Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Okay, trying to help out a friend in need. Just to put this at the top, we tried the steps listed in the "Recovering Songs from your iPod" guide here at MacRumors and have run into problems, hence my post.

My friend's iPod (a 4th gen color iPod w/ click wheel) is now the sole repository for his music. He lost his main computer's collection due to an unfortunate hard drive death. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, except that iTunes claims the iPod has a problem and needs to be restored to factory settings (which would wipe all his music). Obviously he doesn't want that to happen. Bizzare thing is, the iPod works completely fine on its own—when it's playing music, detached from a computer, it functions perfectly. No crashes, no hangs, no missing tracks or otherwise corrupted files. You can still browse tracks and play them fine. It's totally functional.

So we used the "reveal hidden folders/files" method to copy the Music folder and its Byzantine structure off to a machine's hard drive here at the office, then went to add the files to iTunes. Problem number one: iTunes wouldn't add the files since they were still apparently hidden. So we used a utility to change the "invisible" bit on the files/folders and went to import them again. This time iTunes imported all the files (we had it set to copy them to the library and rename/organize them so they'd be rescued from the "four letter folder/filename" thing), but they play back incorrectly. Some are incredibly short, or don't play anything, others start mid-way through and end quickly... it's like all the data isn't there, despite the fact that the ID3 tag information was successfully pulled from the files and they're all still the correct file sizes.

So, basically, I'm not sure what's going wrong. Is there some critical step I've missed? Should I use a different utility to rename the files, like MediaRage? Basically, is there any easy way to deal with this problem?

greenday123

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
NJ
Try using a ipod music ripping program, theyre much easier. The one that ive always used and found to be the easiest was Music Rescue, you can get it for free at "http://www.kennettnet.co.uk/musicrescue/mr_download.php" Hope this helps, it automaticaly downloads the proper file names and tags and everything.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Interestingly enough, we did get it to appear in Senuti, but the files we transferred had the same problem.

I'm beginning to think there's something wonky in the circuitry that spits out USB data from the dock connector. If that internal logic is bypassed when the player plays music on its own, but it's screwing up the data coming out of the bottom of the device, that'd cause a symptom like we're seeing here, right? Like I said, when the device is playing music internally it behaves perfectly.

I guess this could be verified by removing the hard drive from the device and mounting it on a computer (or putting it in another iPod) somehow to see if the data is retrievable outside that circuitry, but I'm not sure of any good ways to do that. Are there any casings that have the appropriate attachments for 1.8" drives?

Curiouser and curiouser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.