Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Nov 14, 2007, 02:14 PM   #1
spawn135
macrumors newbie

How to archive/transfer fonts?

hello,
I got a new Mac, and need to transfer all the fonts from my old Mac to the new one.
How do I do it?

I can't figure it out. Also, what is the best font management tool out there for graphic designers?

Thanks
spawn135 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:34 PM   #2
TimTheEnchanter
macrumors 6502a

Hi spawn,
The easiest way to get fonts off your old Mac is by searching, collecting and copying to an external drive (if not networked). You can use Font Book to search-out and collect fonts. Once collected, copy them to the external drive and transfer them to your new Mac.

I recommend using Suitcase Fusion since it seems to be the most up-to-date utility right now. Font Book is okay, but not really good for agency production. I also suggest moving to only OpenType fonts for both quality and compatibility reasons, plus you get expanded character sets. If you're doing actual paying work, stick with mainstream quality fonts...I can't urge that enough. I see a lot of ads created with crap fonts that cause so many problems at print, pdf, web stages.

Here's a very useful Font guide Apple did for Tiger: http://images.apple.com/pro/pdf/L311277A_FontTT_v4.pdf
Well worth the read if you want to learn more about font management on Mac. Font management can be messy, so the more you know, the fewer problems you'll have.

Good luck!
TTE
RIP: too many Macs to list...AppleII-PMG5

Last edited by TimTheEnchanter; Nov 14, 2007 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo
TimTheEnchanter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 03:26 PM   #3
spawn135
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Hi spawn,
The easiest way to get fonts off your old Mac is by searching, collecting and copying to an external drive (if not networked). You can use Font Book to search-out and collect fonts. Once collected, copy them to the external drive and transfer them to your new Mac.

I recommend using Suitcase Fusion since it seems to be the most up-to-date utility right now. Font Book is okay, but not really good for agency production. I also suggest moving to only OpenType fonts for both quality and compatibility reasons, plus you get expanded character sets. If you're doing actual paying work, stick with mainstream quality fonts...I can't urge that enough. I see a lot of ads created with crap fonts that cause so many problems at print, pdf, web stages.

Here's a very useful Font guide Apple did for Tiger: http://images.apple.com/pro/pdf/L311277A_FontTT_v4.pdf
Well worth the read if you want to learn more about font management on Mac. Font management can be messy, so the more you know, the fewer problems you'll have.

Good luck!
TTE
Thank you TTE. That PDF is useful, especially in helping me find the folders where my fonts may be.
I do have an external hard drive, so I will try that out. Thank you for your help
Old Nov 15, 2007, 03:32 PM   #4
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

After years of disappointment, I would never touch another Extensis product again. Linotype FontExplorer X is easily on a par with Suitcase, possibly even more reliable, unless you're running from a server... and is free. It's now on all our production machines at work.

http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorerX

Instructive reading: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/fontmanagers.ars
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 04:49 PM   #5
Claytoniss
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
After years of disappointment, I would never touch another Extensis product again. Linotype FontExplorer X is easily on a par with Suitcase, possibly even more reliable, unless you're running from a server... and is free. It's now on all our production machines at work.

I am running fusion now tried FontExplorer X for a while. Fusion has bothered me for a while, theres lots of wierd things going on with it. I will be trying FontX at home again and see if I have any issues with.
Claytoniss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 05:01 PM   #6
spawn135
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytoniss View Post
I am running fusion now tried FontExplorer X for a while. Fusion has bothered me for a while, theres lots of wierd things going on with it. I will be trying FontX at home again and see if I have any issues with.
How come you're having issues with Fusion? What are the weird things?
Old Nov 15, 2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Claytoniss
macrumors regular

I have come across a typeface that wouldn't activate right and would shutdown my CS2 iD2 and my CS2 Ill programs when I tried to print. Also I spent forever organizing my fonts into serifs, san serifs, scripts, etc.. and lost them all on an upgrade. They were just pains to deal with, but it is what I am used to so I continue to use it. Plus paid money for it.
Claytoniss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:58 PM   #8
TimTheEnchanter
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post

Same here, Suitcase sucked since v8. I switched to FontAgent Pro years ago, but have had more problems with it over the past year or so with OS upgrades and switching to all OT fonts. I haven't seen any updates nor announcements from FAP, the trial version of Fusion worked very well for us (slow sometimes but stabile). The main thing for us was CS3 stability and Fusion promised that.

FontExplorer X very promising though. I didn't pay any attention to it before, but looking at the features and that review, I might have to give it a whirl. It's free but stacks-up well against the big boys. And the 'iTunes-esk" font store is very smart of LT...might never actually purchase fonts but a valuable resource to have in the manager.
RIP: too many Macs to list...AppleII-PMG5

Last edited by TimTheEnchanter; Nov 16, 2007 at 12:01 AM. Reason: typo
TimTheEnchanter is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics