Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 13, 2007, 09:33 AM   #51
wmealer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr39 View Post
I noticed that some of you guys have HD rips? How are you ripping and converting from an HD-DVD/Blu-ray disk?
I for one have found a great source for downloading 720p (and even some 1080p) .mkv files of feature length films (only ones I own already of course). So, no ripping necessary on my end. Many people make these available on the internet (not the Web, mind you). There is a slight learning curve, but this method of internet file transfer pre-dates the World Wide Web by at least a decade or more. A little digging and I'm sure what yoU SeEk caN bE obTained.

Last edited by wmealer; Nov 13, 2007 at 09:45 AM.
wmealer is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:41 AM   #52
Rob1980
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Rob1980 Send a message via Skype™ to Rob1980
I know its not in the same league as the others on here but i am currently working on tagging everything. The biggest thing holding me back is the lack of hard drive space at the moment, can anyone recommend me an external hard drive around 500Gb and is it worth paying extra for a firewire connection or is USB going to be fine?
Cheers Rob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	1035
Size:	757.9 KB
ID:	91615   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	680
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	91616  
Rob1980 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 03:15 AM   #53
peeaanuut
Banned

Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
some people are firewire nutz but I find that USB2 is just fine. I have a 500gb MyBook essential edition and use it for all of the audio in iTunes. It works just fine. I also have a 250gb MyBook plugged in USB2 for my TV shows in iTunes and again have no speed problems. Never have any problems streaming to the aTV either. Some will tell you that you have to have FW800 or nothing else and that simply is just a BS.
peeaanuut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 05:53 AM   #54
Daz777777
macrumors newbie

Great thread guys, I've just updating my movies and it's 50 times better now!

Within movies I have about 30 adverts and about 50 personal short camera clips taken from holidays. Is there a way to move these into a separate list so they no longer show in Movies or is it just purely the other 2 options of TV Show or Music Video?

What is the best method of ripping a TV Show DVD?

For example 1 disc has 8 episodes and I would like them appear individually rather than just 1 file under TV Shows in Itunes. Would I have to rip each episode individually?

Thanks

Darren

Last edited by Daz777777; Nov 18, 2007 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Additional Question
Daz777777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 08:57 AM   #55
jensepollense
macrumors regular

Is it possible to use a large external for movies and tv shows but keep all my music on my internal? When i open itunes would it still all be there at the same time or would i have to change settings each time i want to see a movie to get it off the external?
im not sure if this makes sense, hope someone understands..

thanks
jensepollense is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 09:49 AM   #56
imlucid
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensepollense View Post
Is it possible to use a large external for movies and tv shows but keep all my music on my internal? When i open itunes would it still all be there at the same time or would i have to change settings each time i want to see a movie to get it off the external?
im not sure if this makes sense, hope someone understands..

thanks
Sure,

If you hold down the option key while dragging in your movie, iTunes won't copy it internally but refer to the original location.

Kevin
-- My job IS my hobby
HT Equipment
imlucid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 01:39 PM   #57
Rob1980
macrumors member

HELP
I have been tagging with MetaX today and all has been ok apart from one. I tagged a 720P movie which i had already watched and when i added it to iTunes and try to play it back all i get is a black screen and a really loud buzzing sound.
Has any one else found this and got a fix for me? please!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 03:14 PM   #58
ironjaw
macrumors 6502

Here is my collection, I have used MetaX on some files before but have been a a bit cautious since I lost some films and also some of the weird itunes reactions to the films. Now I just use a Apple Script from Doug's Itunes Scripts for the Description
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	itunes.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	91646  

24" 2.8 GHz Aluminum iMac; 2x 1.6 GHz (SP)Powermac G5's, White Macbook, 1.8 C2D Mac Mini
ironjaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 09:44 PM   #59
xJus10x
macrumors regular

Ahh, I'm a little confused on the USENET thing... anyone wanna give me a clue on how to get HD movies. And also, what settings do you guys use to rip/convert? I want to start a movie collection so thanks for the help!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:14 PM   #60
Nightline
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJus10x View Post
Ahh, I'm a little confused on the USENET thing... anyone wanna give me a clue on how to get HD movies. And also, what settings do you guys use to rip/convert? I want to start a movie collection so thanks for the help!
I use HandBrake, and/or Visual Hub. I like them both, but Handbrake has presets for different devices. Most of the movies I convert are for Apple TV, so everything is always perfect.

VisualHub works very nicely too. I guess the only part I hate is that both programs decode the dvd at about 1.5X, so the time is just under the actual film length. I just put it in another space, and keep on doing what I want to do.
Verizon iPhone 4S / 32GB
Nightline is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 05:16 AM   #61
.mark.
macrumors 6502

can anyone give me some help converting mkv files to mp4 via visual hub - whats the best settings for keeping the conversion as close to the original as possible?
.mark. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 05:29 AM   #62
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
OP, billabong, can i just ask what bitrate youve encoded your movies at??
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 08:39 AM   #63
wmealer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mark. View Post
can anyone give me some help converting mkv files to mp4 via visual hub - whats the best settings for keeping the conversion as close to the original as possible?
The settings I use are... AppleTV, "Go Nuts"

Then under advanced, I constrain the file size to 4290 MB. This will yield a final size just under the magical 4 gigs, which keeps iTunes happy. Typical DVD rips never get that large (except for extra long movies like LOTR), but the hi-def mkvs look better for me when I make them as large as possible while still allowing tagging in iTunes (you can't add artwork to files larger than 4GB). Sometimes under audio, I specify a bitrate of 160, and manually choose "stereo," simply because those are the published limitations of tv.

If your main concern is picture quality, check the two-pass option. I never choose it, but keep in mind this obviously doubles the encode time.

Last edited by wmealer; Nov 19, 2007 at 08:46 AM.
wmealer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 01:49 PM   #64
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightline View Post
I use HandBrake, and/or Visual Hub. I like them both, but Handbrake has presets for different devices. Most of the movies I convert are for Apple TV, so everything is always perfect.

VisualHub works very nicely too. I guess the only part I hate is that both programs decode the dvd at about 1.5X, so the time is just under the actual film length. I just put it in another space, and keep on doing what I want to do.
Get an external firewire DVD drive. It goes much faster than most internal drives. Decoding (not compressing) full disk generally takes no longer than 10 minutes.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 02:36 PM   #65
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
Get an external firewire DVD drive. It goes much faster than most internal drives. Decoding (not compressing) full disk generally takes no longer than 10 minutes.
visual hub can do that??

or are u talking MTR3?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 02:59 PM   #66
NightStorm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
visual hub can do that??

or are u talking MTR3?
I believe he is simply stating that using an external DVD drive will result in a much faster copy to the hard drive. It won't speed up the actual encode.
NightStorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 03:10 PM   #67
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStorm View Post
I believe he is simply stating that using an external DVD drive will result in a much faster copy to the hard drive. It won't speed up the actual encode.
yea he said decoding. which i presume means taking away the ACCROSS encodings and what not and copying it to a storage device.(i think)
Old Nov 19, 2007, 04:24 PM   #68
Rivix
macrumors 6502a

I have none. I also live in Canada. I should start to rip some.
Rivix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 03:07 PM   #69
Peter Kim
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Kim
I actually don't have an appletv, I use my MacMini hooked up to my 50" plasma running Leopard's Front Row. I hate how I have to convert my movies to mp4 in order to be used in iTunes, and I refuse to do it except for my iPhone movie files. I'm a stickler for video quality and don't want to compress something that was already compressed. I basically have all my movies on an external drive and have folders called "Movies", "TV Shows", "Music Videos", and "Other". I put aliases for these in my home "movies" folder and access it through Front Row or just through the Finder, which i end up doing 90% of the time.

For the finder I set it up in icon view with a black background. Then I find the artwork online and convert it to an icon, then apply it to the movie file. It's not quite as slick as a remote interface but I use my macmini for web/photo browsing all the time anyway, not a big deal with a wireless keyboard and mouse. It's also nice to just see all your movies all at once, and looks pretty impressive. The other thing is that Quicktime with Perian installed doesn't work smoothly with MKV files, I need to open them with VLC.

EDIT: just wanted to add that another advantage to having the macmini is that I use it as a main media basestation and for torrent downloads. My other computer is a MacBook so it's nice to have a dedicated machine for downloads and one iTunes library that is always on and that I can access at any time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pk_desktop.jpg
Views:	1469
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	91843  
MacMini 2GHZ CD 2GB RAM 80GB
iPhone 3G 16GB
Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ 4TB

Last edited by Peter Kim; Nov 20, 2007 at 03:59 PM.
Peter Kim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 03:50 PM   #70
Rob1980
macrumors member

Talking

Hi all
Although i have lost a file with MetaX i am quite happy with what the app can do and would reccommend it i will post some pics with all my stuff now tagged in a couple of days.

Just a quick question as well if i may just got Matrix in 720P but it has subtitles is there any way to remove them from the MP4 file?
Cheers Rob
Old Nov 20, 2007, 05:04 PM   #71
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1980 View Post
Hi all
Although i have lost a file with MetaX i am quite happy with what the app can do and would reccommend it i will post some pics with all my stuff now tagged in a couple of days.

Just a quick question as well if i may just got Matrix in 720P but it has subtitles is there any way to remove them from the MP4 file?
Cheers Rob
try seeing if the file is in quicktime, wen u open the movie just go to "window">"show movie propterties" and see if its in there
Old Nov 20, 2007, 05:15 PM   #72
Rob1980
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
try seeing if the file is in quicktime, wen u open the movie just go to "window">"show movie propterties" and see if its in there
Thanks for the tip i had a quick look and could not see anything obvious in movie properties. Really bugging me now lol
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:01 PM   #73
ntrigue
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
What an incredible "labor of love" catalogs you guys have!

Last edited by ntrigue; Nov 21, 2007 at 01:23 AM.
ntrigue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:35 PM   #74
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1980 View Post
Thanks for the tip i had a quick look and could not see anything obvious in movie properties. Really bugging me now lol
oh ok. for subtitles there would normally be 3 types of files, one audio, one movie and then the subtiles.

if thers only 2 then id say that the subtitles ahve been integrated into the movie.. would be extremely hard if not imopssible to get rid of them then
Old Nov 21, 2007, 08:12 AM   #75
rockosmodurnlif
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to rockosmodurnlif Send a message via Yahoo to rockosmodurnlif
Quote:
Originally Posted by imlucid View Post
Sure,

If you hold down the option key while dragging in your movie, iTunes won't copy it internally but refer to the original location.

Kevin
Now this is bloody useful.
☐ Word wrap in Reminders for Mac OS X
rockosmodurnlif is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater