Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xil3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
London
As the topic says... I am looking for the best mouse and keyboard (just bought a MBP)... and this is my first mac.

I am not even considering the mightymouse; Read too many horror reviews about the scroll ball getting too dirty and not working anymore.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I honestly think that the new al keyboard (wired) is the best keyboard for the mac out there...I also had a macally ikey5 which I liked quite a lot but the new apple keyboard just rocks.

as for a mouse: I generally like Logitech but be warned...the mac drivers are buggy. so if you decide to buy a logitech mouse consider buying usb overdrive or steermouse (both usb drivers).
I personally own the vx revolution and use it with steermouse and can't complain.

casperghst42

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
I use the "Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop for Mac", which I'm quite happy with... except that it comes from Microsoft:-(

Xil3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
London
I'm going to try and steer clear of the wireless mouse/keyboard since I've had lots of problems with them. About 70% of the wireless mice or keyboards I got were acting up and it really annoys the hell out of me since I like my mouse movement to be very precise...

duyvan82

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I have to say I'm very happy with the Wireless Mighty Mouse, I've had it for almost a year now and never had any problem with it. You've gotta make sure your hands ain't dirty before touching it, that will help prevent the ball from getting sticky.

I also own a Apple keyboard (not al) and also happy with it, although it is a pain in the arse to keep it clean as dust and all sort of crap always stick to it :/

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I use the "Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop for Mac", which I'm quite happy with... except that it comes from Microsoft:-(

I have heard only good things about the MS mice...
however, I just couldn't connect a MS mouse to my first mac:D
I will consider buying a MS mouse in the future though.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I have heard only good things about the MS mice...
however, I just couldn't connect a MS mouse to my first mac:D
I will consider buying a MS mouse in the future though.

I've always use MS Mice with my Macs, they are really good, IMO the Apple Keyboard is decent, but the mice are rubbish.

Though to be honest pretty much any USB Based PC Mouse/Keyboard will work with a Mac.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
The question should not be 'the right mouse for my mac' - but the right mouse for YOU.

The three parts of a computer I will not cut corners on. Mouse. Keyboard. Monitor. Everything else works for me to communicate thru those three elements.

Go to an IT store - feel the mice, try them, move them around, are they comfortable etc etc. Ditto the keyboard.

Doug

Agurri

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Québec, Canada
I'm currently using the white wired apple keyboard and I love it. I like the feel of the keys. As for the mouse, well, I have 2. I have a Logitech V270 bluetooth . This mouse is for the road, as it's always in my backpack. The other mouse is a generic Microsoft optical wired mouse. To be more specific, it's a "Wheel Mouse Optical USB and PS/2 Compatible". It's quite nice, since I've had it for more than 6 years. But, I'm looking forward to change it for a wired Mighty Mouse.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. :)

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Go for the Aluminum wired/wireless. Looks and feels awesome. My personal vote goes for the Logitech VX revolution...its the perfect size and feel for me!

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I want to throw my bluetooth mighty mouse out of the window. It sucks not being able to scroll...the mouse is not even a year old. Is it not under warranty? I ought to call Apple...

I don't like the MX Rev. I tried it and returned it for the MM.

I've never really fell in love yet with a mouse...still searching....

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
The new Apple BT keyboard is great. Small, light, and good key feel.

No problems at all with my original wired MM and the BT MM. I've had the scroll ball skip once or twice, but I just cleaned it and it's fine. It gets hours of daily use.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Certainly go with an Apple keyboard, they're real tough to beat.

Don't go by reports - try the Mighty Mouse yourself. It's a lot better than you might think, and certainly I've not had any problems at all with either the wireless or wired one (I use both at work).

However, if it doesn't suit you, then logitech is the way to go. Most of their models do not require extra drivers to work with the Mac (in fact I'd generally suggest that you don't install Logitech's drivers) and their mice are solid, well-built and reliable. The MX Revolution is a particular favourite of mine (I use one on my Mac at home).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
As the topic says... I am looking for the best mouse and keyboard (just bought a MBP)... and this is my first mac.

I am not even considering the mightymouse; Read too many horror reviews about the scroll ball getting too dirty and not working anymore.

And I heard too many horror stories who don't know how to do some basic maintenance. When the scroll ball stops working (about every six months in a decent clean environment), you take a damp cloth, rub that ball as hard as you can for two minutes, and that's it. The scroll ball works again, and it is good exercise.

dyson

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2007
Atlanta
I'm also a new mbp owner looking for the best keyboard / mouse.

I like ergo keyboards, and want bluetooth to avoid having to plug in a usb transceiver. It seem there are no bluetooth ergos. I'm tempted to wait for bluetooth 2.1 to get longer battery life, but I don't know if my (2 day old) laptop would support it anyhow.

A friend has a Microsoft Entertainment 7000, which is his favorite keyboard ever. Good: Short-thow laptop keys. Bad: no numeric keypad, touch-sensitive F-keys that are not actually keys. Windows key (command key) is in the middle of the palmrest, under the space bar! He got used to that position without complaining. Mouse: OK, but has barely perceptible lag (truly subtle, some will never notice). He like Logitech's MX mouse better. Mac support works as of October 2007, though not all 'entertainment keys' work yet. (iTunes 'play' works, but not pause, etc.) He does not have the keyboard's thumb-rocker-mouse working. It is a little ergo-curved, and is my current favorite. Note that the MS Ergo 7000, despite being a '7000 series' keyboard, is not bluetooth at all. $120 at amazon.

I have a MS 3000 (proprietary radio) wireless on my mini, and in addition to taking up a usb slot for the transceiver dongle, the keyboard signal strength is always poor - even from an unobstructed 6 inches away on the same desk surface. The mouse is fine.

Sannekita

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2007
Belgium
question: isn't the mighty mouse the only mouse that can scroll left-right?
that comes in really handy when doing final cut pro work..

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
question: isn't the mighty mouse the only mouse that can scroll left-right?
that comes in really handy when doing final cut pro work..

the vx revolution has a tilt function (where you can tilt the scroll wheel left and right) and you can set this to scroll left and right also.

cvahl

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
Boston
The Logitech V470 works really nice, and the color fits perfect to my Macbook. Furthermore, it does not block a USB port since it uses bluetooth, so you don't have to insert a receiver...

31wtkUHMxYL._AA280_.jpg

krafix

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
Montreal, Canada
Just got Appl Alu keyboard. Love it. Our other kboards feel like jurassic park. Mouse: got with Logitech MX Revolution. You'll never go back to any other mouse!!!

sarah3585

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
The Logitech V470 works really nice, and the color fits perfect to my Macbook. Furthermore, it does not block a USB port since it uses bluetooth, so you don't have to insert a receiver...

31wtkUHMxYL._AA280_.jpg

How does it size up against the VX?

highjumppudding

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2008
the apple keyboards are excellent. for a notebook the wireless keyboard from apple will be great. for mice, go with RAZER mice. they are awesome. their Pro|Solutions lineup is mac compatible. they have a bluetooth mac pro solutions razer mouse that works great. and a usb version that is even better if youre editing video or graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.