Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:15 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

First Look at Google's Android Mobile Platform

Google has released the software development kit for Android - a mobile platform announced by Google last week.

Documentation and first look videos are offered through the Android Project page. Most interesting, perhaps, is the Android Demo video which walks through prototype Android devices. Both a smaller and more advanced prototypes of Android phones are shown. They demonstrate functionality as well as detail capabilities as shown here:

Android's web browser is based on Webkit which also powers Apple's Safari browser. This means that web pages will render the same on Android's browser and Safari. Zooming/Scrolling with a touch interface is also supported as shown in the demo.

3d OpenGL support, as shown by a demo of id software's Quake.

The demo video shows other capabilities, such as tight integration into Google Maps. The first commercial phones based on the Android platform are not expected until the second half of 2008. Unlike the iPhone, the Android platform appears to emphasize openness and is encouraging of 3rd party application development. Despite early plans to keep the iPhone closed to 3rd party development, Apple has announced that a 3rd party development kit will become available for the iPhone in February 2008, though what restrictions it may likely entail are not yet known.

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:16 PM   #2
a1016neo
macrumors regular

Looks similar to the iphone.
a1016neo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:17 PM   #3
DiamondMac
macrumors 68040

I will be interested to see how it does at first
21.5-inch, 500GB, 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
DiamondMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:18 PM   #4
noodle654
macrumors 68000

Tubular
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:18 PM   #5
Bonte
macrumors 6502a

Ow man, i can see Apple offering a dual boot or something, this is cool.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:18 PM   #6
Unspeaked
macrumors 68020

Looks like a good start...
Unspeaked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:18 PM   #7
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

It's good news for Safari users since it uses WebKit, which means more developers working on improving it.
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:18 PM   #8
Drumjim85
macrumors 68020

competition is a great thing ... and it will only make apple work harder to deliver better products
Drumjim85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:21 PM   #9
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
I think this will be big competition to the iPhone. You can see what kind of developer community sprouted up for the iPhone... I think with encouragement, a more massive one will easily appear for Android.

arn

Last edited by arn; Nov 12, 2007 at 02:48 PM.
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:21 PM   #10
Nabooly
macrumors 6502a

Wait....didn't google say a couple of days ago that its only going to be providing software, and not actual devices?
Nabooly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:23 PM   #11
dr_lha
macrumors 68000

The biggest problem I've seen so far with this is on one of the screenshots not posted here which shows a menu. Plain and simple, pull down menus don't belong on mobile phones. Microsoft hasn't figured this out yet, I would have hoped that Google would. Maybe they're not very prevalent, overall this looks nice I'd say.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:27 PM   #12
aLoC
macrumors 6502a

Apple showed prototypes of the Mac to Microsoft and they stole it. Now Google is doing the same with the iPhone. Back stabbers.
aLoC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:31 PM   #13
plumbingandtech
macrumors 68000

the lack of a double tapping to zoom really held back the maps demo.

Looks like more competition to windows mobile then the iphone in the overall scheme of things, at least in the short term.

No elegance what so ever though, and when the phone companies switch out their dialers etc.. with their custom version we are looking at something that will prob. sell more units then the iphone (read cheaper) but will look like kitchen with too many cooks in it.

Yah. There will be the people here that will be smart enough to swamp out the bad stuff. (if allowed. i know google says they can but...) but most people will simply use the default sprint-verizon style retracted apps and interfaces... to make it look like a fancy razor.
plumbingandtech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:31 PM   #14
queshy
macrumors 68040

Completely opposite attitude for the iPhone: Google is giving away $10 M to write the best apps, and it seems like Apple is trying to STOP us from unlocking, and in some cases, bricking iPhones.

I think this is great for Apple. It will force them to work harder with the future progression of the iPhone. Without Android, they might have just let the iPhone stay as is for a year or 2 before giving it some updates (why should it have to if it's so far ahead of the market?) - but now with android, I think we'll be seeing more incremental updates to stay in competition with android.
queshy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:32 PM   #15
iPhoneHome
macrumors 6502

this is the first software/device that could actually give the iPhone some SERIOUS competition...I own a iPhone and i found myself really interested in purchasing this! Apple needs to re-market itself very soon, and give us some features that are very much wanted/needed.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:32 PM   #16
dashiel
macrumors 6502a

i really want to like this, open source, google, encouraging developers from the word go, but everything i've seen so far doesn't give me much hope. by the time hardware starts arriving the iphone will have close to 10 million installed units and had their SDK out for almost as long as android -- not to mention be up to 3g (you could tell that was their big "we're better than the iphone" plug).

more power to them, competition is great, but so far this isn't a patch on the iphone
dashiel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:33 PM   #17
fowler.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aLoC View Post
Apple showed prototypes of the Mac to Microsoft and they stole it. Now Google is doing the same with the iPhone. Back stabbers.
are you high? what exactly have they "stolen"?
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:33 PM   #18
Stella
macrumors 603

The initial screenshots / details are encouraging. The Google platform could offer a great platform, including more competition. This should help improve all existing cell phone platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aLoC View Post
Its a fact of life - companies gain inspiration from each other, including Apple ( who have also copied others). Evolution of products - improving upon existing, seeing a potential opportunity where there is a gap in the market. Google think they have seen one. ( I don't consider Google to have stolen anything from Apple ).
Stella is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:33 PM   #19
psychofreak
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabooyl View Post
Wait....didn't google say a couple of days ago that its only going to be providing software, and not actual devices?
Yes, this is just for show...
psychofreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:35 PM   #20
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
i like the text notifications on the top menu bar. very unobtrusive.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:36 PM   #21
jeremy.king
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler. View Post
are you high? what exactly have they "stolen"?
that web page history viewer seems like a little Cover Flow clone
jeremy.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:36 PM   #22
AtHomeBoy_2000
macrumors 6502a

Looks like I'll be waiting until late next year to by a new cell phone. i want to see how this all pans out.
AtHomeBoy_2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:38 PM   #23
ParadigmABQ
macrumors newbie

But can it play Doom?
iPod Touch 16gb
iPhone
ParadigmABQ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:38 PM   #24
Novaoblivion
macrumors member

While some of this looks pretty cool being open source and all. The interface and the speed of the UI doesnt look nearly as fast as the iPhone. Hopefully it will encourage Apple to open up the iPhone a little more though .
Novaoblivion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:38 PM   #25
psychofreak
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjr3 View Post
that web page history viewer seems like a little Cover Flow clone
Its just as much Cover Flow as Flip3D...
psychofreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion