAVILY GPU dependent and that x1900 is old news. You post up with your configuration screen and the FRAPS screenshot to prove it. Dual core vs Quad core is not going to make ANY difference. Current benchmarks at 1280x1024 @ 4AA and 16xAF have the 8800GTX MAXING at 68FPS. I've been playing computer games WELL before Quake 1 and have owned just about everything related in between. Post proof, because there is NO WAY you are running this game at 90FPS without having AA and every effect turned off.

If you're so sensitive to video, you'd have noticed that running a game at a resolution other than the native of an LCD panel. Causes the image to scaled up something ugly.

Next you'll be telling us you are running Crysis maxed out @ 60FPS on that x1900.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
The Quad Core is indeed no magical device. However, Macs are way better in performance from PC's with the same configuration. My iMac X1600 runs games a lot faster than PC's with the same specs.

I haven't played COD 4, but I believe him. And he didn't say that he is running the game at 90 FPS. He said that he increased the MaxFPS variable to that, meaning that the maximum FPS he will be getting will be 90. But that doesn't mean that the game will reach that score. He may be playing the game at 40 fps, and with an LCD panel, that will have no major difference to playing at 60 or at 70 fps. Since both of you are so sensitive about video, that's Video performance's "1,2,3" steps.

I wouldn't be so serious about what I'm saying about a game's performance on a Mac (like you) if I hadn't played it. Intel Macs show a very high performance boost in games compared to old IBM processors. Even if they are running windows. And many times prove faster than PC's with the same specs. I have played many games, like C&C 3, Half Life 2, Need For Speed Carbon, and others, that prove my point.

However, I would love to see some proof with FRAPS. ;)

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
The Quad Core is indeed no magical device. However, Macs are way better in performance from PC's with the same configuration. My iMac X1600 runs games a lot faster than PC's with the same specs.

I haven't played COD 4, but I believe him. And he didn't say that he is running the game at 90 FPS. He said that he increased the MaxFPS variable to that, meaning that the maximum FPS he will be getting will be 90. But that doesn't mean that the game will reach that score. He may be playing the game at 40 fps, and with an LCD panel, that will have no major difference to playing at 60 or at 70 fps. Since both of you are so sensitive about video, that's Video performance's "1,2,3" steps.

I wouldn't be so serious about what I'm saying about a game's performance on a Mac (like you) if I hadn't played it. Intel Macs show a very high performance boost in games compared to old IBM processors. Even if they are running windows. And many times prove faster than PC's with the same specs. I have played many games, like C&C 3, Half Life 2, Need For Speed Carbon, and others, that prove my point.

However, I would love to see some proof with FRAPS. ;)
Yeh, default MaxFPS was 85, I just bumped it to 90 because I was in the MP .cfg file anyway (changing the default timeout for acquiring a server - they're having a problem with that). IW says that 60 FPS is the holy grail for that game. I've recorded a few demos, but I haven't run /timedemo on them and I haven't seen a standard downloadable timedemo anywhere on the web yet. I don't have FRAPS on that machine, but I'll download it and run it for you when I get a chance. At the least, I'll see if CoD 4 will accept cg_drawFPS . I would think it would.

What I do know, as does Overcast, surely (since he's played it on a Mac Pro ;)), is that CoD 4 has at least a couple of very detailed but ridiculously small maps ("Shipment" and "Wet Work") that turn out to be nonstop grenade-fests (frag and flash-bang) and are really pretty absurd with 20+ players on them. With 4x anti-aliasing on and all textures and lighting set at Normal, I fully expected that action to bring that Mac to its knees at 1280x1024. It certainly doesn't, it doesn't visibly slow down a bit, and I was pleasantly surprised given the really exceptional detail and texturing inherent to that game.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
FRAPS shows an average frame rate of about 75 FPS. Average minimum was about 45, avaerage maximum was about 85. ver 4 different maps.

4x antialiasing on, textures and lighting all set at normal (normal or low are the choices), 1280x1024.

Help!

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
It runs very smooth on x1900 1680x1050 with everything except AA up. (I haven't tried it with AA).

stuff99

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2007
hey, ive got a macbook 2gb ram, i was thinking if i donwloaded and installed paralells or whatever to run xp, is there anything else i need to do like install graphics drivers or would it run simple as?

my flatmate has it on ps3 in hd, im so jeaous i wanna ruin his life by owning him online :p

dont bother trying to play video games through parallels!

pscoble

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Petaluma
dont bother trying to play video games through parallels!

I agree especially on a MacBook. I'm going to buy it for the 360 this weekend hopefully all my friends said it is a lot of fun but I don't know how I feel about leave the WWII thing behind it's a good story line.

pgc6000

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
I'll bet my money Aspyr will port CoD 4 to the mac...around this time NEXT year. All of the CoD titles for the PC have found there way to the Mac, but I think you're better off on just going out and getting it for the 360.

rds1385

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
h1ggns -> i agree with the others. dont bother playing games with parallels or VMware. ive tried and had minimal success. get leopard and use bootcamp. i'm on a 2.4 core2duo macbook pro 2gb and vista runs lightning quick on it. faster than any pc i have seen actually. i am downloading the COD4 demo right now to see how it runs in vista. Any news on whether or not a mac version will be released?
:apple:

rafzulu

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
COD4 sweetness

I installed XP and then about 100 windows updates. After which I put steam on. Steam on then Downloaded COD4 after reading here that someone runs it well on their new imac 2.4.

Well the verdict is that, like you all know, mac is the best windows machine Ive ever had and it runs COD4 like a dream except for a small audio glich during intro s on the single player levels. I love the new imac and the windowz gaming side of things. ooooo aaaaa, I just had to tell someone.

COD4 in XP (bootcamp obviously)
imac 2.4 20inch 2g ram

IBitePrettyHard

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
I installed XP and then about 100 windows updates. After which I put steam on. Steam on then Downloaded COD4 after reading here that someone runs it well on their new imac 2.4.

Well the verdict is that, like you all know, mac is the best windows machine Ive ever had and it runs COD4 like a dream except for a small audio glich during intro s on the single player levels. I love the new imac and the windowz gaming side of things. ooooo aaaaa, I just had to tell someone.

COD4 in XP (bootcamp obviously)
imac 2.4 20inch 2g ram

What are your graphics set to on COD4? I've experimented with a bunch of resolution configs on my 24" iMac, and I was curious if you have anything different.

I set the resolution to 1,280 X 800 with the settings on Medium to High...and I recall getting around 35-45 fps in the demo most of the time. I was kinda hoping I could get even better performance though. I am still debating whether to get the Windows version or the 360 version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.