Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shanghaicanuck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Hey, I'm about to receive my brand new iMac that I recently ordered :). I have an old VGA monitor lying around and was hoping I could hook it up to the iMac. Is it really as simple as just purchasing a VGA to mini-DVI adapter and plugging it in? Do you guys have any suggestions or know of any potential quirks???

Thanks!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The mini-DVI to VGA adapter works GREAT for me. Leopard even remembers which monitor I was using and arranges it properly between the external and laptop screen. :D

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I have a white iMac (last model) and connect it to an external VGA LCD with the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter.

I usually put WindowsXP (in full screen mode) using Parallels on the external screen. It works great.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Worked great for me right from the get go when I hooked up my 2005FPW to my 20" iMac (although I'm using DVI instead of VGA). The only thing that bothers me is how the "bird's eye view" in spaces doesn't span across both monitors. It only shows up in the primary display. :(

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
slightly off topic. Can an imac utilize a macbook as an external monitor? Or can i use my macbook to drive my imac and then have dual screen on one of them?

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Worked great for me right from the get go when I hooked up my 2005FPW to my 20" iMac (although I'm using DVI instead of VGA). The only thing that bothers me is how the "bird's eye view" in spaces doesn't span across both monitors. It only shows up in the primary display. :(

i agree... that should be a user preference...

bug reports, people!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.