Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbotics

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Melbourne
Hi,
I have a problem with my tascam us-122 audio interface.

The problem is only the phantom light comes on when plugged in.

Also neither of the audio apps garageband logic etc reconise it.

So i opened up the tascam manager and it said device not avail.

Any help will be much appreciated.

THANKS
:apple:

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I am not too familiar with that guy anymore, but my first thought would be, have you recently upgraded to Leopard? If so you most likely need to download and install the drivers again.

Drumsynth

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
i have the same problem

...15 minutes later after i finished registering, yes i have the same problem with my US-122, the usb light doesnt turn on, but the phantom on/off light will, proving it has usb power, but the mac prefs and GB prefs dont recognize it being there for output or input, neither does the cd installed manager. the driver mac 3.2.3 or w.e installed fine from the cd, but from the website it is a .sit file that i cannot open. any help?a

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
...15 minutes later after i finished registering, yes i have the same problem with my US-122, the usb light doesnt turn on, but the phantom on/off light will, proving it has usb power, but the mac prefs and GB prefs dont recognize it being there for output or input, neither does the cd installed manager. the driver mac 3.2.3 or w.e installed fine from the cd, but from the website it is a .sit file that i cannot open. any help?a

get stuffit expander to open the .sit file

Drumsynth

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
well i found the right driver at tascam.com but now im coming to find that apparantly mac osx panther and leopard do not work with us-122. i have had the same answer from numerous sources online now.
seeing as i can see the audio levels bounce back and forth when i talk into the mic, but nothing ever records in garageband. my apple pref input and output have been changed, so has the BG output and input, no luck. sometimes it will record static though.

Togga

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
Tascam US122 & Leopard

Hey all,

Just bought a Macbook pro with Leopard OS. No new drivers available to suit Leopard. Have just spent 2 days bouncing between Tascam & Apple Distributors in Australia who simply blame each other and offer no solution - not even an interface device that is confirmed to work with Leopard! There are no new US 122 drivers for Leopard on the site and no-one can advise when & if they will be released from Tascam. Absolute frustration.

Togga

mannyavila

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2008
Tascam US-122 Detected but not working

Hi,

Just jumped on board with with a new iMac. For a week, my US-122 worked fine. For some reason now it connects to the iMac fine at startup (Green USB light on), and the us-122 software is detecting it's hooked up. I can not get any sound out of it. Itunes locks up when trying to play a file until I switch back to the internal speaker system within the iMac.

None of the audio software works until I switch back to internal speakers.

I've tried stripping out the tascam drivers (3.4.0) and reload them, no luck.

Does anybody have a idea on how to correct this?

Thank You
Manny

floyde

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2005
Monterrey, México
hi folks,
i had the same problems: no recognizing of the us-122....
make the following steps:
unplug the us-122 usb, clear everything from the us-122 from your mac, installer, drivers, updates; EVERYTHING!
shut down all applications, then go to the tascam-page:

http://www.tascam.com/products/us-122;9,15,68,19.html

and install the 3.40-version and plug the us-122 to usb
...and have fun again! :D

I'd recommend that also. I'm using the US-122 with Leopard and I never had any problems with it. I guess the problem for most of you guys is just outdated drivers.

jimezsmoot

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2005
hurray!

Many thanks!
Can finally use Garageband with the 122 :)

hi folks,
unplug the us-122 usb, clear everything from the us-122 from your mac, installer, drivers, updates; EVERYTHING!

kclimie

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
Found this posted on another forum, if you are still having problems with the US-122 even after cleaning all the drivers, etc from your machine and trying again, try connecting it to a Powered USB Hub.

I have a late-2008 unibody MBP and the US-122 will not under any circumstance work when connected directly to it, even in Windows under Boot Camp. Just bought a Belkin Powered USB Hub, reinstalled the drivers, and it works fine in Garage Band and Logic Express 8.

As a test I connected the US-122 directly to the MBP, and sure enough it crapped out. Back on the hub, and it works fine.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Look in System Profiler under the "About this Mac" pull down from the Apple menu. Look at the list of USB devices on your system. You will see the keyboard and mouse and any hubs you might have. If the us122 device shows up as a USB device of any kind (even if as "unknown device") then you have a driver/software issue but if the US122 fails to show up at all then you have a dead us122.

Edit: Well either "dead" or not fully powered up.

The post above is reasonable. USB devices, when plugged in will send a request for power and the hub can say yes or no. USB devices are only allowed minimal power without asking. So it could be that you are using an under powered hub or a powered hub that is already powering a disk or whatever.

musanim

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
YES!!! Powered hub fixed it!!! YAY!!!

I'm so grateful for the suggestion to try a powered hub.
I plugged it into a powered Belkin 7-port hub and it works fine.
I would have never thought to try this, because before,
it would only work when plugged directly into the machine,
and would never work when plugged into a hub.
I wonder why they don't have a note about this on the Tascam site.

jacekartymiak

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2009
Hi,
I have a problem with my tascam us-122 audio interface.

The problem is only the phantom light comes on when plugged in.

Also neither of the audio apps garageband logic etc reconise it.

So i opened up the tascam manager and it said device not avail.

Any help will be much appreciated.

THANKS
:apple:

I have similar problems. I described them in another post https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/685423/. It's 2009 and the audio interface manufacturer's can't make a decent piece of hardware and software to make the boxes useful. Yes, you can get that interface to partially work with your Mac, but it's a broken solution. I'm really mad, I tried two Blue Icicles, Thomann t.bone, TASCAM US-122L. No fun. If anyone can recommend a good audio USB interface that works with all audio apps, I would like to hear about it.

doronherenow

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2009
Be Sure To Trash All The Old US 122 Software

Yes, lowblow's method worked for me:
Brand new Mac Pro, five-year-old Tascam US-122.
In my case, I did not need a powered hub.
I just made sure I got rid of ALL the old us-122 software.
To be thorough, I did this in two ways:
1. Did a search for all file names containing "us-122", and trashed them
2. When you download the 3.40 driver, it gives you an "uninstall" app as well. I downloaded that and ran it. Wanted to be sure.

That's it. I re-started the computer and I'm back in business.
The powered hub idea definitely made sense.
Just in my case, it wasn't needed.

Take your time. Be thorough. :D

hi folks,

djdmarckey

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2009
not working

hey guys
just bough a mac pro and cant get the us 122 to work. mac build leopard 10.5.7.
logic and garage band recognize it as an interface but no sound to or from the tascam. tried the above and thats as far as it gets.
thanks.

djdmarckey

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2009
my comment above

as an extension to my above comment. the us 122 does not work with guitar rig three. it is not a selection for an interface but is available as an output device and midi interface. but even selected as these there is no sound or midi functions. all these work perfect with my old mac. os 10.4

bigalpringle

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2009
Also problem!

as an extension to my above comment. the us 122 does not work with guitar rig three. it is not a selection for an interface but is available as an output device and midi interface. but even selected as these there is no sound or midi functions. all these work perfect with my old mac. os 10.4

I'm having a similar problem - I've been using the us 122 with Garageband for nearly 5 years now and have never had this problem.

I've recently bought a new Macbook and have installed the latest 3.4.0 drivers for the us-122.

It powers on ok and garageband recognizes it and allows it to be selected as both audio input and output.

However, when it's selected as the input garageband does not pick up any audio signal from the interface for real instruments - no signal registers on the mixer - the channel is simply dead.

I have checked that the input is correct and tried every possible input but no luck. Any suggestions?

jeffxtn

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
I've recently bought a new Macbook and have installed the latest 3.4.0 drivers for the us-122.

It powers on ok and garageband recognizes it and allows it to be selected as both audio input and output.

However, when it's selected as the input garageband does not pick up any audio signal from the interface for real instruments - no signal registers on the mixer - the channel is simply dead.

I have checked that the input is correct and tried every possible input but no luck. Any suggestions?

exact same setup/problem here, except on a new mac mini. i've tried everything suggested on this thread, including the powered hub, and still nothing.

halp pleez!

brandonbackhaus

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
tascam us-122 malfuntion

i'm getting a message from garage band that says it's having trouble synchronizing my midi and audio...

and this: Sample Rate 28869 recognized.
Check conflict between GarageBand and external device.

i have os10.5 leopard the newest ish...

with ilife 09 and garage band 09...

it recognizes the tascam as i can select it as my output and input audio but it plays choppy if at all... and the error message continues to pop up...

i downloaded new drivers... have a powered usb hub... ALL THAT!

WTF!?

HELP!!!!!

thanks...

bodhi101

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2009
problem with tascam us-122

I just bought a new macbook Pro and when I hooked up the tascam us-122 to work with garageband it wouldn't recognize it at all, in reading the some of the answers here I downloaded the 3.40 driver and it finally it started working, but now as I record the audio starts getting stuck and repeats like a broken record and I have to quit garageband and restart it again. I am just wondering is there anything I can do fix this problem? Or does anyone know of any reasonably priced midi interfaces with phantom power that will work with leopard/garageband/logic express? Thanks a lot :)

ozzy007

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2009
Simple Fix-or is it

Hey guys,

As posted in a previous thread, using a powered usb hub\ will allow you to use the tascam us-122 with garageband and logic pro. I tried in vain for several hours to get it to work-it could be seen in the audio preferences, but would not detect the sound. After I plugged into a powered usb hub, the thing worked like a charm! I have hear of this problem before-with self-powered usb hard drives...there is something with the specifications for the usb controller in the mac-it doesn't allow for a lot of power.

Anyways, don't throw out the us-122! Just get a powered usb hub! I bought one at Future Shop/Best Buy for $30 cdn...cheaper than a new interface!

djdmarckey

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2009
Success

Powered usb hub + tascam us-122 + new macs with leopard + newist drivers from tascam = functioning interface

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.