Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 12, 2007, 09:37 AM   #1
sarah3585
macrumors regular

Any free scanning software?

As cannon haven't made a photoshop CS3 plug in for intel I'm forced to use canons software which is rubbish. Any alternatives? I'm using a Canonscan Lide 30.
sarah3585 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 09:53 AM   #2
tersono
macrumors 68000

probably not what you want, but worth mentioning....

Nothing free that I know of, but VueScan works well if you're prepared to throw a few bucks at it and will probably give you better scan quality too. Worth double-checking that it supports your scanner, though - I know it supports the earlier models.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:07 AM   #3
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Image Capture (right there in your Apps folder) should also work but is a little bare-bones.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:43 AM   #4
sarah3585
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
Image Capture (right there in your Apps folder) should also work but is a little bare-bones.
It just comes up with No Image Capture device connected
sarah3585 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:58 AM   #5
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

This might be helpful, I'm not sure...
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...8475&lsrc=osxh
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 06:22 PM   #6
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah3585 View Post
As cannon haven't made a photoshop CS3 plug in for intel I'm forced to use canons software which is rubbish. Any alternatives? I'm using a Canonscan Lide 30.
I have the Canon CanoScan 8600F rather than CanonScan LiDE 30. Like yours, I think that the CanoScan Toolbox software sucks, particularly with commercial software. However, its driver works like a dream with Image Capture. I would think that Image Capture would work with your scanner as well. Blue Velvet gave you a link to a site that links to the open source TWAIN SANE camera and scanner driver. If you installed Canon's software and cannot get Image Capture to recognize your scanner, then you should download and install TWAIN SANE. It explicitly supports your scanner.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 05:54 PM   #7
MrMarke
macrumors newbie

Vuescan? Forget it!

Let this be a lesson to would-be VueScan buyers.

I purchased Vuescan standard edition in 2007 ($40) and upgraded within the year allowed. But the update caused Vuescan to behave unpredictably and often crash my Mac running OS X / 10.4.11. After struggling (and numerous hours invested) I finally sent a detailed description of the problem to Hamrick, as he asked. Without diagnosing the problem, Hamrick suggested I download the latest version - 8.4.85.

Problem solved; works fine again. But now Hamrick is charging me ANOTHER $40, refusing to allow me to use the remedy version without the watermark on every scan in the trial version. Hamrick wants another $40 to upgrade to the professional version.

I've already paid $40 once, and won't pay it again. I first asked to go back to the earliest version that I downloaded and forget about the upgrade. Nothing doing, he said archived older versions would take "hundreds of megabytes" he said. AND HE'S THE DEVELOPER!

Let this be a lesson: When you deal with an individual developer as opposed to a corporation (such as LaserSoft and it's Silverfast scanning software), they are free to dismiss your claims and turn their back. For my $40 invested in VueScan I can only use the trial version now.

Buyer beware. Try Silverfast.
MrMarke is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store