Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 8, 2007, 06:05 PM   #1
Javdogjavdog
macrumors newbie

My first Leopard Bug: IMAP Mail Error, help!

Error message is as follows:

"The IMAP command “UID COPY” (to Deleted Messages) failed for the mailbox “INBOX” with server error: Error in IMAP command received by server.."

This is my first Leopard bug. The Mail program cannot delete messages using IMAP. Mail worked fine using Tiger, so that is lame. Now I have to use Webmail to actually delete a message. Any thoughts?

Jav
Javdogjavdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 06:15 PM   #2
Phil A.
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javdogjavdog View Post

"The IMAP command “UID COPY” (to Deleted Messages) failed for the mailbox “INBOX” with server error: Error in IMAP command received by server.."

This is my first Leopard bug. The Mail program cannot delete messages using IMAP. Mail worked fine using Tiger, so that is lame. Now I have to use Webmail to actually delete a message. Any thoughts?

Jav
What IMAP server are you using? IMAP delete works fine in Leopard for me with GMail
Phil A. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 07:46 PM   #3
baummer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to baummer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javdogjavdog View Post

Jav
This isn't a Leopard bug. The problem is on the server end. Which service? Or is this your own web site? I have 3 different IMAP accounts, all with different servers and providers and I have zero problems.
baummer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 01:17 PM   #4
ianpiper
macrumors newbie

Solution

This is not a server bug. It is something peculiar that seems to happen to IMAP account settings when upgrading to Leopard. Check out Mail->Preferences...->Accounts->Trash

You should see two checkboxes (if this is an IMAP account), the second of which reads "Store deleted messages on the server". This checkbox should not be checked - if it is checked, you get the error you reported.

Anyway, this happened to me on two of my machines and the above resolved it, so it is probably worth try.

Ian.
--
ianpiper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 06:24 PM   #5
GSMiller
macrumors 68000

I have this problem too with my AOL Mail account in Leopard. I said screw it and went back to POP3.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 03:50 AM   #6
arnski
macrumors newbie

This did the trick for me, thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianpiper View Post
This is not a server bug. It is something peculiar that seems to happen to IMAP account settings when upgrading to Leopard. Check out Mail->Preferences...->Accounts->Trash

You should see two checkboxes (if this is an IMAP account), the second of which reads "Store deleted messages on the server". This checkbox should not be checked - if it is checked, you get the error you reported.

Ian.
--
arnski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 07:05 PM   #7
sm1tty
macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot, that did the trick!!!!

Quote:

Anyway, this happened to me on two of my machines and the above resolved it, so it is probably worth try.

Ian.
--
sm1tty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 07:55 PM   #8
Executive
macrumors newbie

Quote:
this is not a server bug. It is something peculiar that seems to happen to imap account settings when upgrading to leopard. Check out mail->preferences...->accounts->trash

you should see two checkboxes (if this is an imap account), the second of which reads "store deleted messages on the server". This checkbox should not be checked - if it is checked, you get the error you reported.

Ian.
--
thank you!
Executive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:49 AM   #9
jakn09ab
macrumors newbie

Thank you

Quote:

Ian.
--
I've had a lot of troubles with this one as I somehow moved these emails from another account to my gmail trash.
I tried removing the account before and it didn't help. Then I followed your advice, and i was still the same problem. I removed the gmail and added it again and voila! Thanks a lot, my hair stopped turning gray for a few minutes!
jakn09ab is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store