Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Nov 9, 2007, 04:45 PM   #1
KYBOSH
macrumors member

How to Uninstall 2GB worth of language files

When clean installing Leopard you have option to customize your install to include or omit over 2GB worth of language support.

If I installed it but now rather have my 2GB back (since I wont be computing in Russian anytime in the near future) how can I do this?

I really don't want to reinstall Leopard to accomplish this and there should be a way to do this easily.

TIA
KYBOSH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 04:47 PM   #2
R.Youden
macrumors 68020

You can use a great little app called monoligual or XSlimmer.
R.Youden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Mindflux
Banned

delocalizer or monolingual.

if you use mono, make sure you DO NOT remove any of the architecture files (uncheck them ALL).
Mindflux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 05:15 PM   #4
KYBOSH
macrumors member

That XSlimmer seems to be just what the doctor ordered!
I didnt know you could strip a program of unwanted/unneeded code?!
Old Nov 9, 2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Virgil-TB2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBOSH View Post
When clean installing Leopard you have option to customize your install to include or omit over 2GB worth of language support.

If I installed it but now rather have my 2GB back (since I wont be computing in Russian anytime in the near future) how can I do this?

I really don't want to reinstall Leopard to accomplish this and there should be a way to do this easily.

TIA
What is 2 Gigs worth of stuff on the average HD today? Hardly a fart really.
If you need 2 Gigs that badly, you probably need a new computer.

The only really annoying thing about the localisation files IMO is the cluttering of the font menu with dozens and dozens of fonts that you will never use and all look similar to the ones you will use. Those are easy to get rid of though. The part of localisation that controls the multi-lingual support on the other hand is hidden deep in the system and never bothers anyone other than using a bit of space.
Virgil-TB2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 05:25 PM   #6
PatrickC
macrumors member

Be sure to back up everything first...I used monolingual with Leopard and I was doing a clean install the next day when it wouldn't start up. Tread cautiously...
PatrickC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 05:35 PM   #7
KYBOSH
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post
What is 2 Gigs worth of stuff on the average HD today? Hardly a fart really.
If you need 2 Gigs that badly, you probably need a new computer.
I have a 250GB internal HD and a 500GB External one.
I bought the EX when the IN started to get crowded.
Only 20gb is used on the internal and the external is less than half full.

2gb is a lot to me.... Especially if it being used for rubbish.
And if a program like XSlimmer can get my program files down to 70% of what it normally is (unneeded languages, codes and fonts).... I might not have to have had to spend the $$$ on the external drive in the first place.

And my computer is new (refurbished actually).
Old Nov 9, 2007, 05:54 PM   #8
dacreativeguy
macrumors 68000

Clone your system to an external HD. Erase and install leopard with the custom options you want. Migration assistant to transfer files and apps from the external HD clone. All better. And you know what, 2GB actually IS a lot of space.
dacreativeguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 07:22 PM   #9
Mindflux
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC View Post
Be sure to back up everything first...I used monolingual with Leopard and I was doing a clean install the next day when it wouldn't start up. Tread cautiously...

I bet you removed the architecture files (architecture tab), didn't you.
Mindflux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 08:22 PM   #10
xenotaku
macrumors regular

i ran delocalizer a few days ago and shed nearly 3 gigs.
xenotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 09:34 PM   #11
KYBOSH
macrumors member

Damn you guys are good!

I ran Xslimmer and cleared 1.93GB from 93 app and another 2gb using DeLocalizer.

Thanks a lot

Last edited by KYBOSH; Nov 9, 2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2007, 09:35 PM   #12
PatrickC
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
I bet you removed the architecture files (architecture tab), didn't you.
Actually no, I made sure that none of those boxes were checked. Something still got screwed up by removing the languages.
PatrickC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 09:37 PM   #13
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

I just reinstalled leopard... lets you get rid of a few gigs of printer drivers, too.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:14 PM   #14
cshuman
macrumors newbie

Don't Use Monolingual

I know this is an old thread, but I just used Monolingual last night and had to do a clean install. It is NOT a safe application. I did not heed the above warnings. Don't make the same mistake I did.

I double and triple checked my settings and selected only to keep English. Started Chrome before the process was complete only to find English had been removed.
cshuman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:22 PM   #15
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuman View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I just used Monolingual last night and had to do a clean install. It is NOT a safe application. I did not heed the above warnings. Don't make the same mistake I did.

I double and triple checked my settings and selected only to keep English. Started Chrome before the process was complete only to find English had been removed.
Monolingual is safe to use IF you pay attention to what you're doing, as you should with any such app. You should also make a current backup before attempting to use any such app. You should check the items you want to remove, not the ones you want to keep.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenCap 2013-02-01 at Fri, Feb 1,4.20.50 PM .PNG
Views:	10
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	393973
Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:16 AM   #16
suelay
macrumors newbie

Removing Architecture files

So let me get this right - people are finding that it isn't even safe to remove PowerPC files if they are on Intel??
suelay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:27 AM   #17
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by suelay View Post
So let me get this right - people are finding that it isn't even safe to remove PowerPC files if they are on Intel??
Yes, it is safe. Just pay attention to what you're removing.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:25 PM   #18
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Disk storage is cheap. Hacking (in the butchery sense) your files up just to squeeze a couple of gigs more free space is not worth the inevitable aggravation.

Am I ever going to use those Chinese resource files on my computer? No.
Does it matter if they stay there? No.
Might it matter if they are removed? Yes.

With Code-signing of apps, invasive alteration to package contents may cause an app to stop working.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:29 PM   #19
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
Disk storage is cheap. Hacking (in the butchery sense) your files up just to squeeze a couple of gigs more free space is not worth the inevitable aggravation.

Am I ever going to use those Chinese resource files on my computer? No.
Does it matter if they stay there? No.
Might it matter if they are removed? Yes.

With Code-signing of apps, invasive alteration to package contents may cause an app to stop working.
It is important for those who want to maximize their internal storage space to avoid having to carry an external drive, especially those with MBA or MBPr models. It's not a problem at all if unused architectures are removed. As far as languages, there have been a few instances where an app didn't perform as expected if a certain non-English language was removed, but such cases are extremely rare and none involved removing the Chinese language. If you run a backup before using Monolingual (as you should before performing any such operation), it's perfectly safe.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X