Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmbrown1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
The application OldFolder provides a hierarchal listing of folder contents to the Dock. Provides very similar (but not exact) behavior of folders in the Tiger dock.

Check it out at http://www.hawkwood.com/OldFolder1.0.0.zip

Also check out FinderPop (http://www.finderpop.com) for fast access to folders and their contents. Their is a beta version that works well with Leopard.

I'm not associated with either of these - just a satisfied user looking to pass on a couple of tips.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
old folder looks like a good idea but it only allows hierarchal view for one folder. also it isn't on the right hand side of the "abbey road" crosswalk and there are no icons in the hierarchal view. if they could fix this then it would fix stacks for a lot of people.

didnt really look at finderpop but it just looks like a finder launcher tool with folders.

dmbrown1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Comment on "Above" Post

old folder looks like a good idea but it only allows hierarchal view for one folder. also it isn't on the right hand side of the "abbey road" crosswalk and there are no icons in the hierarchal view. if they could fix this then it would fix stacks for a lot of people.

didnt really look at finderpop but it just looks like a finder launcher tool with folders.

You can run multiple copies of OldFolder, each for a different folder you want in the Dock. You are correct that it does not appear on the right hand side of the Dock (because it's an application.) I have two folders in the Dock this way; I put them right next to the Finder app. It's just fine. And, yes, there are no icons - granted it would be nice if there were. My point is that OldFolder provides the functionality of hierarchal folders in the Dock and is vastly superior to Stacks or doing without.

As for FinderPop, as you said you "didn't really look at it", so I'm wondering why the dismissive comment. I've used it for years. It has a lot of functionality and makes navigating around the file system quick and natural for me.

Radixx

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2007
Finderpop in Leopard?

I see mentioned here that there is a beta version of Finderpop that works in Leopard, but don't seem to see it on the download page. The only beta I see mentioned is an earlier release; am I missing something? So far Finderpop and the Dashquit widget are the only apps that I can't get to work properly in Leopard. Actually, Dashquit does indeed quit the dash. It just no longer displays the percentage of RAM in use any longer.

-Doug

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.