Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewcare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
Ok... so I broke down after spending almost 2 years waiting for the right 15" Powerbook to suit my needs (and to save up the money) I jumped on this new 15" and now I need to know what I need to do to protect it. What is the best way? I'm thinking about getting a sleeve and then throwing that inside of my backpack when i take it to class (I'm a college student) Or should I purchase a case instead of a sleeve, or both? What sleeve is the best one (in your opinion...) price does matter here, as I just spent a ton of money on this thing, and I cant afford a $150 case for it (I'm hoping to spend way less than $100 here).

Thanks in Advance... I cant wait for my powerbook to ship... on or before 9/19 :)

max11

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2003
London
if you want cool cases for your powerbook, check out http://www.compushell.com - the site doesn't appear to be up at the moment, but it has some very sweet hard cases to protect your computer.

i have a STM bag (soft), and although good, didn't do much when i fell and put my elbow right smack in the middle of my new 12" powerbook (ouch! :( ) so do yourself a favour and get a hard case.

in case you're wondering, the powerbook survived, but had to be physically bent back into shape. the whole case was bowed - but it still worked :D

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I almost went with a timbuk2 bag but i went with the brenthaven because the way i looked at it the additional $50 would ensure that it would never be damaged in that case. I saw the representitive of brenthaven put a laptop in their bag and drop it from 6 feet and nothing happend to it so that's good enough for me. I looked at the timbuk2 bag and the sleeve is very flimsy and anything more than a modest bump or drop would smash up the laptop.
-Stephen

GrizzlyHippo

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
on the sofa
Which bag?

I'm in the same position - awaiting delivery of my 15" 1.25 PB.

If like me you will be carrying a briefcase as well as the laptop and want a slim case just for your PB, you might want to look at the two I'm considering:

http://www.acmemade.com/bags.html

and

The BrainCell at http://www.tombihn.com

I'm leaning toward the acme, just cos' it looks funkier, but the construction of the BrainCell seems better... ummmmm...

Grizzly???

JBoogieZX6

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2003
same here,
just ordered a 17 pb last weekend and ive been looking for a way to carry it around.

im thinking about getting a tombihn brain sleeve (or watever its called) and carrying that around in a messenger bag..

anyone have any experiences with this kind of setup?

one of the concerns that i have with messenger bags is that it will place a lot of pressure at the ends of a laptop as large as the 17" pb... maybe causing it to bend?

if anyone has experience carrying a 17" pb in a messenger bag please let us know how you feel about it.

max11

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2003
London
Originally posted by JBoogieZX6
one of the concerns that i have with messenger bags is that it will place a lot of pressure at the ends of a laptop as large as the 17" pb... maybe causing it to bend?

if anyone has experience carrying a 17" pb in a messenger bag please let us know how you feel about it.
i used to work in an apple store - and a large amount of 15" TiBooks that came back bent or warped because they were carried in sling or messanger type bags. i can only imagine the 17", although stiffer, would suffer a similar fate.

go with a solid bag/case if you can..

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
I'll second the Brenthaven its great and it comes with a padded sleeve that attaches with velcrow which has its own handle, so you can have a small case when you need it.-RAM

JBoogieZX6

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2003
thanks for the advice max11....

i guess im going to start looking for a backpack instead of a messenger now..

RajK

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2003
One thing that concerns me about the Brenthaven case is that the spec sheet lists the laptop sleeve as having the dimensions: 1" X 9 1/2 " X 13 1/2". With the slightly larger size of the Al15" it doesn't look like it will fit. I'm assuming that this has already been taken into consideration, but I'd like to be sure. Has anyone tried fitting a new 15" into a Brenthaven case?

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
Originally posted by RajK
One thing that concerns me about the Brenthaven case is that the spec sheet lists the laptop sleeve as having the dimensions: 1" X 9 1/2 " X 13 1/2". With the slightly larger size of the Al15" it doesn't look like it will fit. I'm assuming that this has already been taken into consideration, but I'd like to be sure. Has anyone tried fitting a new 15" into a Brenthaven case?
that's a very good point. i didn't even notice that with the sleeve. i didn't order the brenthaven yet, but i'd rather wait till brenthaven supports the new powerbook 15"'s dimensions.

nickfit

macrumors member
May 31, 2003
Try looking at the Tibag. It was designed for the Tibook, but I emailed the maker and he said that it will work great with the new dimensions of the Albook. And, it is only 39.99 plus shipping. I read great reviews, and there is room to carry other things so it can double as a backpack. I would tell you for sure how it works, but Apple is having a hard time accepting my money. I hope, though, that my new 15incher will be in the mail soon, so I can slip it into my new Tibag which should be here today.

Oh yeah, the url is http://my2cents.biz/tibagusa/

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Blurr

I use the Blurr BTR Note shoulder bag for my iBook, but it's definitely big enought for the 15" PB. I really like it because of it's more aerodynamic vertical orientation, and also the plushest shoulder padding you'll find on any shoulder bag. It also has inside pockets that are just the right size for an iPod or PDA.

Here's a URL:

http://www.mountainco-op.com/Produc...75&PRODUCT<>prd_id=336535&bmUID=1063997918727

drewcare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
Ok, thank you all for all of your suggestions, I went out to my local compusa and looked at the brenhaven (i think thats right) it was a nice case, but I didn't like the sleeve, plus I dunno for $150 it was a bit much for me, so I looked around and purchased a Vanguard case (more like a briefcase) its a hard case that is not too large in size, and it looks pretty cool. I'll get some pictures of it and whatnot whenever my albook comesl.... as I'm waiting on that now. Here is a link to the case that has a picture to it tho.... http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage....Source=PriceGrabber.datafeed.VGD+VGA9526.text

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
Good, I have a Vanguard and they seem extremely high quality (even though I got it from ebay and the seller didn't send the keys or strap). But it was a 2.2" thick case, and those are hard to come by. Enjoy your Vanguard.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I got a Tom Bihn Monolith when I got my TiBook last November. It works in the portrait position rather than the landscape, and I carry it in my backpack rather than a messenger bag, but my wife recently got the Tom Bihn ID messenger bag with snaps to accept a brain cell. There's enough rigidity in the bag itself that I don't think there will be problems when she gets her 12"PB. I don't know if you can fit the 17" in there, but the Empire Builder bag is next on my list, and should fit anything.

BTW, I love my monolith. It has kept my 'book looking superb through many months of rough backpack travel and classroom use.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Bending?

Could someone please explain how/why using a messenger bag would bend/warp a 15" powerbook? I use a messenger bag now and I was going to buy one just like it fit for a laptop.. so far Timbuk2 has my eye.

drjekyl

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2003
I just bought the timbuk2 messenger bag and I love it. It is a soft bag but for school it is really nice. I had a brenthaven before this an dthe one that I had (mobility 2) didn't have any room for ANYTHING besides the ibook (which is now a 15 pBook). The Timbuk2 has the shoulder strap and a waist strap to make it extra secure which is nice if you use any type of physical transportation beside your feet (longboard in my case). I don't know anything about bending it unless you were to stumble and land on it, but the timbuk2 is a sweet bag

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Has anyone had any experience with Spire? I am also looking for a new laptop bag that also has room for extra storage for classes/traveling on a plane and the backpacks look good but I am not sure how they hold up or if they are worth the money. I've looked at Brenthaven, but there is no way I can spend $200 on a laptop bag after the money I spent on getting a new 15" and getting all new OS X software for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.