Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whistler222

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Currently using a macbook, and hoping to get a mac pro once the update happens. I have 2 questions.

1. Can i buy the stock HD that comes with the Mac Pro, and upgrade other ones myself? (what kind of Harddrive does the bay take?)
or if i want more storage, i HAVE to buy the ones that apple gives me?
I know i can upgrade RAM elsewhere, but what about HD?

further, does the additional HDs show up as separate drives in finder?

2. Superdrive, i see you can get 2 superdrives installed. Can I run Handbrake and burn 2 dvds at one time? How is this done? do i open handbrake up twice? or is this not possible?
If not, what's the point of having 2 superdrives at all?

Thanks!

gojaromeiginla

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
The maximum amount of space you can have in your Mac is 3 TB. As far as I know, the hard drives show up separately. As far as the superdrives, you would have 2 drives to copy a DVD or CD without interfering with your hard drive.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
1. Can i buy the stock HD that comes with the Mac Pro, and upgrade other ones myself? (what kind of Harddrive does the bay take?)
or if i want more storage, i HAVE to buy the ones that apple gives me?
I know i can upgrade RAM elsewhere, but what about HD?

further, does the additional HDs show up as separate drives in finder?

2. Superdrive, i see you can get 2 superdrives installed. Can I run Handbrake and burn 2 dvds at one time?

You can upgrade all of the HDDs by simply mounting a SATA drive to the rail (screws already included) and sliding it in. That simple. The drive will need to be partitioned and will appear as a separate disk, of course you could set it up in a JBOD software RAID (the software RAID is part of OS X). Or a RAID 1, RAID 0.

I don't know specifically about handbrake, but I do believe you can burn two discs at once. I don't have experience to back this up.

whistler222

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Thank you!

anyone with specific Handbrake experience on burning 2 dvds at once?

i suppose you can watch one, and burn one.. but how about burning two at a time.

also, if you can just buy a HD and slide it in, whe the heck is the apple option SO expensive?
(same goes for RAM upgrade>>!??)

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
also, if you can just buy a HD and slide it in, whe the heck is the apple option SO expensive?

Because it's from Apple. It has that brand confidence and AppleCare–if YOUR RAM doesn't work, AppleCare won't do jack.

It's worth saving $1000 and forgoing the applecare in my opinion...

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004

I guess they justify it by them actually installing for you and making sure it works right. Remember, some people are inexperienced or afraid of doing stuff like that themselves.

goldenlotus

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Installing additional hardrives in the mac pro is really easy, there are no wires to attach. You just screw the drive to one of the sleds and slide it in place. It's as easy as installing ram.

Each drive shows up with it's own icon in the finder, just like external drives.

wentwj

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Because it's from Apple. It has that brand confidence and AppleCare–if YOUR RAM doesn't work, AppleCare won't do jack.

In addition its how they make a good portion of their money. For all the complaining that seems to happen the Mac Pro in generally is priced very competitively (less so at the moment with the recent price drop in the Xeons and the upgrade imminent). However the BTO options are often a major rip off, so they certainly make their margin there.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I would not get two superdrives stock. They would run on the same bus, which they max out if your using them at the same time. The best option would be buy a after market SATA dvd drive. Then cable it into one of the extra sata ports on the motherboard.

pbkiller

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007
Puerto Rico
To answer the fellow question, i have tried burning 2 discs at once (1 using Toast the other using Disco) and it has performed FLAWLESSLY. Almost every day i use on the top Bay the Pioneer that came stock to rip and encode movies in handbreak, while my second drd drive bay ( hp ) burns in Popcorn. And i even have the stock 1GB.

Just my 2 centavos....

Rob

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
To answer the fellow question, i have tried burning 2 discs at once (1 using Toast the other using Disco) and it has performed FLAWLESSLY. Almost every day i use on the top Bay the Pioneer that came stock to rip and encode movies in handbreak, while my second drd drive bay ( hp ) burns in Popcorn. And i even have the stock 1GB.

Just my 2 centavos....

Rob

Yeah i knew it would run...it will just be slower. If you compare those times to the time to burn a single disk.

gojaromeiginla

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
Well, if you had to rip/burn two discs, it would take less time to rip/burn the at the same time rather than one after the other.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
The maximum amount of space you can have in your Mac is 3 TB. As far as I know, the hard drives show up separately. As far as the superdrives, you would have 2 drives to copy a DVD or CD without interfering with your hard drive.

Actually it is 4TBs. 4 x 1TB drives. In fact there is a tutorial floating around to get a fifth drive installed so you could have 5TBs.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Well, the standard maximum is 3 TB. You don't really need any more than that to be completely honest.

Depends what you do with your computer. And yes if you order from apple the max is 3 TB. But 4 TB is supported without mods apple just doesn't sell it.

gojaromeiginla

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
Depends what you do with your computer. And yes if you order from apple the max is 3 TB. But 4 TB is supported without mods apple just doesn't sell it.

Even if you do a lot with video, 4 TB won't really make much difference compared to 3 TB. It's still an insane amount of space. However, if you absolutely require 4 TB, by all means, go for it. Still, I'd say it's much easier to just order 3 TB from Mac.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
You've never worked on a full-length film. I watched about 35TB of raw film being cut up on a system at a friend's for a movie I was helping score...

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

You can still have AppleCare if you upgrade the RAM and hard drives yourself.

It just won't apply to any of the parts you have added, the Mac itself will be fully covered.

gojaromeiginla

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
Ordering HDDs and RAM from Apple is obnoxiously expensive. Never, never, never, never order hard drives or RAM from Apple unless absolutely necessary.

Oh, I think you misunderstood me. I meant you should probably order the 3 TB with the computer, so you'll have the 3 TB when you get it. That's probably the best route for most consumers.

gojaromeiginla

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
That's for people who do heavy duty video editing or something like that. But your average person who would need a Mac Pro won't need more than 3 TB, probably less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.