Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 21, 2007, 09:59 AM   #76
peeaanuut
Banned

Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockosmodurnlif View Post
Now this is bloody useful.

Your telling us. I had no idea about that until recently and its great. I put my music on one drive, tv shows on another and now I began ripping some of my older DVDs (where quality wasnt the greatest and the lack of 5.1 doesnt take away from the movie itself) on another drive.
peeaanuut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:06 AM   #77
spank2223
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockosmodurnlif View Post
Now this is bloody useful.
Does that also go for music as well?
spank2223 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:21 AM   #78
imlucid
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank2223 View Post
Does that also go for music as well?
Yep, anything you drag in. Basically you can set the default behavior in the preferences and holding down the option key will do the opposite (i.e. if you switch the default behavior to not copy items in but create an alias, holding down the option key will do the copy).

Kevin
-- My job IS my hobby
HT Equipment
imlucid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 05:28 PM   #79
Tafnerd
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kim View Post
I actually don't have an appletv, I use my MacMini hooked up to my 50" plasma running Leopard's Front Row. I hate how I have to convert my movies to mp4 in order to be used in iTunes, and I refuse to do it except for my iPhone movie files. I'm a stickler for video quality and don't want to compress something that was already compressed. I basically have all my movies on an external drive and have folders called "Movies", "TV Shows", "Music Videos", and "Other". I put aliases for these in my home "movies" folder and access it through Front Row or just through the Finder, which i end up doing 90% of the time.

For the finder I set it up in icon view with a black background. Then I find the artwork online and convert it to an icon, then apply it to the movie file. It's not quite as slick as a remote interface but I use my macmini for web/photo browsing all the time anyway, not a big deal with a wireless keyboard and mouse. It's also nice to just see all your movies all at once, and looks pretty impressive. The other thing is that Quicktime with Perian installed doesn't work smoothly with MKV files, I need to open them with VLC.

EDIT: just wanted to add that another advantage to having the macmini is that I use it as a main media basestation and for torrent downloads. My other computer is a MacBook so it's nice to have a dedicated machine for downloads and one iTunes library that is always on and that I can access at any time.
Hi Peter that's an interesting solution. How do you launch from the finder screenshot that you shared? I'm assuming the "movie files" you're applying the artwork to are VIDEO_TS files? Thanks!
Tafnerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 11:17 PM   #80
cowm007
macrumors regular

As much as I'd love to jump into the HD bandwagon, I've got my poor iPhone to think about. I must say some of those collections look impressive though. Here's some pics of mine. I don't like to have multiple files so I have one rip for all my devices. The files play perfectly on any of our iPods/iPhones, the AppleTV, and the computers. The screenshot clipped off the database size for the TV shows. I've got 560 episodes. Mostly Curb your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tvShows.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	91959   Click image for larger version

Name:	movies1.jpg
Views:	966
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	91960   Click image for larger version

Name:	movies2.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	541.7 KB
ID:	91961  

cowm007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 02:14 AM   #81
miTunes75
macrumors 6502

A little off-topic

Hey there:

I'm considering purchasing an atv soon. But, here's a question. I just bought Hairspray today and I can't get it to copy onto my HDD from mactheripper OR handbrake. ImPOSSible. I also have Star Wars III that I have difficulty with also.

So, is it possible....to rip the dvds on a PC...then converting to appletv format through handbrake? Has anyone done this?
miTunes75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 06:01 AM   #82
krissvl
macrumors member

TV folder

Hi i dont own appleTV but use front Row 2.0 i have too much media to put it all in Itunes. does anyone know if you can place a allias folder from an external harddrive in the TV folder on itunes so that Front Row see's it in the Front Row TV folder rather than the standard front row movie folder?
krissvl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:30 AM   #83
miTunes75
macrumors 6502

I believe you can. Give it a try and let us know how it works :-)
miTunes75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 03:51 PM   #84
Superman07
macrumors 6502a

Is there any way to have the ATV work without having a native computer with iTunes running? Minus syncing that is.
Superman07 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 04:10 PM   #85
Rob1980
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Rob1980 Send a message via Skype™ to Rob1980
Hi
Anyone know where to get some of the cool artwork for the TV shows i have seen in this thread?
Rob1980 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 04:36 PM   #86
je1ani
Banned

mine sucks.. but i just started
je1ani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 04:49 AM   #87
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by je1ani View Post
mine sucks.. but i just started
Thumb resize.
atreyu ROCKS!!!!
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 09:19 AM   #88
peeaanuut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1980 View Post
Hi
Anyone know where to get some of the cool artwork for the TV shows i have seen in this thread?
There are a copule different places I get mine. You can use the DVD box cover if that particular season is on DVD. I also use wikipedia alot as people tend to upload the title screen and those look pretty cool sometimes. Otherwise I just do a google image search and use the best looking one that comes up. My method doesnt guarantee you the official logo/art of the show, but they do look good.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 01:35 PM   #89
Croatian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmealer View Post
I for one have found a great source for downloading 720p (and even some 1080p) .mkv files of feature length films (only ones I own already of course). So, no ripping necessary on my end. Many people make these available on the internet (not the Web, mind you). There is a slight learning curve, but this method of internet file transfer pre-dates the World Wide Web by at least a decade or more. A little digging and I'm sure what yoU SeEk caN bE obTained.

Say u download a file online somewhere, example torrent or what not, when it is 720p, how long does it take u to convert it to apple tv format to be playable on it or u don't have to convert it, you can just play it in the format that it comes in, i don't understand the format that the HD Movies or Shows are in and how that works for Apple TV
Croatian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 02:04 PM   #90
billabong
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hi
If the show is in iTunes, get it from there...

Here is how.

1. Browse in iTunes to the desired show and RIGHT-CLICK copy iTunes URL
(http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...99752&s=143441) looks like that
2. Go to this site here http://tpemble.urfbownd.net/itunes/itunes-art.php
3. Paste your iTunes URL in there and click SUBMIT
4. your get a link like this http://a1.phobos.apple.com/r10/Featu...170x170-75.jpg
5. Delete the 170x170-75. part of it
and you get this
billabong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 02:39 PM   #91
Vanilla
macrumors 6502a

For the guys who use the AppleTV preset in Handbrake - assuming you have an iPod/iPhone/Touch - do you have duplicates using the iPod High-Res preset as well? If so, how do you distinguish them in iTunes?
Vanilla
Vanilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:55 AM   #92
fkntotalkaos
macrumors 6502

exactly what i want

Quote:
Originally Posted by billabong View Post
These aren't from DVD rips they are 720P HD from a Bluray or HD-DVD rip converted to AppleTV format with Visual Hub... The quality is amazing, better than HD channels on TV...
What format are the Apple TV movies in, .avi, mp4, mv4? I have a lot of low res movies but want to upgrade to 720p format with ac3
fkntotalkaos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:07 AM   #93
samuraikiss
macrumors regular

Just downloaded MetaX and used for my vast movie collection, as is visible below. [wink]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iTunes Movies.png
Views:	559
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	92241  
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:56 AM   #94
dugs022
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hi
I use http://impawards.com/. They have almost everything.
dugs022 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:11 PM   #95
xJus10x
macrumors regular

Hows is the quality of your guys videos. The only thing stopping me from doing this is idk how good they'll look on my HD tv. Thanks
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:50 AM   #96
pavloskgr
macrumors member

I love coverflow and my Apple TV

I like my itunes library and my apple tv, at least it works great for me!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	467
Size:	568.2 KB
ID:	92382  
pavloskgr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 01:46 PM   #97
ntrigue
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
Quote:
Originally Posted by billabong View Post
If the show is in iTunes, get it from there...

Here is how.
So utilizing that site and another that I found results in a MUCH smaller image. 170x170 is this the results of the site getting 'caught'?
ntrigue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 09:14 PM   #98
acidzerocool
macrumors newbie

Man i wish there was a MetaX version for Windows based
acidzerocool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:49 PM   #99
peeaanuut
Banned

is there something like metax but for TV shows? I want to add the description and show names to each of the TV shows I have but without having to do them individually. Anything like that out there or am I missing something in metax?
Old Nov 27, 2007, 06:34 AM   #100
MikieMikie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by miTunes75 View Post
Hey there:

I'm considering purchasing an atv soon. But, here's a question. I just bought Hairspray today and I can't get it to copy onto my HDD from mactheripper OR handbrake. ImPOSSible. I also have Star Wars III that I have difficulty with also.

So, is it possible....to rip the dvds on a PC...then converting to appletv format through handbrake? Has anyone done this?
I have had no problem ripping my copy of Star Wars III. (Don't own Hairspray.)

I find the dvd MUST be clean. Some rips fail with MTR 3 R14 but succeed with the previous version. V 3.0 R14 has problems ripping "feature only." Try ripping the whole dvd, then let Handbrake figure out what to encode.

I have yet to find a DVD that one of the two, most-recent, versions of MTR couldn't handle. Including Ratatouille.

-- Mikie
MikieMikie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater