Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Okay... This is the most obnoxious computer problem I've ever encountered...

I'm yet to figure out a pattern, but my Macbook Pro's keyboard will just stop working for several minutes at a time at random points in time... Even if I hit caps or num lock, they don't turn green.

Sometimes it'll just happen once every few hours, but I was in class the other day and it would work for a minute, then not work for a few, than work for another minute, etc.

Quite frustrating...

Anyone have any clue what might be up here?

chrisbeebops

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
excerpt from https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/383558/

chrisbeebops said:
I am also currently experiencing the same issue. It seems to come and go, but it is very annoying, so I have resorted to an external keyboard.

I was able to fix the problem temporarily by putting cardboard between the computer and battery. This worked for awhile, but now the keyboard becomes randomly unresponsive both with and without the cardboard.

My guess is the keyboard connector is loose, but I'll have to wait for Thanksgiving break before I have a chance to bring my MBP to an Apple Store for repair.
ravenvii said:
Yes, this is a very common problem with the SR MBPs, and your guess is exactly right; this is due to a improperly connected ribbon cable. And your intuition, too, is correct in thinking that a Genius can fix the issue easily. This has occurred to enough users that they will not hassle you about it. And the fix is easy, you'll be in and out the store with your MBP, no problem.

thefreakid

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
i ahve the same problem and yes i do run leopard is that the cause or is my macbook pro defective?

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
@chrisbeebops
Thank you so much! I'm at college without a car so the nearest Apple store ain't exactly accessible... I'll get this taken care of over Thanksgiving break, thanks!

prsmami4

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2007
Thank You!!!

I almost had a panic attack when my keyboard on my macbook stopped working. I figured it couldn't have been from installing leopard cause' i still have tiger. But I just read these threads and found them helpful! thank you guys soooo much! :):):D

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
This has nothing to do with Leopard, please see my previous post.

Oh... but it does.

I sent Apple an email regarding this, and I got an email back.

Alex,

Steve forwarded your email to me.

Our engineers have been investigating this issue, and they believe that they have found the problem. As soon as we thoroughly test the changes, we intend to release a software update (ASAP).

Thank you for your patience.

Mike Bell

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
It's not hardware- it's software. If it were hardware, then it would be an MBP problem. This has JUST ( i.e. this morning ) started happening on my MB. It renders it functionally useless for 20-30 sec at a time, every few minutes.

Doug

fart

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
The Nation's Fartland
Oh... but it does.

I sent Apple an email regarding this, and I got an email back.

Alex,

Steve forwarded your email to me.

Our engineers have been investigating this issue, and they believe that they have found the problem. As soon as we thoroughly test the changes, we intend to release a software update (ASAP).

Thank you for your patience.

Mike Bell

THANKS!!!

chrisbeebops

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
I now also believe it is a software issue. Thanks for the update.

Over Thanksgiving break, Apple Geniuses replaced my logic board and top case assembly (the keyboard/trackpad) and I am still having the same issue (though not as frequently). Apple Geniuses do not seem to be aware of this issue.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
thanks for this thread.. I've noticed this a couple times too on my recently purchased SR Macbook Pro. I bought it refurbed so I figured it had to do with that. Good to hear others are having this problem. I'll get it checked out whenever I get a chance. Te problem's not happening too often for me right now

Anorion

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
Yep, doing this on my SR MB, I've noticed. If you close the lid and reopen it, it goes away like that.

Hope the fix comes soon.

andyone

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
I had this problem with my powerbook and I have been seeing the same problem with my MacBook Pro (previous model) for a week now. I think it is related to static electricity. Since this started happening the air here has been really dry and I am getting shocked every time I touch anything. I can seem to trigger the keyboard&touchpad failure by intentionally charging myself (rubbing feet on carpet) and touching the MBP. After sleep+wakeup it works again.

KeepAppleHonest

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009
Its not a loose keyboard connector.

I had this problem on my previous machine and Apple blamed the logic board. However, I then bought a replacement MacBook Pro and now my new macBook pro 2.5GHz has had the exact same unresponsive keyboard problem for the first time. :mad: Its not a loose keyboard connector. Bottom line is, Apple is trying to charge a fortune to fix this problem and they don't really know what the problem is. has anyone found an actual fix? Can we prove its software? Are they hiding a flaw in the logic board?

opally

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
I'm looking for a solution to this as well. External keyboard and BlueTooth mouse work but built-in keyboard and trackpad randomly go dead. OS 10.6.5, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MB Pro 15". Rebooting fixes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.