Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will there be a new iPhone in January?

• Yeah

Votes: 29 13.4%
  • Nah

Votes: 187 86.6%

• Total voters

That-Is-Bull

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
A lot of people have been saying a new iPhone will come out in January. I've really been wanting an iPhone but 8 GB is barely enough space for me, and if there's a decent chance a new one is coming out in January I'll wait for it, otherwise I'll get one for Christmas. What are the chances of a new one coming out in a couple months?

Retired
May 16, 2006
I seriously doubt it - it would be only 2 months after the European launch...

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
I'll just wait. I expect a Dutch launch in March 2008. If it is still first gen I'll wait some more ;) The 8 GB memory is just to make people hungry for more. Memory is cheap, there's little or no reason to start with 8 GB. Having said this, my 4 GB Nano third gen is more than adequate. I only use it for one purpose, on my bike to work. 600 tracks are enough :D

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Think of how pissed off all the people who bought the iPhone 1st Gen in Europe. There would be riots outside Apple stores! They would burn Jobs at the stake.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Think of how pissed off all the people who bought the iPhone 1st Gen in Europe. There would be riots outside Apple stores! They would burn Jobs at the stake.

You can be sure that they wouldn't be given a rebate like american buyers.

geenosr

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
South
Buy it now!

If 8 gig is enough for your nano---you won't be sorry you bought the iPhone.
I have both video and music on mine, and I have room to spare. I honestly spend more time on youtube and safari than the iPod side. When I am on the iPod, it is more than adequate for my needs.

If the iPhone 2 does come out next year, it will probably be later rather than sooner. I don't know if Apple learned anything from the last price drop fiasco, but now they're dealing with a global marketplace, not just the USA.

I have never enjoyed a tech toy more in my life than I enjoy my iPhone. That's saying a lot!

Seriously---buy it now--you'll be glad you didn't wait.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
I could see an announcement in January (so Apple can make the announcement as opposed to the FCC). But my guess would be the absolute earliest we'd see a new iPhone would be this summer.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
You're a flat out idiot if you think iPhone 2 will be out before Q4 of 2008.

What are the new features going to be? More space and 3G?

Oh wow, that must be worth $500 to upgrade to.

KittyToy

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Davenport
I don't know why people so concerned about version 2, buy it now and enjoy the iphone for all it's worth. what is the big deal about space, it's a phone for goodness sake, it's not suppose to replace your ipod. that being said when will you be satisfied with the space that you have, 16 gb now then when you get that you will want 32 and so on, when will it be enough.:confused:

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Good point. I'ma go ahead and get one. 8 GB is enough if I delete some of the **** I rarely listen to.

Good choice.

Seriously, how can you need more than a few GB's of music on a device? It's not like you're going to play 1,000 songs in one sitting. Sure it might be nice to have a song on hand, but that's what good playlists are for.

To be honest, i only have like 300 songs on my computer. All i need.

Video is another story, but still, i'm happy with my 4GB iPhone. I would of gotten the 8 but i got the last 4GB on iDay.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Its not just music - its photos and movies.

Good choice.

Seriously, how can you need more than a few GB's of music on a device? It's not like you're going to play 1,000 songs in one sitting. Sure it might be nice to have a song on hand, but that's what good playlists are for.

To be honest, i only have like 300 songs on my computer. All i need.

Video is another story, but still, i'm happy with my 4GB iPhone. I would of gotten the 8 but i got the last 4GB on iDay.

Flying Dutchman

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Maybe

I'll just wait. I expect a Dutch launch in March 2008. If it is still first gen I'll wait some more ;) The 8 GB memory is just to make people hungry for more. Memory is cheap, there's little or no reason to start with 8 GB. Having said this, my 4 GB Nano third gen is more than adequate. I only use it for one purpose, on my bike to work. 600 tracks are enough :D

First of all; Hallo :)

Second, I think the "iPhone 2" won't come out till a long time, but my guess is that in January the iPhone might see a 16 GB chip, 'cause I'm like going to hardware upgrade the phone myself if I have to, these chips ain't that hard/expensive to buy anymore. So I think it'll be like this; Apple is going to upgrade to a 16GB chip, with no extra features, for January, it'll come out in March for Holland (and probably other European country's) at the KPN provider (I think, Apple has gone with the "ex-governmental property" so far (for Europe)), and around June we might see an iPhone 2. Still, the Buyersguide indicates, Don't buy, end of cycle or something. But, I'll wait for the French iPhone to come out.

Voor jou GoodWatch; kijk ook eens op OneMoreThing.nl in de fora...

colonelbutt

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2007
London
as the touch is 16gb, it is for sure there will be a 16gb version soon.

however i think the 8gb one will remain, and the 16gb will be more expensive.

after another year or 18months there will probably be a 32gb version.

i am pretty sure that Apple will not be playing around with the user interface or form factor much for many years. its pretty good and they need to recoup their R&D anyway.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
You're a flat out idiot if you think iPhone 2 will be out before Q4 of 2008.

What are the new features going to be? More space and 3G?

Oh wow, that must be worth $500 to upgrade to.

New features

GPS, there were articles either on BGR or TUAW on Jobs working together with Telenav and seeing how AT&T already has Telenav it would be a smart thing to do.

3G, working on it but the main problem is still battery life, let alone AT&T getting 3G up and running nationwide, I know it still is NOT up in my area, it comes and goes and comes and goes

16Gig of Memory and from a salesperson I trust at the Corp store there has been RUMOR of more memory but nothing in writing / email

More applications, or programs however you want to slice it.

I have seen more iPhones locally on T-Mobiles network

And finally "Forgot to add this" Due out is Christmas or Late fall in 2008 no sooner

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
GPS they could add just by producing a USB Bluetooth adapter and enabling it in software... OTOH GPS is a *huge* battery drain - running flat out it can drain an N95 with the high capacity battery in about 4 hours (compared to a standard battery life of about 3.5 days)... it's really an in-car thing for satnav support. A USB GPS adapter can have its own battery to take the strain off the phone.

iphone would be pretty good at satnav IMO - nice large touch screen.. Add a decent text to speech processor and it could even replace my 910.

3G would require a new phone release, however battery life issues with it are overblown.. I've never seen any practical difference (couple of percent here and there) however the iphone has such a weak battery to start with it may make more of a difference.

16Gb version is pretty much a shoe-in... I'm surprised there isn't one already.

16Gb (or more) and 3G would be worth the upgrade to me, provided the software issues were fixed by then.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
January which year? :)

January 2008 would be too soon. Apple have already learned their lesson on changing things just a few months after launch I should think.

Also I can't remember where, but I'm sure there was a quote from Jobs saying they'll be able to do 3G in the second half of next year... so I think we've got a while to go yet (think January 2009) unless that's slated for the iPhone 3.

jg2000

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
I can't believe I'm still reading these arguements. 8GIG is PLENTY for a PHONE, understand....a PHONE. You should not be using the iPhone as your primary source for music and video and photos and all that. If that was the case, there would be no use for ipods. think of it...as the NAME of the product clearly states,...iPHONE not iEVERYTHINGTHEYMAKEINONELITTLEPACKAGE.

I have 20 gig of stuff I could put on it, but why??? I've said this a million times too, just because they make something that holds 100GBm doesn't mean you have to scramble to fill it. There seems to be a weird obsession with that.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Steve jobs announced the iphone as 'the best ipod we've ever made'.

It's an ipod, with a phone. Or a phone, with an ipod. Or a PDA/iPod/Camera/Phone convergence device. Whatever. It's *not* 'just a phone'. If you want 'just a phone' there are plenty of cheap devices available with no camera, email, google maps, music playback etc. The iphone is not one of those.

One of the big selling points of ipod is you carry all your music around.. I find it really hard to get down to 8gb (especially when 2gb of that has video on it)... I have itunes selecting a random selection each day (well it's supposed to but as mention elsewhere smart playlists are broken and it never updates - I need to try some of the workarounds to see if I can get it working).

That-Is-Bull

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
I can't believe I'm still reading these arguements. 8GIG is PLENTY for a PHONE, understand....a PHONE. You should not be using the iPhone as your primary source for music and video and photos and all that. If that was the case, there would be no use for ipods. think of it...as the NAME of the product clearly states,...iPHONE not iEVERYTHINGTHEYMAKEINONELITTLEPACKAGE.

According to Jobs, the iPhone is a phone, iPod, web browser, and something else I forgot. It's not just a phone. If the iPhone is just a phone, then what is the iPod Touch? It's pretty much the same thing but with less features and more space.

I have 20 gig of stuff I could put on it, but why??? I've said this a million times too, just because they make something that holds 100GBm doesn't mean you have to scramble to fill it. There seems to be a weird obsession with that.

Just because I need a little more than 8 GB of space, that doesn't mean I also need 100 GB. I had almost 8 GB of music, that would fill the iPhone up and wouldn't leave room for videos, pictures, and other applications and stuff.

I'm going to stop there. Honestly, this is a really stupid post and I'm not going to waste any more time responding to it. No offense.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I am going to say most likely no. Too closeto the euro launch, I doubt they will even unveil a 16GB one. I highly doubt that they will mention the iPhone at all except for the SDK and any new apps or features that they will be adding soon. That is actually a lot, but they won't being showing a new product.

GTiPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Island Heights, NJ

You are about as clueless as it gets. Is it the "Old Phone" ringtone that keeps confusing you into thinking the iPhone is a phone?

Granted it is capable of making and receiving calls, and that is also its most expensive feature....but in no way shape or form is the iPhone a Phone.

For a phone, I would not want nor care about photos, music, video, etc...because its a phone.

The iPhone is the best portable internet device available and is an awesome widescreen ipod.

....oh and it can make phone calls.

xenotaku

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005

some of us would like to have an all-in-one device. I don't want to carry an iPod and a phone in my pocket and in my car to listen to music. I'm waiting for more memory and 3G, then I'm getting an iPhone and ditching my iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.