Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redfriar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Wales, UK
Just got my 2.2 SR macbook with the standard 1Gb RAM installed. Don't really need 4Gb RAM at the moment but at only £115 it seems stupid not to upgrade (I'll be adding Parallels soon) . Are there any downsides in having more RAM - eg . does sleeping use power proportional to the size of the RAM?

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Do you want the long or short answer to you question?

Short - NEVER
Long - You can NEVER have to much RAM!

Cinner

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2007
YES you can have too much ram! If you only use your Mac for browsing the internet, listening to music and watching movies, than 4 GB RAM is absolutely useless. So it depends on what you use your Mac for.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
... only £115 ...

When you feel your system is slow, upgrade then. Just enjoy it for now. Upgrade when cheaper too. Imagine how amazing it will be in a year to pop 3GB more RAM in for half that price (ish)? It'll seem like a new computer.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
The only way you can have "too much" is if you have more than it can support (check your MacBook's maximum at crucial.com) or if you've spent lots of money and gained very little from it (not "too much" technically speaking, just "pointless").

OS X loves RAM. General rule of thumb, the more you give it, the faster it goes with a few apps open.

redfriar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Wales, UK
Crucial have got 4Gb for £115.14.

It's the sleep power usage that's concerning me. Haven't measured it yet (too new) but say it uses 5% battery life to sleep overnight with 1Gb - would it use 15-20% with 4Gb? The trade off for the occasional blast of extra RAM whilst using Parallels for 10 minutes would not be worth it for me.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Delete your Cruical Cookies, they do dynamic pricing.

I ordered the single 2GB chip from Crucial for just ~£48 which means if you order two you can get 4Gb for just £98.

See this previosus post of mine

redfriar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Wales, UK
I'm quite happy with the safe sleep function. It's a question of conserving battery life when it's sleeping and still having the instant on capability. Problem is I will occasionally forget to plug the Macbook in overnight and then not use it for a couple of days. When I do want to use it I want to instantly turn it on and have enought charge left for an hour or two's surfing lying on the sofa. I have a wife who dislikes the charger cable running in the living room and a one year old child who's favourite thing is to pull the charger out when you're using it.:mad:

I've got other computers, in the office, that I use for work that need their performance - the macbook I just want to fit in with my life away from work (but still have the grunt if I need to edit photos or run Parallels on it.)

It's my natural geek instinct to max the RAM out but if it means an increase in the number of times I need to plug it into the mains then it probably isn't worth it.:(

jhu2

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
I bought 4 gigs or ram for my SR 2.2ghz macbook. It flies...and i don't do that much high ram apps but i want to be able to when i need to such as photoshop or imovie or something. anyway i don't know how it is with 2 gigs so i wouldn't be a good source for a comparison, but between 1gig and 4 gigs, the difference is huge.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Some might say so...

Attachments

• toomuchram.JPG
    toomuchram.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 133

bluedevils

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
If you are planning on running parallels with windows, then the ram will be put to good use. XP or Vista take enough of their own ram.

I'm not sure what additional drain the extra ram will have when the macbook sleeps.

miken79

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
If money is not an issue, than buy 4GB RAM. If you rather save, than I would look at what you would be using your Mac for. I have 2GB in mine and I use it for script programming, email, web browsing and Parallels. I haven't yet got to a point where I needed more memory. Occasionally I check the system RAM and see I usually have 600 - 800 MB free. Performance, I can not give you any information on when comparing higher and lower RAM models. Mine runs fast but have no clue how it would compare to a 4GB or 1GB model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.