Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarah3585

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
As cannon haven't made a photoshop CS3 plug in for intel I'm forced to use canons software which is rubbish. Any alternatives? I'm using a Canonscan Lide 30.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
probably not what you want, but worth mentioning....

Nothing free that I know of, but VueScan works well if you're prepared to throw a few bucks at it and will probably give you better scan quality too. Worth double-checking that it supports your scanner, though - I know it supports the earlier models.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Image Capture (right there in your Apps folder) should also work but is a little bare-bones.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
As cannon haven't made a photoshop CS3 plug in for intel I'm forced to use canons software which is rubbish. Any alternatives? I'm using a Canonscan Lide 30.
I have the Canon CanoScan 8600F rather than CanonScan LiDE 30. Like yours, I think that the CanoScan Toolbox software sucks, particularly with commercial software. However, its driver works like a dream with Image Capture. I would think that Image Capture would work with your scanner as well. Blue Velvet gave you a link to a site that links to the open source TWAIN SANE camera and scanner driver. If you installed Canon's software and cannot get Image Capture to recognize your scanner, then you should download and install TWAIN SANE. It explicitly supports your scanner.

MrMarke

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
Vuescan? Forget it!

Let this be a lesson to would-be VueScan buyers.

I purchased Vuescan standard edition in 2007 ($40) and upgraded within the year allowed. But the update caused Vuescan to behave unpredictably and often crash my Mac running OS X / 10.4.11. After struggling (and numerous hours invested) I finally sent a detailed description of the problem to Hamrick, as he asked. Without diagnosing the problem, Hamrick suggested I download the latest version - 8.4.85.

Problem solved; works fine again. But now Hamrick is charging me ANOTHER $40, refusing to allow me to use the remedy version without the watermark on every scan in the trial version. Hamrick wants another $40 to upgrade to the professional version.

I've already paid $40 once, and won't pay it again. I first asked to go back to the earliest version that I downloaded and forget about the upgrade. Nothing doing, he said – archived older versions would take "hundreds of megabytes" he said. AND HE'S THE DEVELOPER!

Let this be a lesson: When you deal with an individual developer as opposed to a corporation (such as LaserSoft and it's Silverfast scanning software), they are free to dismiss your claims and turn their back. For my $40 invested in VueScan I can only use the trial version now.

Buyer beware. Try Silverfast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.