Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PupnTaco

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2007
My sister-in-law has a budget of $800 max and wants a MacBook... anyone here have experience buying a Mac on eBay? Or are there any other places you could recommend?

Apple's refurbs usually run $900 and of course a new one is only $1100 but that $800 budget is firm.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Ebay, or MacRumors Marketplace.

Of course you can give her the $100 difference for xmas on an Apple Gift Card and she can pick up a refurb. But that is somewhat pricey for an in-law xmas gift.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
My sister-in-law has a budget of $800 max and wants a MacBook... anyone here have experience buying a Mac on eBay? Or are there any other places you could recommend?

Apple's refurbs usually run $900 and of course a new one is only $1100 but that $800 budget is firm.

i think ebay is going to be your best bet because i don't think you will find a refurbished on apple for less than $800. just make sure that you buy from somebody who has very high feedback and you should be ok with ebay i think.

AthleticTrainer

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I would try your area's Craigslist. 1) you may find someone in your immediate area so you dont have to pay for any shipping 2) you may find a great deal.

I live in Houston, TX...and I found a black macbook for $1,000. It was only 3 months old and in GREAT condition. They also had someone selling a mid-level white Macbook for $875 or so.

http://www.craigslist.org

NOTE: DO NOT even bother with any in which they ask you to mail payment or what not. Only look into the ones where they are local and you can pickup the computer in person.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
A great place would be at a local college or university. She could place an ad in the school newspaper and describe what she wants and how much she is willing to pay.

I've seen this work for several friends in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.