Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iscripter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Replug the break away audio plug

This is a pretty cool device that reminds me of the innovative Apple MagSafe power connection on the new MacBooks and MacBook Pro's. But instead of being for the power connector it is used for the headphone audio connector for any device with a standard 3.5 mm headphone plug. Unlike the Apple MagSafe connector the Replug does not use a magnet to maintain it's connection. The Replug device is comprised of a metal tip and plastic body. When to much force is applied the body separates from the tip, preventing damage being from being done to your portable audio device. The Replug is one of those simple ideas that makes you say why didn't I think of that.

Pros: The audio quality is not affected by using the Replug device even though you have another connection in between your headphones and the 3.5 mm plug. The connection between the plastic body and the metal tip are very tight, so you don't get that annoying sound of the audio cutting in and out from a loose connection. And it is very easy to use.

Cons: The Replug unfortunately does not work with the iPhone because of it's recessed headphone jack. When I first saw the device I thought to my self this would be the perfect accessory for my iPhone. But hopefully they will see the need for this and come out with a iPhone compatible Replug. Also the Replug does not work with the iPhone headphones even though the iPhone headphones work in any standard 3.5 mm headphone jack.

We also talked about the Replug in our last podcast episode you can listen to it here.
http://media.blubrry.com/techcritiques/http://www.techcritiques.com/The_TechCritiques/Media/TechCritiques_Podcast_061.mp3

Attachments

• PB090012.jpg
    PB090012.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 44
  • PB090013.jpg
    PB090013.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 36
  • PB090014.jpg
    PB090014.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 36
  • PB090017.jpg
    PB090017.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 39
  • PB090018.jpg
    PB090018.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 40
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.