Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdsmyth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Ok, I'm officially hacked off with 1.1.2. First I follow the instructions in the forum but end up having to restore my ipod and changed it to an unhacked version of 1.1.2.

Next I try and restore 1.1.1 after someone posted a link to it (searching for that was an effort to begin with). I relabel it to _Restore.ipsw and go to select it using the Option+Restore in iTunes. And nothing!, it sees it as a folder and nothing I can do changes it.

Some really clear instructions would be great, although there are some clear instructions on hacking the iPod something simple like downgraded is glossed over and idiots like me haven't a clue what to do.

If someone could help explain for us stupid Mac users I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance
Barry

REBELinBLUE

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
London, UK
It sounds like you've extracted the files and then renamed the folder to end in .ipsw

That is not what you want to do, you just want to rename the archive to end in .ipsw. Although why you have the firmware without the .ipsw extension to begin with is beyond me

Download it from http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...70927.p23dD/iPod1,1_1.1.1_3A110a_Restore.ipsw

Don't rename it, don't extract it, don't do anything with it. Just go into iTunes and option+click the restore button.

Also if you want to download 1.1.2 it is at http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...071107.9g3DF/iPod1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw I've found that if you do it through iTunes and the update fails for whatever reason it'll download the whole 150MB file again so I prefer to download it myself and tell iTunes to use that file.

bdsmyth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2007
Great, fab, thanks, I'm now back to 1.1.1 jailbroken iPod with everything I like installed and I'm never going to upgrade again until someone makes the hack for the upgrade as easy as the hack for 1.1.1 is.

Thanks for taking that time to reply to my original message.

REBELinBLUE

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
London, UK
No problem, all the instructions seem a bit of a mess right now. I ended up having to do mine several times before I got it working successfully.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Wait a week, then check back. I did the upgrade last night and it worked the first time through. But I'm on a MacBook, not sure if it's easier or dicier on PPC or Windows.

pogo23

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2007
London
I have problems with .ipsw

It sounds like you've extracted the files and then renamed the folder to end in .ipsw

That is not what you want to do, you just want to rename the archive to end in .ipsw. Although why you have the firmware without the .ipsw extension to begin with is beyond me

Download it from http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...70927.p23dD/iPod1,1_1.1.1_3A110a_Restore.ipsw

Don't rename it, don't extract it, don't do anything with it. Just go into iTunes and option+click the restore button.

Also if you want to download 1.1.2 it is at http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...071107.9g3DF/iPod1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw I've found that if you do it through iTunes and the update fails for whatever reason it'll download the whole 150MB file again so I prefer to download it myself and tell iTunes to use that file.

REBELinBLUE,
i downloaded the file from the link above, but once the download is complete, i have a folder in my desktop, rather than a zip file. How can I do?
I am trying to restore 1.1.1 as I messed up and ended up with the 1.1.2 without jaibreaking it before upgrading
Many thanks for the help!
gianluca

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
REBELinBLUE,
i downloaded the file from the link above, but once the download is complete, i have a folder in my desktop, rather than a zip file. How can I do?
I am trying to restore 1.1.1 as I messed up and ended up with the 1.1.2 without jaibreaking it before upgrading
Many thanks for the help!
gianluca

I read around here that Safari automatically extracts the file so if you are downloading it with Safari you need to find the setting and uncheck it to automatically extract downloads.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Great, fab, thanks, I'm now back to 1.1.1 jailbroken iPod with everything I like installed and I'm never going to upgrade again until someone makes the hack for the upgrade as easy as the hack for 1.1.1 is.

Thanks for taking that time to reply to my original message.

while in 1.1.1 go to installer and install oktoprep then update to 1.1.2 in itunes then use http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/1.1.2-jailbreak.zip and execute the OSX (for macs) or BAT (for windows) file whilst your ipod is hucked up to mac/pc and well should be straight forward from there

pogo23

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2007
London
Thanks for the suggestion KS-MAN, i downloaded it using firefox and i restored 1.1.1 I'll jailbreak again!

Maegulimavri

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2007
1.1.1 Downgrade for Safari users

guys, as i understand it, safari does indeed extract .zip files.

For 1.1.1 purposes, this renders the 1.1.1 file we all download, useless.

What you do is 'right-click', or 'ctrl-click' teh folder, and choose to compress it again — OSX should give you the .zip file again.

Then, you just re-name this to '....Restore.ipsw' — and you are cooking, iTunes will recognise this file.

Unfortunately i cannot confirm that this works for the downgrade, as i am yet to complete it, iTunes declares an unknown error whenever i try. Whether this is related to the 1.1.1 firmware file or not i an unsure — though i seriously doubt it.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
As a general point, it is good security-conscious practice to turn off 'Open "safe" files after download' in Safari and leave it off - leaving it turned on is opening a door to potential malware.

W4L

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
Guys, I'm getting unknown error (20) when I try to restore with the links you give me (when I download them) What should I do ???

rman1670

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
I can't downgrade my iPod

I have a iPod touch 2nd gen and when I try to downgrade safari won't let me.What should I do??

mgmusicman94

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
I have a iPod touch 2nd gen and when I try to downgrade safari won't let me.What should I do??

1. This thread is over 2 years old.
2. You've got to be a lot more specific than that to get any help.

Search the forum and if you seriously can't find any, ask on an appropriate thread or start a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.