Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
that would be nice, but how any people in China can afford the iphone?

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
There are lots of wealthy people in China, and although it's a small percent, it's a small percent of over a billion people, way more than the US. That and every foreign worker there, there are loads of expats from all around the world, and if they haven't bought an iPhone yet because they fear it wont work, they'll have the chance soon.

On a sad note though, China mobile is awful. I live in HK and they have a radio tower of some sort across the border in Shenzen. Now I'm no where near the border, I'm on the South-West side of the island, but their tower over rides the local coverage here, so I get done for roaming, when I'm not even in China. Drives me mad, they should be forced to shut that down, it's not fair.

bobobo

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Great. I hope PCCW takes it for Hong Kong. PCCW don't have to even worry about 3G. They almost got everywhere covered with wifi.

I just hope wifi will be free but even then it is pretty cheap right now for 1 month access.

Internet on the MTR... only problem is the MTR is too fast that you might not actually get to use it.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Great. I hope PCCW takes it for Hong Kong. PCCW don't have to even worry about 3G. They almost got everywhere covered with wifi.

I just hope wifi will be free but even then it is pretty cheap right now for 1 month access.

Internet on the MTR... only problem is the MTR is too fast that you might not actually get to use it.

Apparently the HKU is offering free internet all over HK if you register your computer with them, I assume they need the MAC address... sounds good, unfortunately you have to work there to get in on it.

PCCW is all right, I live right next to the flipping Cyberport and still get bad reception, due in part to picking up China Mobile's reception all the way from China.

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA

Dude. They have nuclear weapons and send stuff into space. There are people who can pay for an iPhone.

Besides, there are these little places called Shanghai and Hong Kong etc. that are big economic centers...omg

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
Dude. They have nuclear weapons and send stuff into space. There are people who can pay for an iPhone.

Besides, there are these little places called Shanghai and Hong Kong etc. that are big economic centers...omg

I know that, but i only thought that the most people of China were poor, but after reading some normal reactions off other people, i now know better,

you don't have too omg me

iliketomac

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2006
I agree... You'd be surprise how many people there are in China (and all over Southeast Asia) that can afford to indulge in expensive gadgets (and hi-line cars too). So don't be too ignorant, you'll be eating your own words (and foot!) Take a trip all over Asia and you'll realize that for the millions of poor people - there are also a very large number of middle-incomed to affluent wealthy families! ;)

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006

Chinese people constantly purchase cell phones priced over $300. Because in China most people use prepaid+monthly subscription fee, there is no 2-year contract.

Also, the number of mobile phone users in China is larger than US population.

phytonix

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
On a sad note though, China mobile is awful. I live in HK and they have a radio tower of some sort across the border in Shenzen. Now I'm no where near the border, I'm on the South-West side of the island, but their tower over rides the local coverage here, so I get done for roaming, when I'm not even in China. Drives me mad, they should be forced to shut that down, it's not fair.

China Mobile is not that bad. The fee is not cheap for Chinese, but compared to how much Verizon/ATT is charging, it is much cheaper.

Plus they usually don't have 2-year contract, not even 1-year contract. You can change your phone whenever you want, just get a SIM card.

They don't force you into plans which have thousands of minutes you can't use.

SMS is cheap, GPRS is not outragous.

The only downside is that it is not flat rate for mobile users to call local and long distance. But, if you are in the same city, physically, people can call you at local rate even you have non-local number, from their cell phone, or landline. But you will be roaming...

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
China: 345,000 millionaires, 106 billionaires

While fewer than the ~2.7 million in the US or 767,000 in Germany, China has among the largest number of millionaires in the world. I'm not sure why Japan isn't in the list, but it still has more than China -- just couldn't locate the figure from the Merrill Lynch report.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/BUSINESS/06/21/btn.globalrich/index.html
"After the U.S. figure of 2.67 million millionaires, Germany had 767,000, the UK had 448,000 and China had 320,000 in 2005, according to the survey. Brazil had 109,000, Russia had 103,000 and India had 83,000. Australia was home to 146,000 millionaires, while Canada had 232,000.

By region, there were about 2.9 million in North America, 2.8 million in Europe, 2.4 million in Asia Pacific, 300,000 in Latin America, 300,000 in the Middle East and 100,000 in Africa."

also: http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5ixQlU1GeghWewhn1PFb2nZwzEPPg

glennyboiwpg

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
Wow... I can just see the Macrumors headline now....

iPhone antartica and iPhone moon release dates set...
iPhone Canada still waiting....

Wow... just Wow.

frodofshire

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2007
I know that, but i only thought that the most people of China were poor, but after reading some normal reactions off other people, i now know better,

you don't have too omg me

OMG, are you still living in 19 century? OMG!!!:cool:

watice

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
There are lots of wealthy people in China, and although it's a small percent, it's a small percent of over a billion people, way more than the US. That and every foreign worker there, there are loads of expats from all around the world, and if they haven't bought an iPhone yet because they fear it wont work, they'll have the chance soon.

I was just in Kowloon and was really surprised by the number of people I saw with iphones, I expected to be the only one since it is a US. phone. Not the case. The kid at the cell phone store who couldn't have been older than 18 had an unlocked iphone, and hooked me up with a 3G sim, my reception was great, just wasn't smart enough to ask about a data plan too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.