Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vm7118

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
NJ, USA
i've upgraded to leopard, but i lost my original tiger install dvd's with ilife on them. i cloned a copy of my tiger installation for the sole purpose of moving my apps over to leopard, but i got excited after installation and manually input all my settings and installed the programs fresh.

i realized, however, that now there's no way of me getting back my ilife without transferring ALL the applications from my tiger installation, which i'd rather not do to this software work of art i have amalgamated :p

so my question is... can migration assistant move a single application? i've never used it before (mac noob) and i went as far as the customization section, but as far as i can see without actually clicking "transfer" it only lets me choose applications as a category, which i take to mean moving over ALL the old apps.

if i move them, are they automatically installed? or just sitting there ready for me to put them in the right place. if i go through with it, will i have good results using cleanapp to get rid of everything but ilife? thanks in advance.

vm7118

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
NJ, USA
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1872713

would that link be how i go about doing it? basically it says to start the old mac in target disk mode (can i mount a cloned tiger installation like this?) then to copy the following folders over:

\Home\Library\ApplicationName .... which im assuming is iLife
\Home\Library\ApplicationSupport\ApplicationName .... iLife again for me

\Home\Library\Preferences (if needed)

if that's all i need to copy, then i am amazed. it would be almost literally impossible to copy an intricate installed program like iLife from one PC to another in windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.