Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:24 PM   #1
larrymassive
macrumors newbie

how to stop texts from being shown on home screen

Hi there i just noticed today that a text that my wife sent me was on full show when i had my iphone in sleep mode and was just wondering if there is anyway of changing this so the text can only be viewed if i open the sms option? Just seems silly if someone sends you a private text and you then say show a friend the phone because they would like to look at it but theres this private text staring them in the face. My old nokia would have the option for sms preview on the home screen but i had the option to turn it off so all my texts could only be seen if i went in to the text inbox

i have looked everywhere for an option with no luck,

cheers
larrymassive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:41 PM   #2
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

The solution is simple: don't let friends use your iPhone
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 06:47 PM   #3
sparkyms
macrumors 65816

you wana tell your wife to stop sending dirty texts while you're with your friends.

Seriously though, I don't think you can turn it off. I know if you put a passcode on it (asks you to enter before you can wake it) you can turn it off there. But other than that theres no option.
sparkyms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 07:12 PM   #4
TheNightPhoenix
macrumors 6502

settings/general/passcode lock/show sms preview

Easy as.
TheNightPhoenix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 07:16 PM   #5
larrymassive
macrumors newbie

ok thanks guys!
larrymassive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2009, 02:33 AM   #6
slappyfrog
macrumors newbie

For OS 3.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymassive View Post
Hi there i just noticed today that a text that my wife sent me was on full show when i had my iphone in sleep mode and was just wondering if there is anyway of changing this so the text can only be viewed if i open the sms option? Just seems silly if someone sends you a private text and you then say show a friend the phone because they would like to look at it but theres this private text staring them in the face. My old nokia would have the option for sms preview on the home screen but i had the option to turn it off so all my texts could only be seen if i went in to the text inbox

i have looked everywhere for an option with no luck,

cheers
Try also settings - messages - 'show preview'

Found this forum through a search engine and the menus on my phone are different, leaving this note in case any one else wanders in
slappyfrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting