Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 27, 2007, 07:37 AM   #101
netdog
macrumors 603
 
netdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: London
I can't help but notice that everyone's porn seems to be stashed out of site for these screenshots.
__________________
We don't see the world as it is. We see it as we are. -Anais Nin
Classical Homeopath and Naturopathic Doctor in London
netdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 07:42 AM   #102
MikieMikie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newton, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
For the guys who use the AppleTV preset in Handbrake - assuming you have an iPod/iPhone/Touch - do you have duplicates using the iPod High-Res preset as well? If so, how do you distinguish them in iTunes?
Vanilla
I have 2 versions. I typically precede the iPhone versions with "Z_" so they get sorted to the end of the list and stay out the main sort. You could also change the Sort tag in the get info dialog in itunes (or metax) and have them sort to the start or end.

It's easy to tell the physical files apart both by size (GB) and by the information dialog box. The smaller sized one... you get it.

I keep all film & tv on an external HDD, with 3 folders: films, iPhone, and tv.

I don't add the films to iTunes -- just the "alias" using the option-drag & drop outlined above.

-- Mikie
MikieMikie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 09:10 AM   #103
NightStorm
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Whitehouse, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
For the guys who use the AppleTV preset in Handbrake - assuming you have an iPod/iPhone/Touch - do you have duplicates using the iPod High-Res preset as well? If so, how do you distinguish them in iTunes?
Vanilla
This is the major reason why I think Apple needs to ditch iTunes and create a new media-centric file management system. iTunes works for music, it doesn't work for video (especially when they are forcing users to have multiple versions of the same video for compatibility between devices). It drives me crazy to see duplicate entries in the movie list.

That said, I have taken to appending the title with [HD] for HD conversions, or [IP] for iPhone conversions. DVD conversions are not marked. I then use the sorting name field to nest the different versions underneath the main one. I'm at work now, but I'll post a screenshot if I remember tonight.

Example (kinda bad example, if I have the HD version, I do not also convert the DVD):
The Bourne Identity
[HD] The Bourne Identity
[IP] The Bourne Identity
NightStorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 05:14 PM   #104
ironjaw
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cold Copenhagen
Just want to educate everyone that 9covers.com is a great source for HD covers for blu-ray and HDDVD
__________________
What we do in life echoes in eternity.

24" 2.8 GHz Aluminum iMac; 2x 1.6 GHz (SP)Powermac G5's, White Macbook, 1.8 C2D Mac Mini
ironjaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:33 PM   #105
peeaanuut
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southern California
Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
my main question is, do people really watch movies on their iPod?
peeaanuut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:43 PM   #106
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeaanuut View Post
my main question is, do people really watch movies on their iPod?
yup i do all the time.

not just movies, but tv episodes. it helps to waste time on the bus or something. i only rip my movies at 256kbps, or 512kbps. to save space. i dont need the quality on such a small screen
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 08:47 PM   #107
peeaanuut
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Southern California
Send a message via AIM to peeaanuut
I guess I always forget about people that commute on a train or the bus. I rarely am ever somewhere that I could sit and watch video on the iPod itself. I load it up with TV shows to watch while at work, but i watch them through iTunes on the computer screen or I watch them at home on the aTV. But I also rarely plug a set of headphones into my iPod either so I guess I am not the typical user.
peeaanuut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 11:55 PM   #108
AliensAreFuzzy
macrumors 68000
 
AliensAreFuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Send a message via AIM to AliensAreFuzzy
I haven't gotten around to working on my movies yet. However, I am absolutely anal when it comes to my TV shows. I rip them myself from DVDs with carefully configured Handbrake settings. I then spend a ton of time tagging them and adding album art. Even the finder folders are all fancified.
Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.
AliensAreFuzzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:15 AM   #109
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliensAreFuzzy View Post
I haven't gotten around to working on my movies yet. However, I am absolutely anal when it comes to my TV shows. I rip them myself from DVDs with carefully configured Handbrake settings. I then spend a ton of time tagging them and adding album art. Even the finder folders are all fancified.
Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.
wooooooooooow.
i also have all the futurama episodes but i havent tagged them like u have.
how i would love those stargate episodes tho hahaha. quite a collection i am quite jealous
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:56 AM   #110
AliensAreFuzzy
macrumors 68000
 
AliensAreFuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Send a message via AIM to AliensAreFuzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
wooooooooooow.
i also have all the futurama episodes but i havent tagged them like u have.
how i would love those stargate episodes tho hahaha. quite a collection i am quite jealous
The thing is that I am still in the process of ripping more TV shows. All in all, I have 2 or 3 times what I have in there right now. It just takes soooo long to encode everything. The great part about these though is that they not only look good on my computer and larger monitors and TVs, but also work on iPods.
AliensAreFuzzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:57 AM   #111
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliensAreFuzzy View Post
The thing is that I am still in the process of ripping more TV shows. All in all, I have 2 or 3 times what I have in there right now. It just takes soooo long to encode everything. The great part about these though is that they not only look good on my computer and larger monitors and TVs, but also work on iPods.
oh really?? care to share what kind of quality, codec you are ripping in?
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 01:08 AM   #112
AliensAreFuzzy
macrumors 68000
 
AliensAreFuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Send a message via AIM to AliensAreFuzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
oh really?? care to share what kind of quality, codec you are ripping in?
My friend and I have spent a very long time experimenting with different settings in Handbrake to determine what we consider the best possible format (for our uses at least). We wanted a single video file that would both work on iPods, look good on larger screens (we've tried up to 50" plasma and 113" projector), and a fairly small file size. Using these parameters and a lot of small test videos, I have come up with presets that work extremely well.

Keep in mind, I work mainly with TV shows, but the widescreen settings should work fine for movies.

For widescreen live-action TV shows:
x264 (h.264 iPod) encoder
Average bitrate: 1500
2-pass encoding with Turbo first pass
Output size: 640 width
Deinterlace: Slow
Detelecine: Yes, if applicable (I have found it eliminates choppy playback on Scrubs and Friends)
Advanced Settings (all but the following set to default):
Motion Estimation Method: Uneven Multi-Hexagon

For 4:3 live-action TV shows:
Same as above, but frame size can be left at full 640x480

For animated TV shows:
Same as live-action, but Denoise can be set up to medium (This helps to eliminate some macroblocking)

These settings work extremely well for all of the uses I've tried. The resulting files are around 250MB for 1/2hr TV shows, 500MB for 1hr TV shows. Like I said before, I've watched them before on very large screens and they look pretty good, and I routinely watch them on my 20" monitor and they look just as good as DVDs played with DVD Player.
AliensAreFuzzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 01:15 AM   #113
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliensAreFuzzy View Post
My friend and I have spent a very long time experimenting with different settings in Handbrake to determine what we consider the best possible format (for our uses at least). We wanted a single video file that would both work on iPods, look good on larger screens (we've tried up to 50" plasma and 113" projector), and a fairly small file size. Using these parameters and a lot of small test videos, I have come up with presets that work extremely well.

Keep in mind, I work mainly with TV shows, but the widescreen settings should work fine for movies.

For widescreen live-action TV shows:
x264 (h.264 iPod) encoder
Average bitrate: 1500
2-pass encoding with Turbo first pass
Output size: 640 width
Deinterlace: Slow
Detelecine: Yes, if applicable (I have found it eliminates choppy playback on Scrubs and Friends)
Advanced Settings (all but the following set to default):
Motion Estimation Method: Uneven Multi-Hexagon

For 4:3 live-action TV shows:
Same as above, but frame size can be left at full 640x480

For animated TV shows:
Same as live-action, but Denoise can be set up to medium (This helps to eliminate some macroblocking)

These settings work extremely well for all of the uses I've tried. The resulting files are around 250MB for 1/2hr TV shows, 500MB for 1hr TV shows. Like I said before, I've watched them before on very large screens and they look pretty good, and I routinely watch them on my 20" monitor and they look just as good as DVDs played with DVD Player.
ok wow thanks so much for that. i will be using them from now on

just a quick Q, what quality and format to you encode your audio at???

DoFoT9
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 01:18 AM   #114
AliensAreFuzzy
macrumors 68000
 
AliensAreFuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Send a message via AIM to AliensAreFuzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
ok wow thanks so much for that. i will be using them from now on

just a quick Q, what quality and format to you encode your audio at???

DoFoT9
Well, if it's available I use the 5.1 surround. But otherwise I find that the standard 128 kbps AAC sounds just great.
AliensAreFuzzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 01:20 AM   #115
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliensAreFuzzy View Post
Well, if it's available I use the 5.1 surround. But otherwise I find that the standard 128 kbps AAC sounds just great.
aaahhh ok thanking you so much.

i dont have 5.1 surround probably best to encode it like that but.

thanks again

DoFoT9
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 01:23 AM   #116
AliensAreFuzzy
macrumors 68000
 
AliensAreFuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Send a message via AIM to AliensAreFuzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
aaahhh ok thanking you so much.

i dont have 5.1 surround probably best to encode it like that but.

thanks again

DoFoT9
I don't have 5.1 surround either. But I'm future proofing in case I do get a 5.1 surround system.
AliensAreFuzzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 01:24 AM   #117
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliensAreFuzzy View Post
I don't have 5.1 surround either. But I'm future proofing in case I do get a 5.1 surround system.
great idea lol i shall keep that in mind

terima kasih
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 03:45 AM   #118
bmb012
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
So then what are you using for the 5.1 surround? uncompress PCM rips? (is handbrake doing that yet?) Or is the appleTV converting aac to dolby?

That's really the one thing stopping me from really caring about ripping all my dvds...
bmb012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 03:52 AM   #119
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb012 View Post
So then what are you using for the 5.1 surround? uncompress PCM rips? (is handbrake doing that yet?) Or is the appleTV converting aac to dolby?

That's really the one thing stopping me from really caring about ripping all my dvds...
i am pretty sure handbrake does 5.1. not completely sure tho.

just a question.. why do people transport the dvd's to digital when the dvd will always be better quality? i mean its not exactly that hard to put the dvd into the dvd player and watch it, is it???
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 05:38 AM   #120
nicoska
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliensAreFuzzy View Post
I haven't gotten around to working on my movies yet. However, I am absolutely anal when it comes to my TV shows. I rip them myself from DVDs with carefully configured Handbrake settings. I then spend a ton of time tagging them and adding album art. Even the finder folders are all fancified.
Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.
Wow! Awesome!
Where did you find the Tv show's covers ? It seems like iTunes Store cover.
Very beautiful
bye

Nico
nicoska is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:44 AM   #121
AliensAreFuzzy
macrumors 68000
 
AliensAreFuzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Madison, WI
Send a message via AIM to AliensAreFuzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoska View Post
Wow! Awesome!
Where did you find the Tv show's covers ? It seems like iTunes Store cover.
Very beautiful
bye

Nico
Most of those are actually from iTunes. The iTunes artwork grabber website doesn't work for music anymore, but I found TV shows and movies still work. http://www.thejosher.net/iTunes/methodtwo.php
AliensAreFuzzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:10 AM   #122
nicoska
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliensAreFuzzy View Post
Most of those are actually from iTunes. The iTunes artwork grabber website doesn't work for music anymore, but I found TV shows and movies still work. http://www.thejosher.net/iTunes/methodtwo.php
thanks a lot. It works like a charms.
Bye

Nico
nicoska is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:12 PM   #123
NightStorm
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Whitehouse, OH
After thinking about this more, I've decided that I'm not going to import my iPhone encodes into iTunes unless I specifically need them. It was driving me crazy seeing the same title multiple times in the library/AppleTV interface. So, my procedure will now be:
1.) Encode for AppleTV + iPhone (seperate files)
2.) Tag and import AppleTV encode to iTunes
3.) Tag and move iPhone encode to storage directory
4.) When I want a video on my iPhone, import only that file and sync it to iPhone
5.) When done with video, remove iPhone file from library.

I really wish I didn't have to do it this way, but it seems to be the only solution at the moment.
NightStorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 01:22 PM   #124
Philpo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Information 'i' after descriptions

Hey guys,

I've been organising my iTunes library for movies for ages and been using MetaX for my tags but haven't been able to get the 'i' at the end of the description....Why is this??? I get it for podcasts and other things that i download but not for movies when I 'manually' put in the description.

Generally my desciptions are quite short but I don't think this is it. Can anyone help? I see you all with you lovely truncated description boxes with the ability to pop it open and I want that

Cheers guys & gals
Philpo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 01:50 PM   #125
Raid
macrumors 68020
 
Raid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
just a question.. why do people transport the dvd's to digital when the dvd will always be better quality? i mean its not exactly that hard to put the dvd into the dvd player and watch it, is it???
Well if they are like me I dream of the day I can move my DVD collection to my storage locker and clear up some clutter in my condo... every square foot counts! Also I need a better excuse to eventually buy a mac mini / tv
__________________
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton
Raid is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Staying organized in Lightroom stockcerts Digital Photography 4 Dec 10, 2013 04:07 PM
How organized are your pdf files radek42 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 38 Aug 18, 2013 01:16 PM
TV series not organized in Apple TV but organized in Itunes JoeBlow74 Apple TV and Home Theater 4 Nov 29, 2012 06:40 PM
Organized student life? Kaelbron Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Sep 1, 2012 04:18 AM
Help! I need to get organized (and Im crap at it) yoak Apple TV and Home Theater 6 Aug 22, 2012 08:15 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC