Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
I am a long time PC user and have converted to Mac with a MacBook this month.

I am looking to purchase a MacPro, but would like a choice other than the stock video cards offered.

My main question is, would I be able to install a BFG Tech Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 640MB video card into the current MacPro? I have a self built gaming PC gaming rig and would love to make use of some things out of it for my future Mac such as the SATA drives and the video card.

My first post here so some help would be greatly appreciated.

sweedigel

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2007
france
Your card will only work if you boot under Windows. On Mac OS you'll have a blank screen. You have to buy a Mac graphic card which have a specific firmware. And the most powerfull one atm is a x1900xt :(

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I was at the Apple store yesterday and it did seem weird while I was listening to the sales associate say I would have no problem using my PC video card. I figured there had to some sort of compatibility issue somewhere in the line.

I guess I may wait until the "rumored" MacPro makes it's debut then.

Again, thanks.

sweedigel

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2007
france
Yea we cross the fingers for a new graphic card. An option for the 8800GT instead the outdated x1900XT would be a great surprise.
It's better for you and your wallet to wait 'til the update before buy. ;)

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Your card will only work if you boot under Windows. On Mac OS you'll have a blank screen. You have to buy a Mac graphic card which have a specific firmware. And the most powerfull one atm is a x1900xt :(

side question: what if you put in 2 cards ?
one windows card
+
standard mac card

should you be able to use the second one for the mac then ? or doesn't boot it correctly in that configuration

sweedigel

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2007
france
side question: what if you put in 2 cards ?
one windows card
+
standard mac card

should you be able to use the second one for the mac then ? or doesn't boot it correctly in that configuration

It will work. But the windows card will be recognized as an unknown device.

rhildinger

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2006
You can't get a Mac 7300GT and a PC graphics card to boot correctly in Mac Pro. If you have both cards installed the Mac refuses to boot, pure and simple.

You CAN however have a Mac X1900XT card and a PC graphics card installed together in the Mac Pro, and it will boot just fine. It won't be able to use the PC card, but the X1900XT will still work fine. The PC card will be usable within bootcamp. There are some issues with this however, especially in the area of the number of data lanes configured for each PCIe slot, and the fact that you can only have one card with a 16x lane slot.

Also, in order to do this, you'll need to get another micro PCIe power to mini PCIe power cable adapter, or use one of the PCIe power converter cables that connects to a standard IDE power plug and connect it to the unused optical drive power plug.

-Robert

francojc

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
You can't get a Mac 7300GT and a PC graphics card to boot correctly in Mac Pro. If you have both cards installed the Mac refuses to boot, pure and simple.

That's not true. I have a Mac 7300GT and a PC 8800GT running and my Mac Pro, and it boots into Mac or Windows fine. Only the Mac 7300GT runs on Mac OS, and the Mac 7300GT and PC 8800GT run on Windows. In Windows I set the 8800GT as the primary card.

My only complaint is that the 8800GT's fan runs at full speed if you boot straight into Mac. It's pretty annoying. If you boot into Windows it will slow down once the drivers start.

Franco

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
That's not true. I have a Mac 7300GT and a PC 8800GT running and my Mac Pro, and it boots into Mac or Windows fine. Only the Mac 7300GT runs on Mac OS, and the Mac 7300GT and PC 8800GT run on Windows. In Windows I set the 8800GT as the primary card.

My only complaint is that the 8800GT's fan runs at full speed if you boot straight into Mac. It's pretty annoying. If you boot into Windows it will slow down once the drivers start.

Franco

So what about the "only 1 16 channel pipeline?" problem
Do you have to change this setting every time before you boot windows up to get the most of the card, or do you just run it at a reduced rate? Does it still work well for games? I'd love to pimp my graphics out for Christmas, but have always held back because of this problem....
convince me to go for it :)

kmd

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007
How to install?

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, but ...

I just got an 8800GT for my dual booted Mac Pro. But, I've discovered, it needs a an additional power source. Does anyone know how to access the Mac Pro's power supply to get the connections necessary? I can't seem to find the answer online.:confused:

Thanks

kmd

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007
Answered own question

Ok. I figured out how to get to the power - use an extension cord from the CD drive power. But, problem number two is what others have found - the 8800 does not work in the Mac Pro. Going to exchange and try my luck with an ATI 3870 ...

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Ok. I figured out how to get to the power - use an extension cord from the CD drive power. But, problem number two is what others have found - the 8800 does not work in the Mac Pro. Going to exchange and try my luck with an ATI 3870 ...

Neither are going to work in Mac OS X unless you run a modified kernel.

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
You'll want to keep an eye on the Titan and Natit projects. Currently You can't use an 8800 card yet as there has never been one in an official mac yet. The 8600GT has a chance. Any 7000 series should be fine. I've done it with a Gigabyte 7600GT and it worked fine. Games and all.

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask, but ...

I just got an 8800GT for my dual booted Mac Pro. But, I've discovered, it needs a an additional power source. Does anyone know how to access the Mac Pro's power supply to get the connections necessary? I can't seem to find the answer online.:confused:

Thanks

There are two power connectors on the motherboard for graphics cards, use one of them.

this article may give you more info... http://developer.apple.com/document...le_ref/doc/uid/TP40003937-DontLinkElementID_3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.