Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asdfTT123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
I just got a new SR Macbook two days ago and so far I think it's wonderful. I'm just curious as to how to care and prolong the lifetime of the battery. I typically keep my Macbook plugged in when I have access to an outlet but I occasionally allow the battery to discharge a bit when I don't have access to an outlet. I never really use the battery until it's almost completely out (or I haven't had to at least). Is it good to allow it to completely discharge and leave it disconnected from the outlet time after time? Thanks =]

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Good point, have a look at this article on Apple support
It even has a link to set a reminder on iCal!

Standard Maintenance

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her MacBook Pro on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.