Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddyb64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
UK, South Coast
Nice one this, and a defect I'd give a severity of Showstopper (which is a nice irony as you will see).

iTunes 7.5
Leopard 10.5
Intel iMac
Elgato EyeTV 2.5

After installing iTunes 7.5 all my TV Shows were converted to 1456 x 576, regardless of their original aspect ratio. Well, as nothing else has changed it is the strongest candidate for being the cause.

I have them on my AppleTV, and that is maintaining the original ratios, presumably because it's not re-synching them. Of course, I can't sync back to the Mac, and I can't switch off TV Show synching or it will remove them.

I no longer have the original EyeTV recordings from which they were converted using the default AppleTV export.

I may have them on my TimeMachine back up, but I am wary of going back to that with this version of iTunes lest the same thing happens again, though I expect it's the way I'll have to go.

I post this as a warning, to find out if others have encountered this, and in the outside hope that someone knows a solution.

Is it possible to hack the aspect ratio info in Unix? I'd rather avoid it but am competent if needs be (once I've shaken the rust off my old Unix neurons).

TIA if anyone can help.

Kind Regards
Eddy

andyg88

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
I too encountered this problem, albeit with handbrake encoded videos. I found that downloading and installing Perian fixed it.

eddyb64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
UK, South Coast
Thanks for the tip, Andy. I'll give Perian a look when I get a chance.

I asked a movie making friend of mine what aspect ratio 1456 x 476 is, thinking it was standard movie one. He said it's not a movie format, so that makes it even more puzzling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.